Favorite / best KSW weapon?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by ember, Jul 3, 2006.

1. You Won Hwa

You Won Hwa Valued Member

These are the regulation competition throwing knives:
    United Cutlery Hibben Generation 2 Large Triple Thrower Set w/sheath

These are model number GH2011. The regulation competition throwing knife has changed recently to a smaller knife, so some people may still have the old knives. The new knife is about half the size and weight of the old ones, and eveidently, about a third of the price. It is almost exactly the same knives KSW_123 has. I guess there is SOME leeway for differences.

More of the same brand throwing knives are here but I'd be very careful about buying something different and expecting to use them in competition.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  2. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

I was told that the knives that they used to use at headquarters were the Hibben thrower III (UC456), but since they don't make them anymore they are switching to the GH-2011.

3. MIKIO

MIKIO Valued Member

since im a yellow belt i am not trained in any syllabus weaponry but i am currently studying Jool Bong (although not through default) i just love practicing with them.....now this may seem strange or even funny and may simply incur curiosity but i have created and written my own Jool Bong form!
    im also in the middle of recording it!
    its about the same length as Ki Cho Hyung.

im looking formard to learning to use Dahn Bong.
    i much prefer short range weapons although i have no means of comparison!!!!
    Mikio

4. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I think that is great that you made your own form up. I think as time goes on, if you still practice your form, you will continue to modify it and make it better. I think everyone should make up their own forms.

5. swntzu

swntzu has left MAP for a bit

I've found that after white belt, new techniques seem to "come" more easily. What do you think? I know that Ki Cho Hyung was much hard to learn than Cho Geup Hyung (at their respective time). Same for Ki Bohn Soo and Sohn Mohk Soo.

I'm not really a fan of Jool Bong but I can appreciate the flowing nature of the weapon. From what I've seem of you in before and after class, I'm looking forward to seeing the video soon. Be sure to stick it on YouTube!

I'm also looking forward to learning Dahn Bong, but I'm really excited about Jung Bong as it's not too far off (if I keep training and testing consistently.) I have a personal taste for longer range weapons such as the the aforementioned Jung Bong and the Six and a Half Point Pole from Wing Chun (It's nine feet long!!!:eek:). Now that's a weapon I'd like to learn!

I suppose I'd better stop babbling about weapons and get working on my roundhouse kick!

6. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

I love watching the techniques for cane :D Ah, the pleasure of watching other peoples faces who are watching them.

7. MIKIO

MIKIO Valued Member

never thought about posting it on YouTube! in fact wasny sure where i was going to put it in the first place! but cheers!

i agree about your form statement im finding Cho Geup Hyung easyer than Ki Cho Hyung!
    ill get my form on line as soon as possible!

8. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Ki Cho Hyung is more difficult than a lot of BB forms from other styles. Cho Geup is markedly easier.

9. ember

ember Valued Member

I kept getting turned around on Ki Cho Hyung when I started out. #1, after the punch, did radically different things than any other form I'd ever studied. I'd gotten used to thinking about what the pattern on the floor would look like - but here there wasn't one.

Since most of my TKD and Shotokan practices were with linear moves, Cho Geup Hyung was rather easier.

10. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

I'm not in a possition to make a comparison since I've known all of KCH for over 3 months, and I started learning CGH less than 2 months ago, but can you explain why? Is it all because of KCH part 6?

11. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

The total # of movements
    the variety of movements,
    the difficulty of the movements
    the sequence of the movements.
    the method of transition from one movement to the next (non-robotic)
    breathing application ( which no one does)
    in line vs parallel stances
    the lack of pattern symmetry.

this is part of the reason why tkd/tsd/karate is so popular, it's easy to memorize if it's easy anyone can do it, if anyone can do it the market for practicioners is larger and everyone feels good when they do it because the challenge is minimal by comparison. Its also the reason why many quit ksw. its easier to get a tkd black belt.

12. CJ

CJ Killer of all the B.S.

True

13. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

lol thats opened up a can of worms :D ;)

14. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Well I've got both and whilst the work equally difficult, When you compare the complexity of skills involved it's not even close.