Fantasy stories, comics, etc.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Nachi, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Hey guys :)
    so after some struggle and with some mistakes still, I sent those who agreed to volunteer a PM with the link to the first chapter!
    Let me know any opinion you may have, please! ^^

...I hope I didn't forget anyone.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Read and replied

Nachi likes this.
  3. Nachi

As a tiny update, I have been working on my comic for these past couple of months. It is not too easy and takes time. Doing it after work, I sacrificed all my remaining free time, some sleep, worked on my holiday just to make the required chapters and to make a comic that I like. I have just reached the required number of chapters for the competition, but want to make one more where there will finally be some proper dialogue.
    I don't have much of an audition on the site, which is quite bad as it is part of the judging criteria. I don't really believe I could win, but it would still be nice. Sadly, just in my category, there are already more than 2000 titles participating in the competition and only two will be selected :D So... you can count my chances :oops: But I fully expected this :D

Even if winning is impossible, I have to believe in myself and I am still enjoying creating the comic and will see where it takes me to. Just now my comic has also been selected to be put into "recommended titles", which is awesome as I am finally getting noticed a little and getting some positive feedback too, which is incredibly encouraging :) Although I am far far behind any remotely popular titles there. Still, I never thought I would get recommended, so it's all awesome ^^

I just wanted to share this since I already started a thread about it. And also, sort of encourage people who may, like me, have a story in mind, to start writing it or whatever, it is really fun and fulfilling when you can create something! :)

Latikos and Ero-Sennin like this.
  4. Nachi

Just an update, I wanted to share my happiness and thought to do it here rather than in the general forum.

My comic has been (among others, of course) picked by the site's editors and promoted yet again, on the front page together with a few other titles this time! They change the comics there probably once a week (I am still there after a few days!), but this is nice and brings great exposure! As for popularity in the contest, which is also part of the judging criteria, it brought me to the top 50 in my category! Out of 2200 comics, it is in the top 2%!!! My chances are still very low I suppose, there are great differences between the ones at the very top and mine, but this is sooo nice and encouraging that people are actually reading something I write! I suppose I have to continue updating now to not disappoint and lose my readers! :)

5. Nachi

I forgot to write here how things went. I haven't won the contest, which was to be expected. I realized that for participating further, there was one thing I probably couldn't do at the moment anyway, so I wasn't that disheartened about it. Or I was reconciled with it. There were nearly 7000 entries in four categories, mine being one of the two biggest. And only 2 winners from each. So a pretty tough competition if you ask me :D However, a few days later I found out I was in about the 200 honorable mentions, which I find simply awesome and a great achievement still!
    I really enjoyed the experience anyway, although it was quite difficult and very time consuming. I am going to continue updating my story, but at a more manageable pace. Therefore, if anyone is interested (and I have to say I am a quite shy about it - I haven't even shown my friends, but) I will be putting a link in my signature.

SWC Sifu Ben and Travess like this.
  6. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I've only had a chance to look at the 1st 2 chapters so far (but I think my 2-year-old has managed to scroll thru all 6, everytime that she has stolen my phone from me!) and even though comics/graphic novels are not something that I have any real knowledge about, I seriously can't imagine you'd have any trouble what so ever, seeing this all the way through to publication, if that is what you wanted to.

Travess

Nachi likes this.
  7. Nachi

Thanks a lot! That is nice to hear :) I am not sure I would ever publish it - as in making a physical book. It would be cool, no doubt, but the page format is quite different fromt the scrolling one. I know there are some authors who are converting the format to the scrolling, but I suppose the other way around would be even more difficult and maybe not worth it. The site I am now uploading it to, is huge however, and it is possible to make a profit from if one is really good and popular (really not my case now). The whole site is getting bigger and bigger, though, and the audience is growing fast, too.