Fans on Planes?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by aaradia, May 28, 2014.

1. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Put it in your checked luggage and you'll be fine. I have carried blades across borders. You only take a risk if try to take something carry on that might arouse suspicion.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Buy one online and have it sent nextday delivery to your destination.
    Then check it in or post it on the way back.

3. GenghisK

GenghisK Jiu Jitsu Kempoka

I'd also say either check it in, which should be fine, or for larger and heavier weapons - post it. Problems only really exist with hand baggage, or items that could potentially endanger the aircraft such as compressed gasses or chemicals.

(For what it's worth, I work in aviation, and also travel a lot, quite often taking things with me that could potentially disturb security people. )

G

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Thanks everyone. I did take what everone said into consideration.

I did end up packing it in my carryon luggage, as I only had one carryon luggage piece total. (Well, except the 4th plane decided it was too big and made me check it. The other three thought it was the right size. Weird.) I decided I have several, and if they take it that was fine. They aren't that expensive.

No problems at all. No questions, nothing. smooth as could be.

Got some TCC practice, including my fan forms, in on my vacation. Didn't do any CLF though, way too humid and hot. Besides with limited time to practice, I wanted to focus on my TCC as I (hopefully) have a big test coming up soon for TCC.

5. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

I think, because everybody here studies martial arts, and see the fan as a TMA weapon, that peoples opinion becomes biased by experience.

However, for those who have no knowledge of martial arts, it is "Oh, he has a fan" kind of thing.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's an excellent point

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

What kind of fan did you have?

8. aaradia

Typical bamboo fan used in many TCMA's.

9. 47MartialMan

Did they think it was decoration?

10. aaradia

Never asked about it at all. Weren't concerned in the slightest. Went through the x-ray machine and gave it to me.

11. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Erm... From a security perspective, one must ask the following:

1. Is this item dangerous?
    2. Could this item be quickly adapted or combined with another to be dangerous?
    3. Is this item on the banned list my bosses sent me?

Sure, the tines in a bamboo fan could be sharpened/snapped so as to create a makeshift shank, but then by extension, laptop batteries, metal cans, plastic bags, paracord, etc... would also have to get the boot. Boots too, in fact. Where do you draw the line???

Ultimately, if it's not on the list, then it is what you say it is. If you say it's a souvenir, it's a souvenir. If it's to keep you cool while you're smothered in the fat-folds of your fellow traveller, then that's exactly what it is. If it is a makeshift device for you to use to combat an attempted hijacking or unruly passenger, then it is classed as an offensive weapon due to your intent, rather than its design.

Unfortunately, due to the culture in the west being what it is, we are being pushed further and further into a mindset of compliance and self-disarmament. To the point where we suspect ourselves of wrong-doing, even when we do not have the means nor motive to do so.

Historically, as far as fans and their potential risk is concerned, the only types of fans we need to be wary of are the creepy ones who lurk courtside with a kitchen knife in their pocket... ;)

12. 47MartialMan

I guess as long it wasn't metal or looked intimidating