Extra curricular activities...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Flinty, May 24, 2008.

1. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

Yep.
    Im 'bout to be a Junior in high-school.
    Now I gotta start worrying about colleges and what not. Thing is, I havent done any extra-curricular school activities. Not really into team sports, and most of the things they have (yearbook, student council etc.) just dont interest me at all. Do colleges pay attention to out-of-school sports also? I would think that I could put martial arts into my admission letter thingy... and how much do they pay attention to school activities anyway? I've had solid grades so far (a's and b's, rarely c's). I have no idea what I want to do yet either...

Can anyone enlighten me por favor?
    :D:D:D:D

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

yes you do extra curricular activities. they're called martial arts. and don't worry about college until you know what is available and what you REALLY want to do. it'll save you a lot of bother AND a lot of dissapointment. most specialized high school learning starts around this stage, so it's here that you will START actually deciding what you want.

3. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

You're 15. Stop worrying about college and just enjoy yourself :)

4. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

Yeah i kno :p
    Its jus in the near future. Its not something i fret about...just something that i think about...its not bad to think about this kinda stuff ahead

Fish
    I know martial arts is considered extra curricular, its just not school related, and i wasn't sure if colleges payed attention to things outside of school.
    Im thinking maybe medical field? not sure yet.. ur right though i shouldnt be thinking to much into it until i actually know what i want to do.

5. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

You could look into going to uni in the UK. They couldn't seem to care less about extra-curricular activities (unless you want to do medicine). I was quite put off applying to American colleges because of the focus on extra-curricular activities.

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Plastic surgeon;)

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah you could always go that route.. then give yourself a 36DD boob job and then just stay in and pour yourself drinks and touch yourself up. Think of the money you'd save. Awesome.

8. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

In the UK, medical schools usually want you to have done some work in a hospital or some other sort of medical environment. I think it's to make sure that people actually know what they're getting themselves in for. There are quite a lot of people that are adamant that they want to be a doctor, but completely change their mind after doing the necessary work experience.

9. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

It's easy for me to say, but just don't fret about the future. Make the most of what opportunities you have, and just do what you really want to do. You'll have plenty of time for fretting in the future, and it's quite amazing the things that will happen which you could never have planned for anyway. Bah.

As for UK universities that LJoll mentioned, they would be a different experience for you. But in terms of costs, as a non-EU student you would likely be paying about the same as a domestic student in the US (I don't know precisely, but non-European fees are quite steep).

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

~ £10K a year, last I heard

11. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

REALLY?!

I graduated 5yrs ago, I paid £4k p/a for my 4yr course.

12. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

More information is needed. Where did you do it? Were you paying EU fees?

Fees in general have gone up at some point in the last two years, for domestic as well as, inevitably, foregin students.

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I only know one. Earns £26000 a week! :cool:

14. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

If you actually are considering going into medicine, I would spend some time in the hospital setting now. I don't know how many people go through their degrees and get into med school (or nursing school for that matter) get into the hospital and suddenly realize that the last four to six years was a wasted effort and drop out. Better to know now before you spend that money.

And at least medical school is easier then nursing school, so good job there. ;)

15. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

University of Ulster, Coleraine here in Northern Ireland.

Not sure what you mean by EU fees. I live in NI, so probably not....

16. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

All I know is, I just graduated from nursing school with the grand total of about 40,000 dollars worth of student loan debt. What ever you do, find scholarships!

17. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Pretty sure that everyone in the EU pays the same fees. i.e a Spanish student in a UK uni would not pay overseas fees, but would pay the same as an English student.

18. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Really? I didn't know that. Although most of the international students I know are from India, which isn't in the EU...yet.