ever been tapped out by a girl ?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by natxanadu, Mar 13, 2004.

1. yes

yes Banned Banned

I didn't understand your use of the term 'master'. To be a master, I thought one would have to be extremely technical, hence 'jiu jitsu maters' beating up bigger and stronger opponents because they are less skilled.

It's possible for a smaller guy to submit a bigger guy, but if they are of the same skill level, then the stronger guy will win... so size and strength do matter! It's NOT ONLY to do with speed. Speed will help, yes... as will strength and size!

2. Chris.B

Chris.B New Member

My sensai is a girl, and she beats on tons of people. To make it worst she's like 5'1 and, she just....she can beat on like 10 people at once. She's....just...to...fast... :cry: :cry: ...it's no fair.... :cry:

3. totality

totality New Member

well hey now, you're changing your story! that's cheating, mon ami. "even if one dude was 100 pounds heavier, then the lighter one could still lock him and submit him." NO CRAP. i suggest you get out a bit more, and catch up with the rest of us, because you're stuck in 1990. we all know that's possible, it's your argument that strength is worthless and speed is everything that everyone disagreed with. perhaps you've mistaken technique for speed? odd...

4. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

it helps to actually quote what i said...neway, all you people always say size always matter. it doesn't always. when you're standing, it does. it doesn't a genius to get that. but when you're on the ground as in jiu-jitsu (you know, ground fighting...) it doesn't matter. the more skilled will win. if they're both evenly matched, then it's a toss up.

5. totality

totality New Member

sweet zombie jesus, you are my new favorite newb.
    that is a verbatim quote, my friend. size DOES always matter, it is a fact. of course the more skilled person will generally win, that's what we've been telling you. it just so happens you've been trying to convince us that it's speed, and not skill, that dominates on the ground.

now, i recommend you go break some boards or do some point sparring, you'll feel better. i promise. :D

6. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Seeing as you said "it helps to actually quote what i said" then here you go, you seem to unequivocally here state that size doesn't matter one jot...
    Id like to know where size just "DISAPPEARS" too when your on the ground- someone standing up has the same mass as they do on the ground and if your referring to how well they know how to use that mass I dont see why that should only apply to the ground? Is there no skill involved in standup fighting or something? Also something that seems to be not hitting home is that everyone here that is stating size matters arent suggesting a smaller person cant beat a bigger person- they are just saying "size matters" and it does!

Oh and heres your quote for saying size always matters in standup but not on the ground...

7. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

8. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

There are no women in my bjj class :( , so I have not been tapped out by a girl yet.

9. totality

totality New Member

sigh...HOLY CRAP GUYS, HE"S RIGHT@!!!17 jujitsu is based on leverage. thank you for reminding us. skill > strength. we know. in case you'd forgotten, you claimed that speed was more important than strength AND you never even mentioned skill. however, strength is still very real in grappling. that's why it's possible for someone to power out of submissions. jujitsu isn't just "being faster" than your opponent, and skill can only take you so far. the ground game revolves around applying the greatest amount of your STRENGTH to the least amount of their STRENGTH. hence, armbar, you're using your entire body (strength) to overpower and then hyperextend their arm. if their arm is stronger than the amount of strength you apply to it, then it will win. simple.

and physiology is more applicable to grappling than physics.

10. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Sheesh not the old Physics arguments, my brother makes his living from teaching physics and I can tell you right now that having a degree in Physics doesnt make you any more qualified to make statements about Martial Arts. And having read that article I am no more convinced that your size plays no factor in ground combat and Im further not convinced by the fact that the article has no support material, related articles, links or books at the end. And by the way Nvr4evr dont take any of this too seriously. I mean your opinion has created some 'feedback' but then thats a good thing, I mean this is a discussion forum :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2004
  11. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

another one of my defects....maybe i should have a neon sign pointing that out

12. Coyote

Coyote New Member

Just weighing in....

Okay-- first, yes, I have been tapped by a gurl-- also by women. It's no big. I have not often been tapped by someone smaller than me, though. Occasionally, but not often. Yes, the women who tapped me were in good (excellent) physical shape. Yes, it was an honest pin (I don't like tapping, either.) Yes, I have also beaten all of the women who beat me on the floor. Also no big.

Weighing in on the strength/size vs. speed, debate, however, I gotta say that really big, really strong guys *do* have a serious advantage. For one thing, with rare exceptions, both fat people and muscular people tend to have a higher degree of pain tolerance than your average joe on the street. Speed is nice, but if the other guys a lot bigger than you, you probably want to use it to get away and get up-- and then kick the horse in the head or the nads-- otherwise, you're just asking for him to roll over on top of you and end the fight purely by smothering your butt. Just my two cents, but speaking from experience.

ciao.

13. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

ok...you win. :rolleyes:

14. Thorstein

Thorstein New Member

Yes..

Well, enyone heard of Camilla Gjeldsten, from Norway?? She got bronze in the world championship..!!!!!
    Anyway she's from Norway, and I've trained/sparred with her... :bang:
    AND; yess I had to tapp out... :cry:

http://rsw.hp.infoseek.co.jp/as/news/camilla_e.shtml

:eek: :eek:

15. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

My Partner tapped me the other day with a head scissors,she's so awesome :love:

Girls,ladies,women are generally better at locking and such than guys. Guys use strength,it's programed for guys to instictively do that, whereas girls use subtlety,in everything they do! That's why girls can often,and do often,tap guys out,i've learnt it,seen it,decided to take a lesson out of it. Strenght helps alot though :)

16. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

Whenever I do groundwork with someone significantly smaller than me, I could easily muscle through many of their moves, even if they are more skilled than me. If they were my size, they would dominate, but the fact that they are smaller than me gives me a great advantage.

17. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

Yep..It was during a self defence class that my friend asked me to attend to provide some law enforcement pointers..This 5'4 under 100 lbs female tied me up when we were playing around, no one told me that she was a 2nd Dan in Judo..I gained tremendous face by telling all the macho guys that there was no shame in tapping out..

18. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I've never been tapped out by a girl. Mainly due to the fact we have no girls at our club. There are a few at the other club i go to on thursdays, but i havent grappled with them yet.

At the end of the day, a technique is a technique, no matter who applies it. So if your going to resist tapping out simply because its a girl submitting you, then your a fool.

19. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

So very true,one of the best things i've read... RESIST TAPPING AT ALL COSTS REGARDLESS OF GENDER!!! :p j/k

20. Yashka

Yashka New Member

I have the exact same feelings when I think about losing to a guy. And I deal with them. It's going to happen. There are people out there with more skill than yourself, rage against it as much as you like, they exist.

Of course you gained face. A person who can cast aside their ego, commands more respect than someone who is full of macho pride, if you ask me.