'Essential batto & Kenjutsu: Killing Arts Of the Japanese Sword'

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Dead_pool, Oct 21, 2012.

1. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Remember this? ;)

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I can't see how any sane and intelligent person would want to train in that Ninja nonsense.

All them daft shoes and funky masks........

:whistle:

:D

Well at least they don't wear skirts during keiko.

3. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

I wear a skirt, in fact a tutu, beneath my keikogi...

And I had to train for many years before graduating to cameltoe shoes!

:D

4. Dean Winchester

Have to agree here.

Why not leave Mr McCarnun be, it's not on to launch into him and then continue to do so after he's made steps towards moving in the direction everyone has said he should be going.

Come on guys less of the bitch fest.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  5. gapjumper

Agreed then.

And hey, any injured junseiryu students is not our fault, right?

6. Dave Thatcher

Dave Thatcher New Member

Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone. The 80's comment was a joke, like the Ninja that visited my dojo in black gear/mask and came on the bus. I asked him did it attract attention, he said that the conductor didn't charge him?

I did go along to a Hatsumi course, I watched on the side lines as to me it was just BS. That's my view. The guy had really skinny arms. How could he fence, my years of iai and Kendo have built my arms up, I've got abnormal stuff going on. With years of Ju-Jitsu under my belt together with the JSA, how could I take this teacake Ninja for believable.

7. gapjumper

Nobody offended.

Just amused.

8. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Memory lapses again mate ? ;)

9. Dean Winchester

Yeah, I'm still concussed from that shuto you gave me.

I made the shoes look s3xy though. :D

10. Dave Thatcher

Dave Thatcher New Member

11. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

My point was more that the postural concepts, cutting methods (and angles), mechanics, tactics, timing, hyoshi, riai etc were rather removed, and, in cases, completely opposite to Katori Shinto Ryu methodology.

Sending you a PM on that one...

Agreed. The main thing I was commenting on wasn't aimed at any critique, just that there wasn't any Katori semblance that I could see, even taking into account the link to copying Deity and the Sword mentioned earlier.

As Scott said, Dave...

12. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yeah you might want to take a swing by the Terms of Service just so you know exactly where the line is. I have a feeling you may be walking it from time to time.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/terms.php

The Bear.

13. rottunpunk

rottunpunk Valued Member

I am sorry to hear the meeting had to be cancelled.
    I hope you both are able to re-arrange something soon

SASchofield, I am sorry to hear that you are quitting
    I hope you are able find yourself, and something that is for you soon.

Life can sometimes get in the way of martial arts, but the real stuff is always there for you to go back to or begin at anytime in your life (well maybe not TKD for an 80 year old zimmer frame pushing granny, but you know what i mean :D )

14. ScottUK

Morning All,

I met with Taran last night in Birmingham and had a good chat. From first impressions he seems to be a very decent chap, very dedicated to his study and all round the kind of guy you'd want to train alongside.

We talked about Junsei, its' shortcomings and potential futures it may or may not have. I was not too polite (as usual) but Taran took my comments on the chin, argued some points and conceded others. We discussed his promoting of the club via Facebook, Youtube etc, and we both agreed that it was a necessary evil, and probably the cause of all the trouble in the first place. To make his dojo financially viable, he has to compete against others who have impressive marketing strategies in place. He has posted videos that have impressed some but got other people riled up - which has led to this MAP thread. His teacher (Ash) said to me via PM on Facebook, the weapons-side of Junsei-ryu has been created from jujutsu principles without any formal basis. Taran conceded this and expressed his desire to learn formally.

Even though he is interested in becoming a student of a formal weapons ryuha, I explained that he wouldn't be taken seriously while he posts videos of bukiwaza with gaping holes in them that even a 12-month student of said weapons can see. The result is that if you take a look at the Junsei website now, you will see that Taran has taken down much (if not all) of the weapons stuff, and is considering how to move Junsei forwards.

The problem with this is I suspect he will lose a lot more students with the change. Some will ask questions and not appreciate or understand the answers and walk away, but I hope that with any change, he will retain his loyal guys and they can accept that some elements will disappear from the curriculum that they have worked hard at - but at least they can be part of any new study from Day One and apply their experience/abilities to whatever may come.

I suspect we'll be talking lots more in the near future and I hope to point him at a teacher in the near future so that Junsei can become a dojo that has:

A) a RBSD art taught by Taran based upon his study under Ash McKee, and
    B) a formal weapons art that Taran and his students will study together with Taran acting as study group leader.

Best of luck to him and his guys with any choices they make over the coming weeks/months.

15. gapjumper

Sounds like a productive meeting.

What has he decided to do with the sword book he has released that may endanger students (if they grab the blade as he did in the videos)?

16. ScottUK

I will pose this question to him later when we resume our chat.

17. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Does that mean we won't be getting any more stellar performances like this one? :cry:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNYDSCYrfAI"]Junsei Ryu Basic Tessen Kata (First Movements Of The Iron Fan) [/ame]

It's evident from this clip that tessenjutsu is not something they have formally learned or even properly researched.

18. ScottUK

I suspect not.

19. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rqTO-nonWA"]Hurrah! - YouTube[/ame]

20. Dave Thatcher

Dave Thatcher New Member

Great - productive! If students leave its the price of doing it the right way. If they are loyal they will remain and actually begin to learn something that's not Micky Mouse.

I respect Tarun for taking this on the chin.

[Instead of actually reading the TOS as asked by this kind moderator I am instead choosing to irritate him by putting masked obscenity into my post. ~ The Bear]

And I guess at some point Tarun will get to meet you, it's better to support the guy, who in a way has been the victim of his fibbing sensei. If this was you and you woke up one day to realise that everything you knew was fake, well you wouldn't be too proud, or appreciate koryu snobs sticking the knife in any further.

Scott, well done mate, you offered a hand in friendship. Talk ta ya on facebook.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012