Eskrima interactive lessons?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Saved_in_Blood, May 12, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

oh, it's spelled like that? Oops

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Another fun strike is the doblete.

3. Saved_in_Blood

Well don't be shy, show me how to do it please :) or maybe there is s YouTube vid you know of off hand?
    I tried to find the floriti, but no luck. I need to see it slower though. The one vid the guy is just to fast lol

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  4. shootodog

doblete is a double hit redonda. you do a redonda. small circle down (or which ever way the redonda was going), then hit again.

the usual is that the first strike is the harder one. this is ok but a misconception. the doblete is a set-up. the first hit is normal strength and the second hit is harder than the first contact.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Oh I see... very interesting.

6. shootodog

It makes te sound pahPAK!

7. Saved_in_Blood

so, I was thinking about it last night and this morning... the 12 strike for instance... obviously if you don't have a blade, you are not going to move through the target (unless the persons head explodes which is gross) so you would have to reposition to either do say the head strike to a knee strike, but if moving to the other side, is it quickly "parking" or however the term is used... and then moving to backhand strikes? I understand yes, I need a teacher, but there are none around here. I even put an ad on craigslist and didn't get any crazy people responses. There is NO FMA places. The one guy that I know of only did the interactive lessons that I had asked about. Granted the Grandmaster or whatever they are called in this type of MA... Guru maybe? did come twice a year and looked him over before certifying him, but that was it. I don't feel this is a good qualification though.

8. shootodog

For static drills and dummy drills, you hit all the way through. Let the arc form and continue through. Why? because the human body will react to the strike. It will try to move out of the way after the contact.

Yes, guro = teacher.

9. Saved_in_Blood

ok, so you would strike a bag or whatever and then sort of let the stick come back a bit so that you could strike through the target so to speak and return with a backhand strike?

I hope that makes some sort of sense.

10. shootodog

No you hit all the way through. you are hitting with the first 5 inches of the stick. Trust me, it will swing through. BUT if the weapon does not go through, what you can do is transition to one of these:

witik, lastiko, redonda, doblete.

11. Saved_in_Blood

ok that makes sense

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Think about the targets SiB. In FMA, the hands are primary targets. Believe me, you'd have no trouble flowing through a forehand or backhand strike to someone's hand. Same with the head generally speaking. But as Shooto pointed out, there's also a real emphasis on reversing momentum when you hit a solid target, using the bounch back to power a shot on a different line. Think of it like a trampoline. It resists your downward action and sends you shooting back upward. Resistance to your olisi (stick) does a similar thing. You flow straight into abaniko or something. Or you rebound a bit and reenter on a slightly different line (e.g., you swing at the head, he blocks with his stick, you rebound slightly and immediately slash across the ribs instead).

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Here are some more ideas from Benjamin "Lonely Dog" Rittiner

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx4CDgnEhkI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx4CDgnEhkI[/ame]

14. Saved_in_Blood

ok, awesome... thank you all for the help. So a good practice routine would just be say with my Wife, friend, etc just single stick to stick strike to the would be head, knees, blocking to the rib are and top of the head? Of course I do mean VERY slowly with a softer, lighter wood. At least it is a type of resistance and helps to build that coordination.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's an option. Could you hang a tire from a tree in the yard? That's a pretty common training apparatus. Because it's round, it offers a good surface for all the varying angles used in FMA. And because it's solid, it's a good way to learn how to hit hard AND flow through the target.

16. Hannibal

If you have a willing partner, hockey/boxing gloves and some eye protection i have an option for you....failing that you will need a wall bracket and a spare stick or a weighterd stand for a parasol (such as you might find on a patio set) and a 6 ft staff

Let me know which you can procure first

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Funnily enough, I ran a drill recently with a Modern Arnis group I've been visiting. Involving padded sticks, a hockey glove, a boxing glove, and a training dagger.

I wanted to work on two things: 1) targeting the hands and 2) zoning away from the secondary weapon. So I (the poor idiot with the padding) had espada y daga. The other guys evaded the first shot using lastiko, countering to the hand with ocho ocho, abaniko, or whatever would clear my weapon and leave them on the outside of lead side (zoned away from the knife I was coming in with next). Then they hit my knife hand (the boxing glove with the training knife tucked into it) and finished off with the head/knee/body shots.

Good fun.

18. Hannibal

Sounds like a variation on a numerada drill I teach - and yes it is indeed good fun!!

19. Saved_in_Blood

Yeah, i'm sure I could pick one up somewhere... just a matter of where I could hang it. No trees in the back and my Wife won't like a tire hanging in the front of the house lol.

20. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

My wife use to hang a tyre from the front of her house before we lived together. She also had a 6 foot bag hanging in the living room. Ah get your wife to take up FMA. ;)