End of the world, science has agreed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Yama Tombo, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Compare and contrast #1
    Most religions believe in an 'end of the world' prophecy.

I guess on the same hand, science has made their own 'predictions' that world will end (without the help of god.)

Compare and contrast #2
    Christian believes fire will rain down from the sky, so do the Inkas or aztecs believe in fire raining down. (I don't know any other end of the world prophecies so far.) oh, yeah, aliens will come and pick us up

Science predicts the sun will blow up and/or go out causing another ice age. Also, astronomers have observed a comet or a cluster of meteorites they believe might be headed on a path towards the earth the path that could kill us like the dino; they believe will either one will hit the earth in our life time. there is believed to be a reversal of gravity. (Forgive, me if I missed any other.)

Compare and contrast # 3
    Religion believes the end is near.

Science believes the end of the world is thousands if not billions of years away.

Why isn't it logical idea to believe in God? When ancient civilizations have already made predictions of the end of the world? Or will this be another case of the dog fetching the invisible stick? Does not science support religion in any fashion?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  2. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

Well, that above example shows why science is more believable than god. Or do you think "near" means end of this year ? Next month ? And why isn't it
    logical to believe in god ? Simple answer. Because believing has nothing to do with logic. I can also believe their are aliens from another planet, science probably could provide me with enough prove that I'm onto a hoax with this. Believing in god has nothing to do with dealing with logical facts or truth but your own interpretation in what you think is god. Its on a spritual and emotional level and has nothing to do with logic.

Christian

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The Sun wont blow up and wont 'go out' for hundreds of millions of years, and when it does go out, it will cook the earth first.

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

No.

5. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

thats if individual doesn't want to make the connection between the two. science really never disproves god or proves god, it's just how the individual preceives the evidence. then they say god does or doesn't exist.

This is a 'connection' between religion and science. Religion believes in the end of the world and science has made it's own prediction that there will be catsatrophe. I would see this a pure luck that ancient civilization guessed the end of the world, since they had a vague understanding of the cosmos and everything around them.

I doubt a lucky guess, because if inkas or aztecs believe fire will rain down from the sky and astronomers observed comets or cluster meteorites heading our way; comets or meteorites hitting us sometime soon in our life time....then again I don't believe time is written in stone either.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  6. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Think of it not as the end of the world. But as a cleansing, from all of the karma activity that has been in place. The Mayans disliked the fact that people had being calling it the end of the world. It's not the end of the world, it's a new age of the world, or a new cycle of the world.

But there are side-effects to the "new change"

A phophacy is not written in stone, and it could be changeable. But some interesting predictions is leading to the Prophacy's as being true of what some of the events had occured, it could tilt in a new direction, or it could lead to that same path that we are headed for.

It's important for us to start loving one another, and looking into the light, rather than being burdened by fear, and hopelessness.

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Science doesn't even agree with science half the time, that's one of the best things about it.

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is something interesting that somebody told me. I don't know if it is reliable or not . . . but here it goes (they said they saw it on a documentary thing on TV )

In around 2010 - 2011 scientist think that there will be an exceptionally large sun burst (the sun already does this but not so bad that it could hurt us) that will be strong enough to turn our atmosphere into an oval shape and do something to our electro magnetisphere and whatnot that will end up destroying all of our electrical equipment. Also, that it will probably take 10 years afterwards to get back to the state we are at now if this happens (which it probably wont because a lot of places will be total chaos). Also, if global warming isn't fixed (if it can be fixed . . .) then the damge from that will be extrodinary in around the same time the sun burst is anticipated. So not only will we have fire reigning from the sky (so it will seem) but we will also have all those nasty natural disasters that are predicted in the Bible.

So guys, practice your martial arts and practice them hard, because if all this stuff happens, you better believe you'll be using them : P.

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Wrong. Science says that the end WILL come in billions of years, but there is a good chance it will happen much sooner. We don't have the resources to watch the entire sky. The comet that will kill us might be 5 minutes away for all we know.

And no, it doesn't support religion. Ancient people didn't know what was going on, but now we know. Fire raining down is like when a volcano explodes or meteors fall. That has been happening forever now. They just didn't know what it was at the time.

Science wins again!

10. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Cosmic rays will actually screw up electrical equipment. But Martial Arts isn't needed at all cause you won't be needing it cause you won't be able to use your abilities. People will go chaotic because they are facing an reality that has been created from their karma, as i'm assuming that a new world is being refreshed in the process of that.

Anyways Martial Arts is nothing compared to face mother nature with. The only thing you can do by practicing Martial Arts is knowing of how to be aware of your surroundings, and to know what the right thing to do with your heart, or by intuition, that's about it i'm guessing.

Oh and one more other thing. The cosmic rays would affect our minds greatly, as to what we are noticing around the world now. People now are actually going chaotic if you think about it. "That's actually mother nature's act of cleansing us!" that we are being affected from what's outside of this planet. That's exactly what brings to, the Magnetic field weaking and the polarity shifting.

Let's say if the Earth's Magnetic field was gone. It would affect, our mind, our memory, our health, between our souls and our bodies, we would literally separate from our soul and body. For those who haven't experienced an OBE, you would later on. I had an OBE once, I thought it was very strange but cool.

Anyways enough said I'll talk more later on.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  11. Topher

Topher allo!

Why would religious folk even try to use science prove their beliefs? Many of them don't accept science as evident in their refusal to accept evolution. One minuet their rejecting the scientific method, then in the same breath they try to use it to validate their beliefs.

12. Topher

Topher allo!

What disasters are these and how specific are they?

13. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

The real question is "which is worse"? Ignoring science or twisting it to fit your belief?

14. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Where did you see this? The sun is so large and we still barely understand it. To predict something like that, so far ahead in time, is highly unlikely at this point.

15. Ero-Sennin

Did ya not see my opening statement! Search it, ask somebody who may know, lol. It's just something that was on TV, and it's a prediction!

Shrukin - you sound a little like one of those people that err . . . . well, how can I not violate TOS with this. You sound like one of the types of people that I would look at strangely.

Homer - In the bible I believe it talks about natural disasters in general, anything from really big storms to earthquakes. With global warming, we have already seen a trend in stronger hurricanes from what I've read, and who knows what the affect of the shift in all the other things will do.

Poop loops - a lot of people twist science to make religion "obsolete" as well. The table turns both ways.

16. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

I hope you mean "belief" in general, because science is not just the atheists' play ground, you know.

Also.....

I did say billions of years, I wasn't clear if it was thousands or billion.

As for....

You over simplify the meaning.......what volcanic eruption do you know NOW that is expected to devastate the earth or meteorites that fall in a series that could impact the earth greatly? it's not "everyday" a devastating one happens.

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

The difference is, religion IS obsolete.

18. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I meant twisting it to your belief. How much clearer do I need to be. If you believe in the tooth fairy and twist science to make it seem like the tooth fairy is real, then you are twisting it to your belief.

You missed my point. You said they are predicting it some years in the future. I said it will definately happen in the future, but it's also likely to happen much sooner than that.

It's not. They didn't understand volcanoes either, so they though it would devastate the world.

Say I don't understand lightning. All I know is that it damages things. I predict that some day there will be a huge lightning bolt to kill all existance. That's how it works. They were wrong. Deal with it.

19. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Good, I was making sure you weren't talking about just religion :rolleyes:

No you missed my point, no matter how different science and religion are. Somehow, science reachs the same "conclusion" rather it is a catastrophe that will end life on earth or what.

aside from the next quote.....

Since we're speaking hypothetical, I ask you (besides seeing that it causes damage) what would have caused you to conjure up such an idea that lighting would kill all existence? Because tall tales don't randomly happen.

Though, "millions" of years ago someone wrote the sky "will rain down fire", and astromoners see a comet or meteorites heading our way or that the sun will explode. I'm not saying that meteorites or comets would be the "end", it could be the sun exploding, it is hot, you know.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  20. Ero-Sennin

:rolleyes: Says you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.