Elite Sanda Fighter - Wang Weihao

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Stuart Gilham, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Stuart Gilham

Stuart Gilham Member

Video here profiling Wang Weihao a member of the Chinese national Sanda team (currently inactive);

He holds wins over Saenchai, the man considered by many to be the best Muay Thai fighter of the last 20 years. He also stepped up in weight to stop former WBC Muay Thai champion Chike Lindsay in a dominant performance.

What do you think is the most exciting or aesthetically pleasing fighting style to watch?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Two styles I really love and wish was more readily available are Sanda and Sambo. Communists know how to do combat sports.

axelb likes this.
  3. Stuart Gilham

Stuart Gilham Member

Lol, I didn’t think about it like that, maybe those regimes have no problem working their fighters ass off in training.

4. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Don't know much about Sanda beyond the basic kickboxing rules but I have noticed the sport always seems dominated by lighter weight classes. The raw boxing speed of these strikers is pretty impressive, but I find myself looking for some video of heavier weight class fighters and struggling. It doesn't seem like other kickboxing styles have this problem of being a bit loaded down on the lighter side of the weight spectrum. Is it just me and my preference toward middleweight and up or is there a real disparity there?

5. Pretty In Pink

Well it stands to reason that it's a predominantly Chinese sport. There are not a lot of heavyweight Chinese competitors.

6. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I've always loved watching Sanda, the variety of takedowns, and how that changes a clinch game, makes it a more exciting sport for me. Having said that the knees and elbows of Thai are awe inspiring, and you don't get that in amateur Sanda.

In the UK it's not (or certainly wasn't when I was competing) a big sport. You'd have one national tournament a year, and it was rare for an adult weight class to have more than 3 fighters. (My second fight was against a guy who should have been in the advanced category, but there wasn't anyone else -65kg with more than 6 fights, so he fought me and the other guy and knocked us both about, helluva fighter!) Not watched enough recently to say what it's like internationally.

Grond and Pretty In Pink like this.
  7. Pretty In Pink

I want to compete in it sometime too. I'll come along to a comp next year.

8. hewho

hewho Valued Member

You'll need a BCCMA licence mate (I don't currently have one myself, not seemed worth it with how this year is going!) but it would be good to see you down. You might like Shuai Jiao too, all throws, no groundwork!

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Old school American kickboxing. Just personal preference. I like the kicking game and also the overall flow. And while I respect grappling, I really don't enjoy watching it, so I have trouble getting into MMA or Sanda.

Grond likes this.
  10. Pretty In Pink

There are a few. But sambo (pure groping sambo) is really cool to watch. Oddly enough I find judo a bit more boring. Sanshou would be up there if there was more of it. I love the mixture of grappling in it

hewho, axelb and Grond like this.
  11. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I find Olympic level judo to be 5 minutes of reasonable boredom interspersed with flashes of real excitement!

@Grond have you seen this? Some fairly exciting Sanda, up to 85kg

Grond and Pretty In Pink like this.
  12. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I had not, so thank you. Still, these are a little lighter than what I'd like to see. This would correspond to the light heavyweights of boxing, and as much as appreciate all of it, I also want to see some of the bigger crews represented. It's rare, whatever it is, whether we are talking boxing, MMA, Judo, or anything else. Maybe I just have to wait. :D

13. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Try some of the other sessions out, this one goes to 90kg I assume some of the others may go higher.

Grond likes this.
  14. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Thanks. These are some sweet fights. Really makes me regret not learning some Kung Fu in my youth. Seems like the perfect thing for when you're locked down at home. Only so much bagwork and shadowboxing I can take nowadays before I get bored.

Mitlov likes this.