Elegance

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by LilBunnyRabbit, Jun 29, 2002.

1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Now I know that the martial art I do is just plain ugly, almost no elegance whatsoever, purely practicality. However I was just curious as to what people would say are the most artistic of the arts?

My own top choice would have to be Capoiera, possibly followed by some form of Kung Fu.

Not to say they aren't practical, they just look good.

2. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

I like the appearance of Tai Chi.
    Slow, graceful, controlled.
    And all the moves have cool names too

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I like Wushu, thats quite a nice art to watch. Some of our own katas are pretty graceful, like Yantsu and Kanku Dai. They've got a lot of slow circular movements in them

4. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

FAO Darzeka

D,

Tai chi is very elegant when performed properly, however if you saw me do it no doubt your first comment would be

" is that big guy having a fit???" or

"wow!!!...he really overdid it on the red bull"

but i would have to agree.....Tai chi and kung fu definately the most elegant....though those Aikido dudes look pretty when chucking people all over the place.

regards,

5. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

I would say Wushu. Those guys kick butt when it comes to "show" as well as sparring. There is Tai chi in my school. I just tested for my green today, and two Tai chi people tested also. But, I would have to say that us Tae Kwon Do people were more graceful than the Tai Chi girls, even with me screwing up on my combos! There are people there that do Tai Chi who look awsome doing the forms there, but not those two! LOL

6. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

Yeah I'd love to learn Tai Chi sometime in the future.

Oh and you can't over do Red Bull (they are overpriced and are among the least affective) the more the better say.

You just get real hungry, can't sit still and get a real dry mouth (accompanied by that saliva like glue).

7. Spike

Spike New Member

I agree, Aikido does look impressive when people are getting slung all over the place.

I wouldn`t agree that capoiera looks good, I think it looks silly, not saying it isn`t a valid form of the martial arts, I`ve done alot of things I thought looked damned foolish.

I`d have to say Kung Fu was the best looking style I`d seen, you can`t beat scary, bald , short men wearing bedsheets.

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

.................SHOWER OF LOVE!

(Don't ask, its an HWU Aikido Thing!)

Capoiera these days is just taught as a dance and very few Instructors actually know the applications. I'd have to say that Tai Chi Chuan forms are probably the most elagant thing I've seen practiced.

Thanx

9. NielStewart

NielStewart New Member

FF's right,

I tried to start up at a Capoiera class a couple of years ago, rang the class organiser and asked if they taught the martial aplications, they said "what martial aplications, Capoiera is a dance class". I think there is a martial arts capoiera class in leeds now.

Tai Chi looks very elegant, I saw a demo once on the martial side of it, worked really well, also saw it used in relation to self defence situations - which impressed me as well.

But once again - a number of Tai Chi classes I have been to, looking to take it up - have no idea of the Martial aspect - teaching it only as a healthy series of movements...

10. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Tai Chi here as well...if the practitioner knows what they are doing of course.

11. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

If you're asking what I would consider to be the most beautiful arts - I'd say Kali, or Ninjutsu, or JKD - dynamic as it is. I personally find direct, aggressive practicality beautiful :)

If you're asking what I think is the most 'artsy fartsy' art I've seen then the cake goes to Tai Chi. I'd almost tend to just call it art and take out the martial part completely, as the 'martial' part of it seems few and far between depending on the person! :)

12. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

:mad: I really wouldn't go as far as saying that. Atleast not with my instructor that is definitley not true at all. :yeleyes:

13. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I have to say Wu Shu (demo style) gets my vote for most aesthetic value! Am also finding out it's practical side is pretty bloody lethal too!:cool:

14. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I also think PaKua looks good and Iaido is really cool...I don't know why but I just love the sound of a blade going Shweeng! and I think tai chi when practiced with a chien looks very beautiful.

About dropping the martial part of Tai Chi, that is ********. Sweeet have you ever trained in Tai Chi under a skilled instructor? It seems you only like the arts you train in? Do you like them because YOU train in them or do you train in them because you like them?Huh?! Sure Jeet Kune Do is exceptionally effective and practical, I would go as far as saying the most practical but it is simply a conglomoration of many styles is it not? I thought we were talking about beauty? And about calling taiji simply an art...I try not to critisize arts that I have not much experience in...unless it is ninjutsu, but there is nothing wrong with that. :yeleyes:

This reminds me of a famous quote that I just made up;

"He who makes fun of Tai Chi is very stupid because he didn't because ihis arts said SPECTACULAR!"

15. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I just read over what I said and realized that it made no sense whatsoever...I am not quite sure what I was trying to say.

16. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Take a Chill Pill JMC,

Overreacting is my job round here, and I don't need any assistance thanks :D

17. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Sorry I forgot, I got some of that stuff at the dentits that drug cause of my tooth getting pulled and I just don't know what got into me! :eek:

18. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Apology to sweeet.. I am very sorry for calling you stupid and a ninjutsu person, :love:

Last edited: May 31, 2003
  19. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

As I said, it depends on the person.

I know people who have done tai-chi for years who couldn't hurt a fly. I'm sure some could hurt much more than a fly. Nomatter how you cut it, I wouldn't consider it a 'combat' art - but that's not to say it doesn't have value.

I think my point was clear - as for being called stupid and a 'ninjutsu person', well ... :)

20. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Haha, okay I understand what you were saying, and I agree I have seen people who have done tai chi for like 4 years and can't fight at all. I have also seen people who have done it over 15 years and they can fight. I don't think taiji is the best for self defense I suppose because it can take decades to get an understanding of the self defense aspect of it. As far as elegance goes, it is at the top of my list.