elastic band training

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by funkymonk, Nov 12, 2004.

1. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

I went to a class taken by a 5th degree tonight and he introduced us to elastic band training which i hadn't come across before and i loved it!!! :D
    We were split into groups of 3 with one holding a focus pad/kicking paddle, another doing the kicking with a large elastic band tied around their waist and the other pulling the elastic band. The kicker has to move forward kick the pad with control and return to their original postion while the other person is putting resistance on the band making it very difficult to reach the pad never mind kick it properly :eek: . We did turning kicks off the front leg (10 each leg) , hopping side kicks (7 each leg) and reverse turning kicks (5 each leg). I really enjoyed it and seemed to be quicker after doing it too! :D

Has anybody else used elastic bands for training and do you think they're a good training aid ?

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I can't say that I have, I like what I am hearing about this drill though!

3. sean

sean THOR!

I think its a good idea for being able to make the distance for the attack, but not for speed.

It would just create an illusion of being faster when actually your the same as before. Could get you into more trouble that its worth! :eek:

4. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

just wondering, who was the 5 dan black belt that took the class and where was the class held?

5. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

I remember him saying that it was a good way of learning to keep your balance and to be able to ride kicks as well and keep on attacking. Btw this instructor recently got a silver in the European tkd championships in Germany so if it works for him then i'm willing to learn. He also told us about a kick which a lot of wtf stylists were doing which would help in sparring.It involved flicking the foot out to the side while keeping the knee low. The kick was for kicking somebody in the stomach while in a closed stance and it's a pretty fast kick too! Do many of the wtf stylists use this kick at all? (i hope i described it right !! :eek: )

Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  6. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

Hiya Gaz it's Adam!! :D
    I went to Aidy Jones class last night in Ruabon and it was brilliant mate. Only £3.00 a lesson too :D

7. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

just wondering adam but how many elastic bands was it u broke?

LOL :D

8. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

I broke 2 Gaz!! :eek: It was my first lesson with Mr Jones and all i was thinking was he's not gonna be happy with me cos i don't know if the £3.00 i payed for training would cover the cost of the broken bands. He was fine about it though :)

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

We do something similar KC. We use bungee cords with velcro straps on the ends. One person holds the end, the other can be strapped around the ankle for kicks or wrists for punches. It gives you quite a workout. The kids think its hysterically funny while exercising and the adults just enjoy it.