eddie bravos rubber guard

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by sudo02, Jun 10, 2007.

1. sudo02

sudo02 Valued Member

Has anybody else had chance to read mastering the rubber guard by eddie bravo, it is such a good book every jujitsu player should read it.
    i have only had it for 3 weeks and i have raised my game by 20-30% (my own opinon & others i roll with) i have used my half guard so much more i think that section has changed the way i roll now, i am more confident in certain postions etc.
    I have noticed that a few mma fighters within the ufc are using some parts of his game but the majority are just playing the same old guard game that hasnt changed in the last 10 years. I think we will see more & more of the rubber guard in the ufc etc, but they is one problem with it that it works very well when wearing gi pants or tube grips around the knees & ankles due to the extra friction & grip, however when sweaty legs & heads are present you can slip out of postions such as mission control.

so here is my question, do you think this is the future of non gi mma comps or will it simply not work in mma due to clothing restrictions?

p.s he did beat royler gracie with this system but i want to see it in mma etc.

his second book is out at the end of july its called mastering the twister

2. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Chris Leben pulled rubber guard in the last UFC but didn't do anything with it. I have Bravo's Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed book, and I like it. Unfortunately I'm drunk again right now, so it's a miracle I'm even typing. I'll get back to you with my thoughts....

3. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

Shinya Aoki is an avid rubber guard user and has (as anyone can witness) had tremendous success with it. Wether it is because people aren't used to it, or if the rubber guard really presents good opportunities remains to be seen. I believe the latter.

4. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I've had a bit of a play with it and I really like it. I think it's added quite a bit to my guard game which was previously along the lines of "close it, try and grab an arm, ohhh armbar." Even not really using the rubber guard but knowing I can go to it seems to have encouraged me to make my guard more offensive - now the omoplata's one of my go-to moves and I've managed to tap somone out with a gogoplata too
    The downside to it for a lot of people - not myself, fortunately - is that you need to be pretty damned flexible to be able to do anything with it (I think that was Leben's downfall when he pulled it). I've also found it a lot harder to work with when striking's involved, but that could just be due to me falling back into old habits when I'm getting hit, I'm not sure
    It's been used a few times in MMA (the aforementioned Aoki and Nick Diaz subbed Gomi with a gogoplata), but as it stands right now, that could well be due to the fact that A) it's not something that a lot of people have seen so they're not sure what's coming or B) the people they're subbing with rubber guard techniques either suck on the ground or are exhausted as was the case with Gomi. I'm sure we'll see more of it, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it the future of the guard game

5. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Nobody seems to mention Penn Vs Hughes when rubber guard comes up.

It's a great book though, i'm going to start using it once i've grasped the basics.

6. sudo02

sudo02 Valued Member

its a book where you have a read an hour or so before class and say iam going to try that, then after class you go back and read what went wrong (as in my partner did this and it didnt work) and they is an answer to the problems you encountered such as you could not get the hand to the mat or whatever, which is different to the other books i have read because they say try move A then forget to mention what to do if your partner does counter A B or C

7. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Joachim Hansen (Aoki's gogoplata victim) far from sucks on the ground, he's actually really good. Brown belt I think?

Once you grasp the basics you'll realize how Penn wasn't using the rubber guard correctly, namely by not hugging his knee to trap Hughes's arm and instead letting Hughes easily pull it out. :)

8. Atharel

Atharel Errant

This has been my experience precisely.

Similar to Peligro's Essential Guard.

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Something like that, yeah, hence why I quantified that some fighters just aren't expecting it etc

10. sudo02

sudo02 Valued Member

has anybody had success with the rubber guard with mma shorts on, not pro fighters i mean in your own training etc. i use gi pants when i roll.

11. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Oh yah :) I'm sure the "wtf is that?" factor helps a lot.

sudo2: I have little problems using the rubber guard without gi pants on but it does require more curling/squeezing to generate extra friction.

12. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I quite like rubber guard. Of course, I'm flexible and have long legs. I usually end up starting for an omoplata, but ending up in a triangle choke.
    I want to work the gogoplata into my game, but I still have trouble a) finishing it and b) not getting my guard passed when I go for it.

13. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Fabulous book. I love it. The quality of the pictures, angles, explanations, and layout alone are great. The intro is a bit controversial, but hey as long as the techniques are solid, bravo and rogan can have a smokestorm for all i care.

Like with anything new, eventually when everyone learns it, that perceived percentage will decrease. Everyone and their mother who trains under my instructor has that book and drilled the crap out of the techniques, so it's not as sure-fire as it used to be. It's not a guarantee, just gives you more options.

Again, youtube Shinya Aoki.

The pants/tube grips are a problem, but if you get all the intricacies of the techniques down, you can increase your control. But again, it's no guarantee, and Bravo himself says it wasn't meant to be a 100% works all the time solution to everything.

The point of the system is to work with the lack of clothing, so I'd say theres plenty of merit to 10th planet JJ working in MMA.

I think it's going to cover his mount, backmount, and sidemount game. Can't wait. Hope the intro is as amusing on this volume as his first.

14. sudo02

sudo02 Valued Member

just youtubed Shinya Aoki he has very good submissions, i do like the pride fights they seem to be more action packed than the ufc you see more submissions etc. is the standard better in pride or what

p.s the fans a better, no booing etc

15. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Pride's a little more technical IMO, but at the same time they have their problems (ie alledged judge bias).

For the fans, it's a different culture over there. They respect anyone who enters the ring, regardless of whether they won or lost.

16. Atharel

Atharel Errant

The action level in Pride is a direct result of the judging criteria: effort to finish the fight as opposed to UFC's "control" which encourages lay-n-pray wrestling.

17. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Why is everyone still referring to PRIDE in the present tense? Did Fedor punch Dana White so hard that it brought PRIDE back to life?