Ed Parker

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Stick, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Thank you KenpoDavid, it is always a concern of mine that Shorinji Kempo gets related to American Kempo. It is quite different and there is no connection or linage with any other style. Doshin So based his art on his experiences when studying martial arts at the Shoalin Temple. When he returned to Japan he re-visited some other arts he had learned earlier. He then developed Shorinji Kempo, restructuring all of his experience so that the end result was a well-integrated form of self-defence. I have seen Doshin So listed in the geneology of Aiki Jutsu, and it is true that he studied this older form of Jujutsu and many of our techniques look similar; however it is also true that Aiki Jutsu originally came from China.

The name, Shorinji Kempo, has needed protection to stop some people claiming linage or trading on its success. Shorinji Kempo is the most popular martial art in Japan now, and WSKO is the biggest single martial art organisation in the world. With the growing awareness of Shorinji Kempo in the west there has been quite a lot of people claiming to have trained in it, or hold black belt status. What they don't understand is that WSKO keeps records of all members, and will act to protect the name and reputation of Shorinji Kempo.

2. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Heh, I have no idea if my grandmaster was good in his prime. I know he was quite fond of gun defense :( . Hey it's good stuff to know if you are forced to use it. I am wondering what al tracy's relationship was with ed parker. I don't know much about ed parker's philosophy (i'm gonna look for some books I think I'll agree with alot of it like bruces :) ) . I know that al had us wear black gis to stand out more from the arts at that time. I wish I could find the pic I have of us :( would look good hanging up in my schools office (when I get one :) )

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  3. Stick

Stick New Member

Isn't Shorinji also a religious body?

4. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

The short answer is Yes. Shorinji Kempo is a registered religion in Japan. Some time ago they separated the religious body from the martial arts body so they could manage their respective areas more efficiently. The religious side looks after the Kongo Zen Buddhist religion side of things; while WSKO looks after the martial arts side of things.

What all this means is that it is still possible to become an ordained Buddhist Monk, or study the philosophy in more depth; but it is not necessary to be Buddhist to study Shorinji Kempo. You will study Kongo Zen philosophy, but as this requires no belief in deities there is no conflict with other religions. Religion in the east has a slightly different meaning to people than religion in the west. We in the west, see religion as the belief in a god or gods; whereas in the east they look at it more as a lifestyle philosophy, and will often use different religions for different purposes.

5. Seeker

Seeker New Member

Parker created his art by taking what he deemed to be the best techniques from Chow's kenpo, as well as from judo, boxing. kung fu and various other arts that he studied. analyzed. compared and reviewed. His system also overcame the shortcomings of his old "hold and throw training-which was fine for one-on-one encounters but not for multiple attackers. Parker was Successful in reaching his goal: Not only was his fighting system effective against multiple attackers. but it also worked for everyone, including smaller men. women and the elderly. After much refinement. revision and restructuring. American kenpo karate was born. [Taken from March 1999 Black Belt mag]

At first glance, kenpo's circular techniques seem much like those found in kung fu. Look closely, however, and you'll notice a difference. The circular movements are merged with hard, linear-style techniques to combine the main elements of Chinese kung fu and Japanese karate. [Taken from April 1986 Black Belt Magazine]

6. ninja06

ninja06 New Member

All I know is, Mitose trained Chow Chow trained Emporado and Emporado, with the help of some friends, developed to ultimate martial art: KAJUKENBO!!!!!
    lol j/k.

Ed Parker definately has great credentials. He was trained by and trained great martial artists. We all as American martial artists should pay great respect to Ed Parker for what he did for ALL martial arts in this country. Without him (and maybe Bruce Lee), I am not sure it would be as popular and therefore accessable as it is today.

7. ninja06

ninja06 New Member

And BTW my best friend is a 2nd Degree Black Belt and Instructor of Tracys Kenpo. It is (Tracys) far more Chinese it its origin and aplication that japanese. Just to add a little factoid in there for the "is it chenese or japanese?" debate.

8. Bill Lear

Bill Lear New Member

Why call it Karate?

During the period of 1609-1903, Okinawa's new style of martail art was called "Te" which means "hand". "Karate" meaning "hands of China" replaced the word "Te" during the latter part of the 19th century until the Chinese character "hands of China" was changed by the Japanese to their character which meant "empty hand". This change angered many of the Okinawans who were proud of the term designating their form of fihting and also they did not wish to dispense ith their association and loyalty to China. Pressured by the Japanese, the Okinawan Karate Masters reluctantly accepted the new ideograph. This change was spearheaded by Nagashi Hanage, a desciple of Chogun Miyagi, master of Goju-Ryu Karate. The change assertedly brought about a deeper meaning where the spiritual overcame the physical.

:rolleyes:

9. The_Emperor

The_Emperor New Member

Man, are you a history major?

:eek:

10. Bill Lear

Bill Lear New Member

Nope. I'm not a history major. Hell, I'm not even major history.

:eek:

11. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

Ed Parker Book!

I Got A Book From My Local Library By Mr. Ed Parker It Was Called "secrets Of Chinese Karate" And Was Published Late 60's Early 70's I Believe.

12. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

the Tracy Brothers were students of Ed Parkers and broke off to make their own schools.

13. Stick

Stick New Member

I've had time to visit a kenpo school since my first post, it has no judo and only the most basic boxing. :woo:

14. matsloth

matsloth New Member

kenpo

hi stick
    the only true parker kenpo schools died out with him sadly , most kenpo schools have become systemised and traditionalised, i have had the joy of training under a few that have retained parkers vitality for diversaty,i also strive to keep parkers vision and use only the best arts , but then i became pushed out by most of the kenpo comunity , so i went alone and made my own system , and alot of true and i use the word true kenpoists that have visited my schools say it is the way parker would have wanted it, so i don't care what the others say . many schools don't use pad training many shorten techniques and have put to much enfacice on form ,don't spar and if they do it's a lame dog excuse for sparring, and have made it to karate ,karate this ,karate that.shame as kenpo is looseing out .
    cheers
    matt

15. Clyde

Clyde New Member

Have you ever bothered to come to Pasadena and train? I would guess not.

Have you really created your OWN system, or is it Kenpo by another name? Just because someone you deem a TRUE Kenpoist comes in and says that's what Parker wanted, you believe that? Oh well, you guys are a dime a dozen, wannabe Kenpoists.

Clyde

16. matsloth

matsloth New Member

hi

hi
    you must take into consideration were people originate from i'm based in the uk and kenpo mainly sucks here,and thats a fact mate .check out my site it's sadly not finished but is functional www.kenposw.co.uk .
    if i had master tatum down the road i would'nt be moaning.
    cheers
    matt

17. matsloth

matsloth New Member

hi

p.s
    thanks for the complinent clyde.
    cheers
    matt :cry:

18. Clyde

Clyde New Member

Well, I do have Larry just down the street and I take advantage of that fact.

Dude, you're 5th or 6th generation from Parker, why not try training with someone who's a 1st or 2nd generation, or even make a trip here to the U.S. to the mecca of Kenpo, it may help you come to grips with your dilemna.

Clyde

19. matsloth

matsloth New Member

kenpo

hi clyde
    your right i'm 5th gen but as i said in the uk there aint much to choose from ,
    most are stagnated , or inacurate . larry tatum is visiting exeter next month and i shall be there .
    there is a lot of technique shortening here and in acurate interperatation of major key moves principles and concepts , makeing it hard to see parkers true vision , our only master "master rose" only bought half the system here ( also mcsweeny)then they interpereted it, added some of themselves, and hey presto pig kenpo , i have had to search high and low to find the true depths of kenpo , lets put it this way no one here had even looked at" sub level 4 "
    let alone studyed it , the reason i started my own system is because of these facts . i train most days 2/3 hours , pushing boundaries . studying motion.
    in the hope that i will be a great kenpoist .
    cheers
    matt

20. Clyde

Clyde New Member

Kevin Mills is one of the best Kenpo guys I know in England and his students perform remarkably well being so far from the source, but he comes to the U.S. regularly to train. Look him up, OR, come to Pasadena and get some real Kenpo for yourself. Making up your own system right now is kinda futile and childish to me. Training 2/3 hours a day is not going to make you a better Kenpoist, it's just going to get you in good shape.

Clyde