Dust off your Monkey.

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by DAnjo, Jun 22, 2006.

1. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

I AGREE!! hopefully there will be some good stuff that are being "shown off". i hope it's nothing like UFC.

2. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

I'm wondering how many musical kata numbers we'll have to watch?

3. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

It would be more interesting if it was like that show, "Dancing With the Stars." Where each one saw if they could kick the crap out of Steven Seagal.

BTW, looks like Jackie Chan will also be involved.

4. FightingMonk2k3

i just hope it's all good for the most part.

5. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

I don't see how it could be.

6. Shen Yin

Shen Yin Sanda/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Jeezus Christ, it actually says "no sparring..." in the requirements section.

7. FightingMonk2k3

it makese sense i think because, i know i'd get bored with seeing tape after tape or dvd after dvd of people sparring. i dont think any one "judge" can make a judgment off of sparring. the katas/forms should make the difference, not where sparring does.

8. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I'll get way more bored of watching a bunch of dudes do their karate dances...I'd rather see sparring...REAL sparring, not little point sparring games of tag...THAT is what martial arts is, or what it should be, is who can fight...but then, they are not looking for a fighter, I presume they are looking for who can look good being the next action hero in hollywood.

9. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Well time to wait and see if its even gonna air, then make your critiques after the first show or 2. Like any other reality based shows.....it'll be all about the ratings ;)

10. FightingMonk2k3

yea, probably. i guess we'll have to see and find out.

11. FightingMonk2k3

any word on when the actual show starts?

12. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I hate reality TV shows. This one sounds like another one Ill have to avoid. By the sound of it they are only trying to find someone new that they can then promote and exploit financially. It doesn’t look like fighting skill is a requirement, just entertainment value. Can they put together an entertaining series of movements or carry out a choreographed fight that bears no resemblance to reality but is fun to watch for the general public.

As Danjo has said, the Shaolin Temple today is a money making machine for the Chinese Government. The styles they practice today are not what used to be taught, and should not be confused with the original teachings. Various Chinese administrations carried out series of actions against the Shaolin Temple specifically and Kempo practice in general. By the early 1900’s most instructors had been killed or gone into hiding. It was ironic that in the 70’s they asked Doshin So to help them re-establish Kempo to the Shaolin Temple. This he was going to do, but unfortunately died before he could. It might have been a good thing though as I doubt he would like his name to be associated with this venture.

13. ShaolinKempoKa

ShaolinKempoKa New Member

The way the monks see it nowadays is that they want to get shaolin out to the world to improve their lives. And yes I believe it will, that's MY opinion. They are also gunning for kung fu in the olympics and starting mini shaolin temples all over the world as bases of operation. I think it's a good thing, but I have maybe a few doubts, but you'll have to see it for yourself. Don't be all wacked out and crazy like you guys have been. RELAX! It's a TV show, a fun TV show to promote the martial arts and the temples high morals which DO STILL EXIST to a larger audience then doing forms in an auditorium or something that only reaches a few hundred people at most. This has been MY opinion. :) Thank you.

14. ShaolinKempoKa

ShaolinKempoKa New Member

I do have to say however that the chinese government has WAY too tight a hold on the temple and that it should be set free. It's not the monks or abbot shi yong-xin. Primarily it's China. And that's what communism is. It's really too bad. They have the monks d stuff they don't wan't to do sometimes. And it's not even a branch of government or anything like that, it's a religeous orginization, mainly. And in america, those are 100% free from the governments hold.

15. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

your posts make me feel so old.

16. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

:rolleyes: