Dumb Americans Ruined Ninjutsu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Hayseed, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Dumb Americans Ruined Ninjutsu(1998 article)

I'm starting this thread for the purpose of discussing a mass mail message that was posted in the Shurikenjutsu thread.

Here's the link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/13657902/null

So, you heard him....we ruined it.

Now I'm not saying that he didn't make a few valid points, but they're the kind of things that any dedicated student, even we lowly westerners, look at with disdain. I'm also not saying that it's unfounded, but I do think that it's incredibly unfair and arrogant to say that an entire region of people fall under the scope of that argument. I also think that it's a terribly rude thing to send it to Hatsumi Soke. Doesn't that fall into the category of playing politics, something that the author cites in section one as leading to the corruption within the Bujinkan?

Thoughts?

*ducks*

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Did he talk about Americans or westerners?

In any case, the points he makes are valid, in my honest opinion.

I do agree with you however, that it's pretty stupid and rude to send that letter to Sôke. Actually I don't think it should be sent to anyone, as it probably wouldn't do any good.

But still, the points he makes are valid (at least the ones I remember).

3. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Well the ideology has been ruined but not through westerners but through the Golden Harvest film industry by using Kung Fu and claiming it as ninja.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNzFHSVqur8"]YouTube - ninja dragon - final fight scene[/ame]

And then we end up with a fat Wendy munching burger eating American claiming to be a ninja too. Or Ahmad getting all butterflies in his stomach about rubber tabi and djdreammaker claiming to be a ex military ninja who has killed with his bare hands.

Yup. It is ruined.

4. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

i do think you need to change the title as it does say westerners and not just yanks..

i've quoted this from the other thread as i had started before you did this, this wil be quite a good conversation as that article exposes tons of holes in the western culture, while this article is not about everyone its about a fair few....

5. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

popcorn anyone?

6. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Do you honestly think that he meant the Canadians, or Mexicans?

7. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Double post from other thread

Actually, I think it matters very much who wrote it. The entire article, whether or not certain parts are easier to agree with than others, essentially derives it's justification from the implication that the author knows Soke's budo better the intended audience.

Since I don't, myself, have an understanding of Soke's budo enough to make that determination I have to rely on teachers that I trust and follow them.

This article is an example of specifically what it attempts to rally people against, it places the writer on some sort of higher-level where he can look down and direct the poor masses.

(Emphasis mine)

I have to say, I find this passage a touch hypocritical.

Who knows, maybe right now I'm questioning the actions of one of my teachers - after all we don't know who wrote it. But I doubt it, they tend to stand behind their words.

8. garth

garth Valued Member

I would have thought the person who wrote it would have least have the courage to put his name to it.

Garth

9. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

What sucks is that I agree with about 70% of the article, but all the "westerners blow" talk is exactly the kind of thing that's going to make people not even consider as to whether they agree or not, only that whoever this guy is....he's an *******.

10. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Maybe Mr Wobbly butt of the deep south did it. But a few have left to set up their franchise of home study, DVD sales ETC so with a assumption of inept judgement I could point my finger at anyone and say they wrote it.

But it seems that whoever has done will have written it for nothing. How can you reply back to it with no name attributed to it as author? Looks like someone wasted postage to Japan for nothing.

11. garth

garth Valued Member

Lets also not forget this was written 11 years ago

12. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Really? I just assumed it was current. I never heard about this, anything come of it?

13. garth

garth Valued Member

Hayseed posted

The clues at the top of the article where it says 1998.

Garth

14. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Sorry, long night.

(How the hell did I not see that?)

15. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

Oh dear, the author of that message is way off.

I just couldn't help but laugh at the bs written in that article.

1. Politics is human nature, get over it.

2,3,4,5 blah blah too much sh!t to sift through.

14. All i can say is... wow. Way off the mark here.

Fees have a purpose, grading fees have a purpose, membership fees have a purpose. You can tell the author doesn't understand economics and basic business concepts.

16. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

That's just it though, as far as I can tell, the author is encouraging people to stop treating it as if it were a business or proffession, that it should be beyond money. That one should take on training partners instead of students. I don't know, but I do know that every time I see someone treating it as a meal ticket, I cringe.

17. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

I agree in part. But for those that make it a living teaching does require gall to bring about a business just teaching Bujinkan. We are not Kung Fu, Karate or the boucy kicky wicky stuff of TKD. It takes a lot of effort just to get the idiots out of the dojo so you can teach people that do wish to learn.

Even now dojos will get the idiot that will have watched too much Naruto and come in expecting to manipulate elements and do a 1,000 ouch per second while flipping out to a mean metal track. If I put up a flyer saying "come and learn ninjutsu form a ninja master " will you get real people wishing to learn of Naruto fans and them people that think they are special forces trained by watching Chuck Norris films and Rambo?

Market target aside of the lowest common denominator, to really make a living from this does requite business ethics and practice. And it is a hard job to do.

18. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Your absolutely right, and to be clear, I don't mean the instructor with a student base that allows him/her to make some profit, but there's a line there and I can't exactly tell you where.

19. garth

garth Valued Member

You can hardly blame a guy for making earnings out of Ninjutsu when the grandmaster is a multi millionaire made through teaching the same art.

Garth

20. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Absolutely, but to be fair, he kind of "owns the rights to it".