Dueling...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Shai'tan, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Shai'tan

Shai'tan New Member

Hi peeps,

A friend of mine does karate and practice Iaido and a little kendo. And we had a discussion about two people one whit a katana and one whit bare fists and only using karate. I thought that the one whit the sword would win and my friend thought that the one using karate would win. Well we both kept to our points. So now we want to test it, it's not my idea but he wants it and I already warned him :rolleyes: . So he will only use karate and I will only use my bokken (practice sword).
    I never have fought a fight like this and he never have fought people whit swords so this might get interesting although I think he will win.

But if two well trained martial artists are dueling, one whit a bokken and one whit bare fists, only using karate, who do you think that will win and why?
    By the way, no dirty fighting ,no tricks and no eye poking.

Koen

P.S. sorry, you guys must have seen a simmilar topic a hundred times before :D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  2. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

well if you can keep at range common sense tells me that the sword would win

3. Krazy5051

Krazy5051 Valued Member

If your good, you will defeat the opponent with the sword.

If your opponent is good, he will defeat you instantly.

or

It may be a no result if you are both good.

Interesting...

Yours in martial arts,

Kid

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Sword. There's no doubt about it. All you have to do is rush him. He an beat the crap out of you, but if you touch hit him in the chest once, you win anyway.

PL

5. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

If he's never fought anyone with a sword, then he hasn't got much of a chance - unless he has experience going up against other weaponry whilst unarmed. Of course, thats pretty obvious. But thought I'd mention it anyway... :)

If both artists were well trained, then I'd still go for the guy with a sword. At an equal skill level, that would provide an advantage.

6. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

If you are both very good, I'd still give it to the sword. You can literally just run around aimlessly, and just defend any oncoming attacks against you when he tries to attack. This is assuming he is not allowed to grab the sword.

7. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Forgive me, but I think that it would be a pointless excercise. Arnis Stick vs bokken, maybe, empty hand art vs empty hand maybe. But empty hand vs weapon? For an armed fighter to lose to an unarmed one, the difference in skill has to be great (unless of course one gets really lucky).

8. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Luck is 60% of fighting. :cool:

9. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

even if you suck, you could still beat him with a sword. he would have to be exceptionally good. weapons are the great equaliser in martial arts, and a sword is one big equaliser.

10. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Karate dude fillets anyone? Lightly grilled with a nice red wine?

11. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Weapons define martial arts. Everything else is pajama dancing.

What army in history, in time was not armed with some sort of weapon (yes, Boxer Rebellion but that had spears and swords)?

12. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Martial arts is the art of fighting, but generally, it refers to unarmed combat, or at least some. However, I do agree with you on the fact that pretty much every war was used in conjunction with weapons. But, martial arts are for self-defense; you are referring to warfare.

13. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Just swing at his legs.

14. Mark_Campbell

Mark_Campbell Valued Member

:D over here

15. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

If it was a live blade and a real fight, he would end up getting cut, even if he managed for it to only be a small one. Or, he could time it right and move in and grab the sword, otherwise, my bet is on the sword. By the way, let us know how it turns out when you do have the match :D

16. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

If it was a katana, even if the blade is overrated, his hand would be cut severely if he tried to grab it. Most swords sharpen the edge just to prevent grabbing, so I doubt anyone would risk grabbing a real sword. Then again, some people are pretty tough, or would wear gloves.

17. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

keep back and hack off attacking limbs. (instead of blocking) it's not likely that you'd lose, especially since he has no sword experience. theres almost nothing he can do unless he is a proficient dodger. if he isnt, just attack. its not like he can block it. (unless he is reeeaally good at it, and again, he has no experience with that) if he dodges, well, the hacking thing is probably the best.

18. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Even a little snipping cut with the tip of a katana could put up a NAAAASTY wound, so, yea, like Kagebushi said, you pretty much have this in the bag, as long as you tap him in vital spot.

19. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

i'll give you 32 cents if you film this and put it online. thats 32 bigs ones baby! today, that gets you a refill on a soda you already paid for.

20. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

*eagerly awaits match report!* :D