Double broadsword

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Shortfuse, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

which style(s) uses the double broadsword?

2. Disciple

Disciple New Member

I believe there si a Korean system with double broad.

3. keith1892

keith1892 Valued Member

i know a lot of contemporary & traditional wushu forms use double broadswords...i was introduced to them using only basic techniques...very fun very cool to do

4. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

how is it fun?

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

how is it not fun? i use double broadswords their my favorite weapon.

6. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

ENISHI lol

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

yes Enishi

8. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

I have developed 'Horse cutter' techniques with a one-meter blade two handed broad sword common in the Qin Dynasty. This sword was primarily used by foot soldiers against mounted soldiers. Variations of this sword continued to be important up until the Mongols invaded China with fast light calvary and this sowrd was ineffective. The speed, use of archery and light weapons on horse back made the larger heavier weapons useless.

In the Tang Dynasty this two handed sword went to Japan and change to become the lighter curved single-edged Japanese sword.

9. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Picture?

10. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

i have a clip i can send

11. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

It's most common in the northern chinese systems using the willow leaf style broadsword. The progression is broadsword, broadsword and sheild, double broadsword, broadsword and chain whip.

12. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

My mistake in use of the the word broad sword.

Most of the people on this thread are using broad sword to refer to a Dao with a wide blade.

I was using the term broad sword to refer to along straight double edged sword (Jian) with a wide blade.

I'm used to referring to them in China as the Dao - a curved blade with a single edge or a partial double edge. Jian - a long straight sword usually double edged.