Don't Like Sparring?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sackett, Nov 15, 2007.

1. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Has a teenager i was scared has hell of sparring

Getting hit and more.

Now i love it.

Concering my fears that was all about this

2. Daniel84

Daniel84 Valued Member

i like it, it gives you the opportunity to test yourself against someone in a semi competitive but friendly environment. I get frustrated as hell by it sometimes though when i have a bad session. i don't mind being knocked around by people who are better than me even if i'm not a huge fan of being punched I always see it in terms of long term benefit. However i hate it when i make stupid mistakes consistently and perform below my best, i know it's a learning environment but i really do get annoyed at myself.

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I don't like sparring. I believe it can make people do things that they probably shouldn't be doing such as ignoring or neglecting principles.

On the other hand, as a training tool for gaining experience and building fighting spirit, I find sparring to be very valuable. Also it can be enjoyable and a good workout.

I guess that puts me in the middle, I find it to be very valuable but at the same time I dislike some aspects of it.

4. Blackshark

Blackshark New Member

I like sparring a lot, like some other people have mentioned it's a great tool for learning and when done properly and with a good partner both parties are winners. One of the first things I asked my instructor was if there was sparring during class, he said there wasn't and that the closest thing they did to sparring during class was 2 man drills and the like. And I was really thinking of leaving at that point until he told me that alot of the students get together after class or on any free time to spar, which made me quite happy, 'cause there for a minute I thought it was another school that taught only forms.

5. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

Well I finally sucked it up and bought the accepted brand of gear at my new club. And we got to spar! So it's the first time (except for a quick trip to the US) that I've done contact sparring in over 6 months. It was kind of a microcosm of how I feel about sparring.

I was totally excited and, of course, did terribly. In one match I got hit in the head three times straight. First time, okay. 2nd time I thought, Pay Attention! Third time, I lost the match and know I've got something to learn. So I'm psyched about that.

I kicked one person in the face and that was bad. It wasn't hard, but still. I know she doesn't like sparring and no one likes to get it in the face, so I wish I'd had more control. I really don't want to be the one people are afraid of.

So, I love it because I learn (and sweat!). I fear it because I don't like to hurt people but somehow seem to anyway...

6. tomass911

tomass911 Valued Member

I like sparring, because its self defence as good as it gets, winning is always good for a confidence boost, hitting stuff rocks :p and the control it gives to be able to hit someone but not need to go fullout.

Dont like, clumsy gear, lack of real fighting (too many people worried about getting hit in a fight would appear to be the case due to the gear, but i dont know anyone who cries etc if they do so dont know where that comes from)

7. Errrm

Errrm Valued Member

For me it is really weird I have only just started so I am sparring with people who have been doing it longer than me. I really want to spar and I enjoy it in a weird way, I think I feel really nervous about it even though I am holding my own in sparring and learing loads. Hopeully I'll lose the nerves soon so I can enjoy it more :)