Dog attacks ... techniques / tactics?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by iolair, Feb 5, 2005.

1. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

How would you defend against attacks by a dog or dogs?
    Has anyone ever seen any training on this subject?

2. Henrietta_H

Henrietta_H New Member

Well, kicking them hard in the face as they approach works - but after they've got hold of you, not sure what would work if no weapons were to hand. Although, given the urgency of the situation, I'd probably be keen to try out the "finger up the @rse" urban legend. ;)

3. Scarmiglione

Scarmiglione Valued Member

I have heard that if ie jumps then try and grab his front legs and push them abart, causing either dislocation or a gaping chasm that used to be the mutts chest.
    Or go with the classic hold its jaws shut and try and figure how to snap its neck.

4. shipto

shipto Atkin's for life

Theres always the Tom & Jerry approach of putting a stick into its mouth when its open :cool: .
    I too have heard that you can pry its front legs open to disable them but I doubt if this would work against something like a rottweiler (spelling?) they are beefy mothers.

5. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Pushing the legs apart works. I have done it. It doesnt leave a gaping hole though just punctures the dogs lungs and they die a slow death. :cry: The night I had to do this I destroyed the dog humanely, then kicked the crap out of the owner of the dog

6. Eero

Eero Valued Member

A sad story Badger. There is nothing worse than irresponsible dog owners. :woo:

7. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Tell me about it

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I take the traditional approach...run away and climb a tree

9. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

I own a doberman, im always fighting with him (its not serious fighting but i have picked up a few things).
    My dog fights as though its for real, except for he doesnt bite. He jumps at you with Jaws gaping and when he gets his arm in your mouth he just "nibbles" so he doesnt hurt you but knows hes bitten you if he wanted to.

Kicks are your best bet. They jump up going for the arm so just give em a couple of wicked kicks to the chest or hind legs.
    Also, if he jumps up for the arms step back and punch him right on the nose. Heh, makes em step back and sneeze a bit. Maybe time for you to walk away, run and they'll follow.

I have no doubts the leg thing works, but id use that as a last resort, if theres a way you can get away first then do it. But if its a "him or me" situation then yeh obviously do what you can.

Ive never had trouble with a staffordshire bull terrier or pitbulls who, i imagine because they're smaller go for the legs. In this situation just try kicking with the other leg, but they'll only keep going for the legs.
    Try to make em jump up so slap em a few times across the head so they try and go for your arms then do what you think is necessary.

If you think a dog is going to attack you but hasnt yet. Try to stand normal, with hands in pockets or by your side and dont make eye contact, and DONT put your hands up. This makes him think your going to hit him.

Sorry to hear about that badger, bet you were pretty upset even if the situation called for it.
    I had a friend whos German sheperd turned on him after 7 years, he had to hit it with a shovel, he was distraught for a while.

10. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

I used to go to a farm to do some work, I knocked on the door the farmers wife answered it a little yapping jack russel ran out ran behind me and sank its teeth in my calf muscle, the farmers wife was more concerned about the dog than me, I did not even have chance to kick it before it let go and ran back inside the farmhouse, coward, the woman did not even apologise. The next time I went I asked where the horrible mutt was and she said it died shortly after biting me and she was convinced my excessive amount of tattoos had given it blood poisioning !

11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what would be the effectiveness of a hard roundkick through the whole torso of the dog(they tend to be about the size of a human shinbone and foot in average sizes) to push them to the side?
    also i think most dogs only go for the arms or legs if they feel them to be a threat, because i own a psycho poodle from hell who goes to a neck-biting frenzy when he gets angry(pretty rare though)
    also instead if you can't do the "push apart the legs" thing what about a one-knuckle fist to the ribs? i hear they're not conected so it should be quite the bugger for the dog.

what does everyone thing about this? i ask cause i've never fought with an attacking dog but i've watched documentaries of wolves and other hunting animals and have been jumped by a psycho poodle a couple of times so i have the least possible bit of knowledge.

12. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

Sidestep and throw, strike or just push away (has worked for me against a friend's overenthusiastic german shepherd). If it's a small dog kick it, if it's a large one try a rear naked choke! :eek: :D

13. spacepimp

spacepimp Valued Member

14. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

That was a good article that Spacepimp graciously provided a link to. I have ran into some unpleasantness over the years with loose dog who confronted me and my leashed dog while we were on a walk. As the article says, a good loud "NO" will often stop a dog from getting too close. This has worked for me with Pit Bulls and Rottweillers before (I live in Detroit so I've been afforded some experience with these breeds).

A couple times, I did not have time to yell so a strong kick underneath the chin of the approaching animal worked well to stop a charge. However, they charged more than once both times so several kicks were required. I only offer this from personal experience and could only speculate as to the other methods mentioned in this post and the linked article. I'd probably try the choke in worse case scenario...

15. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

From personal experience, 3 rounds of .45acp to the head and thorax will kill the dog but it still came at me as I was breaking it down (a Rottie) and could have gotten a bite in. Whereas a .22 in the ear will drop a German Shepard like lightning.

Was out quail hunting as a kid with my uncle and stirred up a pack of feral dogs (coydogs in that part of my country). We each shot the biggest lead dogs with shotguns, the rest of the pack ran off.

If unarmed, I would reckon that avoidance is the best answer. When I did my Wing Chun ordeal they dropped us off in the woods, when they left we heard a pack, it gave us the necessary motivation to find our way home!:eek:

16. aaron

aaron Chinese Martial Artist

With some person experience....I have been bitten by a dog. But I have some random but quite funny experiences though from dogs and life.

1. NEVER SKATEBOARD AROUND A DOG! There use to be a dog around my neighbourhood that hates skateboards...probably because it makes a growling noise of a dog..i dunno though. But one day it jumped over the fence from the backyard and it was running toward me. I had no choice but to stay still...because if i ran...I would most likely be dead. Soon in a split second the dog was soo near that it attacked me by jumping up but missed because I moved aside and the dog landed on my edge of my skate board and the skateboard bounced up and hit the dog in the nose which the dog then fled.

2. When i was a kid and pokemon was still famous....I decided at a grocery store I would be the dog pokemon and I just went to my sister and bit her in the arm. Later on She was like yelling "LET GO!!!" and then she punched me in the nose and i had no choice but to let go in pain....

MORAL OF THOSE 2 STORIES: HIT THE DOG IN THE NOSE, or HAVE A SKATE BOARD AROUND YOU AT ALL TIMES :D

17. Goat

Goat Valued Member

K-9

Back in my younger days… before any serious Martial arts training I was a K-9 Handler in the Military Police Core. Here are the suggestions from the Army on how to handle a K-9 attack. First running will most surely get you bit! You want to be the Alpha Dog. Remember that you’re a lot bigger than most dogs and as such can command respect from the Dog. A stern strong yell can go a long way. Slowly walking back away from the dog until adequate distance is obtained. If your cornered by an aggressive K-9. If there is something you can offer the dog to bite. i.e.; a stick, piece of wood anything other than your arm then present it to the dog. The dog will most likely tear it to pieces and forget about you for a few seconds which might give you an opportunity to get away. A K-9 only has one really good offensive attack it’s bite. They are fairly slow in turning though if you side step the dog and circle it you have a good chance to deliver a strong kick to the K-9’s rib section. The K-9 may continue to fight but will be in less of a condition to do so. If a K-9 is running at you this technique becomes even easier. Dog’s don’t stop near as fast as you can and a quick lateral movement will cause the dog to run right by you. Here’s your chance. Grasp it’s tail (no kidding here, this is straight from Military regs.) Now you are in complete control with the K-9’s only weapon the furthest from you. Start spinning the dog. (sounds like a cartoon doesn’t it) All the while yelling NO NO Bad Dog… then pummel the K-9 into a wall, tree, car, ground whatever!! If the K-9 continues to attack it will think twice before running at you again. A K-9 will try to bite only what will fit into it’s mouth in the worst case scenario where a K-9 actually has a hold of your arm then lift the K-9 up exposing it’s underside and thrust kick it in the under belly. This is not easy to do; a K-9 bite will hurt like heck and it will be a challenge to compose yourself enough to do anything, but don’t give in. Above all don’t go to the ground you lose all advantage here and put yourself at the K-9’s advantage. All of these suggestions are for the type of dogs most commonly used has police dogs. The rules change dramatically with a confrontation with a Pit bull. The side step and kick technique then becomes rather foolish. As you give the Bull an opportunity to get a hold of your leg and bring you down. Defending against a breed like a Pitt Bull is a serious challenge but remember you are still bigger than the K-9. The best practice for defense against K-9’s is avoiding them altogether, don’t get yourself in a situation where you have to defend yourself against one. Lastly if you’re teasing or antagonizing a K-9 then you get what you deserve.

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

why not distract it(like making it look at your arm) and round kick it's legs?, and i don't mean a snapkick, i mean a full sweeping roundkick like he's got a soccerball between his paws.
    not many dos could run at you after that;)

19. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Id agree with goat but I would add that if you can get behind the dog you could try moving up from the tale to get control of the throat for a strangle but then their is a chance of getting bitten by the dog, my only experience with a dog was when I was holding a stick as a kid and I hit the dog woith it as it jumped at me then its owner got it under control.

20. PowerTurtle

PowerTurtle New Member

I would kick it in the face if it's running right at you, especially if you had shoes on. I would think the tail would be kind of hard to grab, since you have to get to the back of the dog while it's facing you.