Does your school teach weapons?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by kempo penguin, Jun 23, 2004.

1. kempo penguin

kempo penguin New Member

by this i mean you have the weapon not the attacker.

Our student handbook says that you begin weapons at green belt (but im not green, nor have seen a green belt weapon train.) We had one class of weapons, but that was from a student who learned it from another MA.

So anyhow, are weapons in the regular curriculum at your dojo?

--KP

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Bo, nunchucks, and sticks.

3. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Bo, Broadsword, Straight Sword.

4. Jackie Li

Jackie Li Valued Member

We use Tai Chi swords, Broad swords, Tiger Hooks, Saber Tooths, nine section whip chain, Fighting Fans, buterfly knives, Battle Axes, Daggers, Spears, Tiger Fork, Monk Spade, Wind and Fire wheels, Melon Hammers, Heaven and Earth swords, Cudgel, Saber, Bo, Snake head spear, Rope dart, Kuandao, Pudao, umbrella, I think thats about it.

5. kempo penguin

kempo penguin New Member

alright, but do any of you take kempo? :confused:

6. Zabuza

Zabuza Valued Member

my g/f takes kempo and they use all the weapons jackie li posted and prolli a few more, I dunno, but the have a ton of them and they do it alot during demo team. (friday nights :))

7. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

I learn Ryukyu Kempo, so mostly Okinawan Kobudo weopons. We don't do that much weapons training, but have learned bo kata and bunkai more frequently, than other weopons.

8. Jackie Li

Jackie Li Valued Member

I'm very surprised she uses all those weapons in kempo, I never thought they were that many. Does she also take Extreme Martial Arts? Most of the weapons I mentioned are also Extreme ones.

9. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

In Shorinji Kempo we usually don’t include weapons, although Doshin So did teach them to some students, and some branches teach them. I believe WSKO is trying to create a syllabus for them, so the techniques don’t get lost. The weapons used in Shorinji Kempo are the Shakujo or Kongojo, Nyoi, and Dokko.

Generally Kaiso discouraged their use as he believed they were no longer practical, as people no longer walked around with them. Many people still want to learn them though, and others would like to see them retained, so they don’t become lost over time.

10. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

KALI/ESCRIMA sticks

11. Ramda

Ramda Valued Member

I Take Kenpo (Red Belt)
    We have a option of 3 weapons
    KALI/ESCRIMA sticks, BO and Karma's

12. Zabuza

Zabuza Valued Member

I dunno, but they have a decent sized weapon rack, like atleast 10 feet long with different swords staffs and spears, then they have like throwing things and training rings. Other stuff like that to, axes

13. Ceicei

Ceicei Knowledge Seeker

I study American Kenpo and have learned to use the nunchakus and bo staff. I will be moving up eventually to other weapons such as sai, kama, katana, etc.

- Ceicei

14. Bill Lear

Bill Lear New Member

In our studio we teach the following:
    1. Unarmed vs. Unarmed
    2. Unarmed vs. Armed
    3. Armed vs. Unarmed
    4. Armed vs. Armed

The following weapons are normally taught:
    Staff
    Stick
    Knife
    Nunchaku

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  15. danceofdeath

danceofdeath Yaw-Yan PASAY

newspaper. comb. hair pin.

16. kempo penguin

kempo penguin New Member

sounds kinda unfair :D

17. Bill Lear

Bill Lear New Member

Armed vs. Unarmed

I would say that it depends on the situation. If you have an armed 50 year old woman, defending herself against a well built, but unarmed attacker, the odds would possibly be a little more even. Especially if the woman is trained. :D

18. S.Mac

S.Mac New Member

Staff, straight sword, sticks, broken staff, spear.

19. Chris_sirhC

Chris_sirhC 6th Kyu, Yoshinkan Aikido

While Studying Aikido: Bokken, Jo Staff
    While Studying Juijitsu: Escrima
    (just happened our Sensai had also trained in Philipino styles aswell)

20. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

My sensei/teacher also teaches Arnis. So every other tuesdays are weapon nights and we take a class of Arnis. It's fun even though I am a white belt.