does taichi have to be practiced separate

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by gt3, Apr 10, 2005.

1. gt3

gt3 Member

Is it ok to practice yoga first then taichi all the in same workout session? or vice versa? Because lately ive been doing yoga followed by taichi after i wake up, and before breakfast. Wondering if theres any downside to doing this, or any other exercise before taichi

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I can't imagine it being a problem, although Gerard probably the best person to tell you if there is :)

As for other exercises having a downside, my answer would be no, but it would not be advisable for instance to do say a heavy weight lifting session just before, so within reason I'd say it was OK.

3. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Personally, I don't think it'd be much of a problem (but then I don't do yoga). You'd be the best judge of it yourself - try doing them separate, then another day swap them over and do tai chi first to see how it is.

As with all exercises, be careful when mixing opposing types of movements. Depends which type of yoga and which tai chi you do, but I could see a problem with moving straight from focused stretching/relaxation to quick da lu or silk reeling if your muscles have become too loose/relaxed. Unless you're very confident with your tai chi ability, you could be in danger of pulling/straining something.

As I said, I don't do yoga so I'm not exactly an expert, but I met a couple of yoga instructors at a tai chi camp once. They did yoga for years and were amazingly flexible, but found they were losing the muscle strength and were having joint trouble. They concentrated almost exclusively on bagua now, in order to get the coiling power instead of only striving for "looseness".

4. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Hi,

Don't overemphasise meditation because you'll be doing too much of it. You need to incorporate some Yang in your routine. Bagua, Xingyi are better options than Taiji if you practice Yoga.

If you still want to go ahead, Do Yoga in the morning and Taiji in the evening or vice versa. I prefer Taiji in the morning and Yoga in the evening because Qigong (Taiji) at night will interfere with the circadian rhythms of your body. In other words, will boost your energy levels interfering with normal sleep. You can practice Taiji in the evening as long as it's not close to dinner and sleep time.

Just practice Taiji in the morning with no added meditation. Taiji is already a meditation itself if approached in the Taoist (Daoist) way.

Anyway, everything I am saying here is relative as I ignore your genetic structure. Maybe you're too Yin (Taiji + Yoga no good as you need to raise Fire to lower Water) or too Yang (Taiji + Yoga excellent combination to lower Fire). You should be able to know this, otherwise check out with a IMA master.

All the best.

5. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

Hmm I've been thinking about this concept a lot lately, as I practice Tai Chi and lift weights.
    The way I see it, if you performed a heavy workout, and then done some tai chi, it would be beneficial as you are refocusing your mind and settling the qi back down. Obviously it should not only be practiced after a workout because you are bound to be a bit shaky and such, but I personally I think it would be a good idea.
    I'd like to hear what the rest of you think :)

*Craig*

6. Hui Lai

Hui Lai In the end, just pretend

As far as I have learned, Tai Chi and Yoga are very different energies. Practicing them too close together may have some negative effects.

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I don't think it would be bad or anything, it may well be pretty good. I don't know as I havn't really tried it. I've mixed in taiji with other cardio and resistance training, sometimes with a little light weights thrown in now and again, in the past. These day I tend to keep things seperate, I like to warm for taiji with some stretching and chi kungs which sets me up nicely. But if mixing I would normally do the taiji first then the other training, just felt right that way round. On occasion when I did it other way round it felt good too.

If it feels ok, do it :)

8. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

HI gt3,
    I just had to reply to this one as I had an idea and wanted to ask you a question while reading your post. Do you ever feel like your spaced out with the Yoga and the tai chi. Please let me know as when I do anything connected with different energies, one after the other I usually feel like this and I have to ground myself otherwise my head is in the clouds and it takes ages to come down to the real world, others think it's quite funny to see but it's not very nice to actually go through at the time. You don't say much about what you go through so can you extend a bit please in what happens to you?.
    lisa xx

9. gt3

gt3 Member

when i do a good yoga workout i feel calm and my lower and upper back feel very 'open' and tingly and i feel taller/lengthened and very LIGHT. That's about it. When i do a good taichi workout i feel very heavy/rooted, and my hands feel warm/tingly.

I guess i see what you mean by different energies since with yoga i feel light, and with taichi i feel heavy. I usually would do yoga in the morning to energize and taichi at night to wind down. But the classics say to do the form early in the day too thats why im trying to decide if i should do taichi in the morning with yoga and which order is best before yoga or after. I'm still not sure