does anyone here practice bagua?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Taiji_Lou, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Does anyone on this site practice bagua?

Would you recommend it?

2. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I've tried it. Don't think it was for me. Of all the martial arts I've done I'd say bagua is almost certainly the most difficult to get into, for me.

That said, that alone could be justification for trying it, to challenge your mind and body. It completely ruins my coordination and really pushes leg strength. For the sake of fitness and stuff, it really demands a lot, so I think for someone who was already into martial arts and fancied a challenge, I'd recommend it. Maybe it wouldn't be such a stretch if your body is more used to tai chi. For someone looking to get into martial arts I'd suggest something a touch more "standard" like karate or taekwondo.

3. askura

askura Valued Member

My friend switched from freestyle karate to bagua a year ago, I used to beat him hands down in contact and points sparring. Now it's really hard for me to come out on top in contact. I recommend it, it's hard to follow and the techniques are rather effective.

I'm now taking it up as a result.

4. DragonPrawn

DragonPrawn Valued Member

I practice Bagua its awsome. Though with most kung fu these days you have to be careful theres a load of crap out there.

5. rivend

rivend Valued Member

This art is very interesting to me i will study more on it.Also it seems like it has a Zen aspect going on to.

6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Lou, Park Bok Nam's HQ is in your state, look it up and see if it's near you.If you want real serious no jive work your tail off to get the skills training he's a very good source.

rivend-no more Ch'an (Zen) than anything else.

7. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Nah, the park bak nam is in stanfford. that's over an hour away.

I think I'll just stick with tai chi. it suits my needs, and I found a good teacher finally.

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Glad to hear it.Keep us posted.

9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

A hour or so drive is not so bad. You ought to go and check it out.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

If I were you I'd stick to the Tai Chi for now, because starting out in two arts might be confusing and personally I'd rather concentrate on one and give it 100%.

After you're nicely settled with your Tai Chi class, go along and try out the Bagua class out of interest, because it'll give you an interesting slant on 'internal' CMA's which will deepen your appreciation of Tai Chi. (And you may choose to study both arts, or you may not.)

Glad you've found a good teacher. That's the main thing, really.

PS: ta for the sig! ;)

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Lou, that is good news. A good teacher can make all the difference.

12. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I've done a little bagua, and still practice a few bits and pieces, primarily because it feeds into my Tai Chi training.

13. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

I need to travel an hour each direction 2 busses each direction to both teach my own classes and train with my instructor. If its something you want to do travel is no chore

14. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Johnno has it spot on...

Get some TaiJiQuan under your belt first and then give Bagua a try. As you have found a teacher, he/she would be able to advise you when you are ready.

Students progression rates vary enormously, so let your teacher be your guide in this. :)

15. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

I practice Bagua, but my classes are only every 6 weeks so it will never be my main art, unless my teacher decides to move house! I find it useful to have another view of body mechanics and recently gained some valuable insights when training Wanshu (a chinese kata practiced in Wado) and connecting it to techniques i'd just learned in Bagua. If you feel confident in your main art, then a little cross training can't be a bad thing, but sometimes it can be confusing, particularly for Internal arts, as you might find your Yings and Yangs getting confusing!

16. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Where do you do that?

17. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

18. Moi

That's a drive and a half for you then. Thank god it's summer

19. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Not really, for a start i don't drive(!) and i can get there by bus (takes about 20 mins form Dolgellau to Pantperthog and usually i get a lift, but the four mile walk into Dolgellau, that is a pain!
    Oh yeah, and summer in North Wales just means it's sunny for the few minutes between the rain showers (it's been raining so much recently i think i'm becoming aquatic, and so does my dog).

20. Moi

Sorry thought you were in Conwy for some reason. Not so bad then. My favourite road that. Loverly in a sports car