Does aikido work against other MA's?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Hazmatac, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Duly noted and thanks :)

However there were some caveats that prevented a lot of my arsenal, including not smoking your partner too hard in the head (training session after all) and there were thee scenarios and not all would attack so reactive was not always easy (otherwise I would have straightblasted him and kicked him in the bollocks!)

I think it does show that anything can be executed combatively if you have drilled it realistically and often enough - I knew that teh "sucker" jab would have a cross riding it's back because I box, so if you look carefully you can see how I use that momentum to take him down a lot easier.

Like I said it technically isn't Aikido rather Gendai JJ...in Practical terms it is pretty much the same thing

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This is also my concern as well. The reason that you train MA is not to deal with people in your own style but to deal with people from other styles. If you can't deal with:

- boxer's punches, ...
    - MT guy's kick, knee, elbow, ...
    - wrestler's single leg, double legs, ...
    - Judo guy's hip throw, leg lift, ...
    - BJJ guy's arm bar, choke, ...

then what's the usage to train in your style?

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAXNmgUz9RU"]Aikido in a real street fight - YouTube[/ame]

For some reason police forces across the world are convinced Aikido works.

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This one look like "neck mopping - use your hand to pull behind your opponent's neck" to me. I like the "wheeling step" that you have used there. It follows the basic principle that you move out of your opponent's moving path and give him plenty of space to fall. Some fancy term will call this "lead your opponent into the emptiness."

Is it Aikido? I'll say it's "wrestling".

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I don't agree.

Are you saying that if you don't cross train then your art is worthless?

I've seen very few arts that manage to have punchers like a boxer and the same can be said for Thai kicks, the clinch etc.

Why have you left weapons off of your list?

Some train just for competition in their own style. Nothing wrong with that and it's far from worthless. Ask Jade Jones.

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

This.

Weren't there a fair few posts by Koyo about him teaching restraint techniques to LEO/military personnel around here too?

7. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

I'm not following you. How does evidence make no difference?

Isn't that video isn't just a technique being applied to a pre-selected attack? It seems to me that the most popular criticism made of aikido can be just as validly made of that video.

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

You just answered your own question.

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Probably.

10. Hannibal

The video is spontaneous as far as a scenario can be.

1) No preselected attack - they could do anything they wanted
    2) Not every encounter would become physical so there was no confrontation guaranteed in this case
    3) The objective was to gain the individuals details (name, address, etc...) and respond accordingly

Now granted the body language of this subject was hinky out the gate, but we often do that to each other to "double bluff" and laugh about it in the bar after.

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

That police take down will work much easier if he could use his left hand to pull his opponent's leading leg. I'll call that "wrestling" instead of "Aikido".

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJY0p1OsnjM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJY0p1OsnjM[/ame]

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Call it what you like. If find it quite amusing there are a number of people contributing to this thread who have never practised Aikido so far as I know telling me what Aikido is or isn't.

13. Simon

I think you're trying to hard to label things here.

Is it Aikido, or is it just a technique?

You could have titled the video Karate, or JKD and it would have been the same.

There is a thread on ownership of a technique. You should check it out.

The guy in your video has terrible balance. :eek: Just saying.

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Here is an example that by using the "big fist" strategy, you should be able to handle the head punches from "all different styles". Is this "cross training". It's not.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTAd32BavQY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTAd32BavQY[/ame]

Are you talking about "cold weapon",

[​IMG]

or "hot weapon" here?

[​IMG]

15. Simon

Now you're being foolish.

For what it's worth I think "the big fist" is foolish at best.

16. Hannibal

It's one reason I am quick to point out what I am doing is not technically Aikido - equally I suspect I could quite happily have bluffed that it was because the technique is pretty standard in the Aikido dojos I have trained at

Once again there is no mystery and it boils down to better training methods

I had an argument with someone the otehr day about me claiming my 2nd Dan in a Gendai system because it was effectively a Mcdojo org I earned it from. I pointed out that the techniques were valid and the way I trained them made them valid so regardless of whether he liked it or not I had a legit grade that formed the basis for my own Gendai system. (Significantly I never have claimed any grade higher in this although I suspect there is some tortuous way i could do so)

The amount of pressure in your training will make an art work; The lack thereof will make it fail

17. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Thanks for that explanation. In light of this evidence, one must certainly concede the point that at least one particular aikido technique might be used effectively if it is trained against realistic, spontaneous resistance as seems to be happening in this video.

But since aikido is generally not trained in this way, I think doubters are still mostly justified.

18. Hannibal

Always been my guiding principle with ANY art I train in

Or to make it even simpler take Boxing and Boxercise - the techniques are identical...the methodology is not

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

To train how to use "cold weapon" in the 21th century sounds quite "foolish" to me.

20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Yeah because we've done away with all knife assaults.