Does Aikido Still Work if You Don't Believe?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Graham, Aug 25, 2004.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well since we were discussing something that took place relativley recently Dave I think it would have been safe enough to take etiquette in the modern context.

2. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Loyalty was certainly part of the behaviour expected in our organisation, so yes, part of the etiquette we accepted. Sensei always made it clear that he encouraged broadening experiences but I think this was a case of acting behind his back before 'jumping ship'.

Etiquette is the word for the rules of social behaviour, often unwritten, manners - it's whatever a group of people decide they wish to have in common, so will vary between clubs.

To return this to the point of the thread, I think it's also part of what makes for good aikido - loyalty and politeness included. I'm not a great personal fan of informality and indiscipline on the mat. Yes, we all have a laugh from time to time, but train hard. Some of the Save the yarns for the bar. That's a part of aikido I do 'believe in'. Train first, then drink :) .

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  3. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Amen Brother ! :)

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I've always believed that to be the one unifing fact between all styles of MA too! ;)

5. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Question is then: Does aikido still work if you don't drink?
    I'm told many of the 1st generation students were very much into the whisky etc.
    It may be apocryphal (or even untrue) but I was told that Tohei drank so heavily he had a serious fall down stairs, resulting in a back injury - the real reason for the invention of his own style of 'ki aikido'. I ws also told that Shioda was a heavy drinker and, I think, smoker. Is it that we all have such attuned senses that we need to smash em to pieces every now and again? :)

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

LOL. Actually some people I train with do seem to be alot hard to move when they are drunk rather than sober. I'm not sure if they really have more weight underside or if they are just digging their nails into the bar at chucking out time.

7. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

No no - this is crucial practice in generating a large 'hara' full of powerful 'whis-ki'. Eventually breakfalls become unnecessary as you automatically self-right yourself. I'm sure I recall it was part of our Dan grading - if they're doing it with a severe hangover - you know they really do know their stuff!

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Maybe that's why Aikido is popular with larger more rounded people.

9. Dave Humm

lol... Whales in hakama :)

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

..... don't feel the ground any more? ;)

11. Dave Humm

Ukemi / Aikido is very much like freefall parachuting.

It aint the fall that hurts/kills you, it's the floor when you hit it ! :)

Regards

Dave