Do you think TKD can help you win mma tournaments or just a regular fight?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Marc936, Feb 8, 2006.

1. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

You might be right...but if you are that concerned about getting into a real confrontation then you might want to rethink other aspects of your life rather than how good your guard might be. Like maybe stop ****ing people off, or stop hanging out with the low lifes or trouble makers, I dunno...something different.

I am guessing that most of us that are in TKD or any other MA are not all that concerned normally about getting into a real confrontations...we are intelligent and gentle people overall. Besides that, if we were to get into a confrontation in the street we would not generally be worried about a round-house to the head. We do train with guard up and we do know how to jab, punch and counter.

We train many different ways and what you see in the video is the style of training for tournaments and the olympics. Those that are good enough for the olympics do train more that way than not, but it is fine because once again...they are smart people and do not have to worry daily about street confrontations.

2. I haven't been in a scrap for a while and when I have it hasn't been because I ****ed them off. I'm not that concerned about getting into a fight. But I do train so I can win a fight if I want/need to. That's really the ultimate purpose of martial arts, as much as I do it for the enjoyment.

Is that an implication that I'm not intelligent or gentle? Conflicts aren't always avoidable. You do train with your guard up? You just don't use that guard when sparring?

3. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

I would never try to say that anybody specific is not intelligent or gentle...they usually prove that one way or the other themselves. What I am seeing is that you are having great trouble in your comprehension of what you are reading.

I will make a seperate line for this explanation so that you can focus:

The regular training for TKD is guard up, ready to block or counter. That is how the majority of us train. BUT, when those who are talented enough are training for Olympic style the reality is that you are more likely to avoid the opponent scoring if you arms are down ready to block your mid-section and so that is what is done. Those who do not compete in that style may not understand it if they are hard headed and keep throwing in the 'real street fight' argument (which is irrelevant). It does open up your head for attack but that attack has to be well timed in order to beat the speed that one could move their arms and you are more likely to get hit mid body.

4. Well, as a fellow martial artist I respect whatever it is you choose to do. I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here.

"Those who do not compete in that style may not understand it"

Spot on. :)

5. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

christ where do you live. you make it sound like its the norm rather than a rare event.

I dont agree that MA is ultimately about defending yourself. I train for many reasons, being able to defend myself doesnt actually rank that highly. TKD teaches you to physically defend yourself, but the situaitons I have got into I have found that through my training I can difuse it without the need to throw any kick or punch. Like I said its not just about being able to win a fight by having the hardest kick or punch. As you mature you may start to understand that.

6. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Well, I will agree that you disagree...but there is nothing to disagree about. I have told you how it is and there is no argument against it unless you feel that every competitor in TKD in the olympics is just doing the wrong thing. In that case, I guess you better send a letter to all telling them that they are doing it all wrong!

If you want to talk about str33t fights...go to a different thread as it is not relevant here.

7. England! Between binge drinkers, chavs and my own tendency to mouth right back off at them you do get into situations quite a bit. Often there's no fight because Chavs can't do a thing and drunks usually can't be bothered to do much other than shout at you from their place on the pavement.

You like to exaggerate don't you? Thankyou for explaining the situation to me, but I can honestly say I won't be sparring like that, at any point during my MA career, because it doesn't suit me. That was all I was trying to say.

8. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

So, basically you came into the TKD forums to leave a post to inform us that the Olympic TKD style does not suit you and that you do not plan on doing it anytime soon? And you explained it to us by mentioning that it would never work in a real fight (which was irrelevant) and that they do not know what they are doing because they leave their arms down?

Umm, thanks for that... :rolleyes:

There is a difference between not agreeing with something and with making comments trying to ridicule something. There is already enough people around here who mock the TKD olympic style sparring because they do not understand it, or the difference between olympic style sparring and regular TKD training for non-olympic sparring.

You seem like a smart fellow...don't make the mistake of joining that group.

9. "So, basically you came into the TKD forums to leave a post to inform us that the Olympic TKD style does not suit you and that you do not plan on doing it anytime soon?"

No.... I came into the TKD forums to post about TKD. I opened this thread, seen that kick and asked why he never had his hands over his head. You prompted to me to explain myself and I did.

"and that they do not know what they are doing because they leave their arms down? "

Never said that. Just asked what they were doing because it's not like any sparring system I've ever seen.

"There is a difference between not agreeing with something and with making comments trying to ridicule something."

Yes, and I do not agree with it. I have said it doesn't suit me, nor would I use it, and earlier in the thread, before your post I said I don't understand it. I did not however ridicule it, or say you were wrong to spar that way.

"You seem like a smart fellow...don't make the mistake of joining that group"

I'm not mocking olympic sparring. I asked a question and you started mocking me and giving sarcastic answers like "In that case, I guess you better send a letter to all telling them that they are doing it all wrong!"

10. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

If I mocked you, then I apologize. But, when you say things like:

That is just the type of comments I mean where a comment is always made to compare the sparring style to a real fight. The olympic sparring style is not intended for real fights...just like Olympic Shooting is not intended for shooting people You were calling them bad fighters rather than asking questions about it which I would have had no problem with.

At any rate, you are right and I did start getting sarcastic and for that I apologize. But realize that you did enter this discussion very attackingly.

11. Nah you've definetly got a point. What I said did come out more offensive than intended. I was just wondering if that was just an example of a bad TKD guard, because I've never, ever seen that kick actually hit somebody.

12. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

Just to show another good use of that kick in a full contact fight, this time not WTF :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQwEWLH2xuY"]YouTube[/ame]