Do you punch like bruce Lee

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by karl52, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

indeed. here's a version of that done by masaji taira of jundokan goju-ryu fame:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufuJUdLqBok#t=329 (around 5:40)

and here's what i mentioned that the baji folks do:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63tWlykXoZI"]Baji - Xiao Jia Chapter III - YouTube[/ame] (the first move shown)

neither are quite the same thing as lee and singh are doing, but as far as i am aware, the mechanics should not be that far off.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I really should learn how to do the one inch punch. Seems like a cool party trick.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Singh's taiji has a big carry over and he is a stickler for body mechanics

You basically got it Fish - it's a total body engagement so that at the end of it (the fist) the energy has nowhere else to go but into the target

4. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Party trick is an appropriate description. It is pretty easy, just get the person receiving the punch to stand upright with their feet parallel so they have no ability whatsoever to brace themselves, then marvel in wonder as they go flying across the room after you punch/push them in the chest, very little force is actually required. Whatever you do, do not allow them to stand in a braced position because that will demonstrate just how week the punch/push actually is.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Sounds like some of those Tai Chi Chuan line demonstrations................

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yep
    We used to do demos by breaking wood with the one inch punch, or resting our palm on a breaking board held by our partner and using body power break it without any draw back what so ever, i used to be happy i could do this then i realised it was largely a party trick, when do you ever get a chance to set yourself line your fist up and punch like that in a real fight, when does your opponent stand there waiting for the hit lol?

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

In fairness, isn't it more of a demonstration of a certain level of achievement in controlling your body mechanics?

So, in the context of a demonstration, the theatrics of the reciever's unbraced stance, the dramatic build up etc. make some kind of sense.

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

they might make sense but if you can only show those body mechanics in a unnatural setting then is it of any real use?
    I have yet to see anyone dropped with such a short range punch in any fighting clip, though of course boxers manage it with a short hook or uppercut

9. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I'm sure a one-inch punch is useful as a teaching concept, showing people that punching is a whole body process rather than something that just involves your arms. Unfortunately it often seems to be used as a cheap parlour trick. It all depends on whether the audience are aware of what they are watching. If the audience are aware of what they are watching then it is a useful tool, if they are unaware of what they are watching then the demonstrator may as well be pulling a rabbit out of his hat. So whether it is an interesting teaching tool or active deception depends on the goals of the demonstrator.

10. David Harrison

It's just showing that you can do it in extremis, with no preparatory motion.

Like the Tai Chi "pushing over the dominos" kind of demo aaradia mentioned: not useful in that context, but it shows the person can "dig-in" and have a grounded stance.

Like Kave says above, it depends on the way you do it, and your audience.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  11. David Harrison

It's a bit more than that though - it's about the speed at which you can engage that muscular chain.

Generally, the faster people try to punch, the less they put their body into it.

If you go back to the first page of this thread, you'll see the similar way that both Bruce Lee and Mike Tyson snap their whole body behind punches when they're hitting the bag.

Instant power, rather than accelerating power.

PS. If you have to spend a few seconds doing deep breaths and psyching yourself up before you do it, that does defeat the object of the exercise, to my mind.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

TBH I'm becoming less interested in the punching mechanics on show and more interested in the rather fetching line of head adornments and sartorial bonce accessories.

13. karl52

karl52 openminded

Im not training JKD or any style like that,so the clip doent really compare to what you do.My the focus was on your power punching.I just offered to help with your punching.But at least you know now that your definitely not punching kinetically.the Problem I find with you admiting to having weak punches is they are the same weak punches that get taught to your students.

If your teaching a whole art,then you should have trained to a level of competance in every part,I have had some experiance with JKD, My instructor was one of the best punchers ive seen,and some of the hardest.The technique he used was spot on.From training with him It lifted my punching to a much better level,because your copying,emulating your instrutor.His skills get past on to his students,much like yours,but the difference is he didnt have any weaknesses.

surely you have some sort of responsabilty to pass on the same level of quality?

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You have done nothing to demonstrate your method of punching is better than a boxer's. All you have done is make unfounded claims with no evidence to back them up.

15. karl52

karl52 openminded

that second video is the closet ive seen to Bruces technigue.but even with a one inch punch theres always a little pull back to get more power maybe 3inches.its also a good example of snap or shockwaves on the end of the punch,I train shockwaves,in many ways they are similar to the one inch punch heres a clip of my version of the punch notice how i also pull back a little,and how the energy gos into the opponent rathar than knock them back,if the person hit is knocked over and instantly gets back up its more of a push,you should collapse on the spot from pain with a concussive punch
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyuJ3GdIrDA&list=PLa3lfJInckC142GH3ksDsicFLQfkXg78n"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyuJ3GdIrDA&list=PLa3lfJInckC142GH3ksDsicFLQfkXg78n[/ame]

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Karl, that's really poor and where have I said I'm not punching kinetically.

I'm not interested in an internet dick swinging contest, but rather than pick single items out from my posts, who not answer the questions about the poor stances your students adopt. Better still why not shoot a video showing your footwork and balance.

As has been said your punching power isn't in question. The fact that all your targets are static certainly are.

If you are trying to sell yourself you'll find trying to target one person isn't going to help.

At the MAP Meets the instructors recognise the point at which other arts have strengths.

I may show an entry then tell everyone, "this is where you insert your own art".

Paralympic champion Ian Rose did exactly the same.

An Olympic champion saying, "now is the time to insert what you do".

He never said, "this is so much better than what you do".

Try it.

I don't need to defend myself and maybe by leaving this thread alone it'll be shown for what it is.

Good luck, I wish you well, but it's not for me. Others can decide.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Karl, if you don't practice JKD, why did you create this thread in the JKD forum? Part of what you're describing is simply good punching technique. The other part is rather dubious to begin with.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

So how do you know you are punching like Sijo? He didn't just cherry pick moves and there was a distinct methodology to his JKD and the teachings he had therein.

Simon modestly downplays his JKD level, but I can attest that he knows EXACTLY what he is doing when he throws knuckles - we have a teacher in common who bosed with the pros

I am sure you DO hit hard Karl...don't doubt that for a second. I just don't think you hit as hard as a good pro boxer

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If he gets attacked by a plastic bottle he's all set though. :)

20. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

thats right dude in garage, you tell all those internationally acclaimed, tried and tested, taught by the top trainers in buisness, high paid athletes that compete against some of the top fighters in the world, that the way they punch is all wrong, and that you can do better, the reason you are not a top sport fighter is all because you cant do your "thing" in the sports arena.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014