Do you/have you smoked tobacco?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Judderman, May 7, 2004.

?

Have you or do you smoke tobbacco?

1. Never smoked

398 vote(s)
    49.3%
  2. I quit

238 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. I smoke, but only socially

78 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. I'm a smoker

106 vote(s)
    13.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jason Simpson

Jason Simpson New Member

I smoked, got unfit, quit got fat. Never again.

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

:rolleyes:
    probably will come up with other silly scientific evidence like it causes you heart disease, bronchiti's, slows your metabolism, increases your blood preasure or causes lung cancer :Angel:

but I wouldn't worry about that, cos it won't happen till your mid-late 20s earliest - and you'll have quit by then won't you ;)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  3. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

I started smoking at 23 after a horendous knee injury.
    Then went back to training and couldnt quit, looked real funny with boxing gloves and a head gaurd on having a puff half way through a training session.

Quit now though. Strangely wasn't as hard as I thought. After baby's birth we decided I could only smoke outside. So 3am, Out on the patio, Three inches of snow, me wearing boxer shorts, smoking a butt.

WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING???? flick. Next day off to get patches, used them for two weeks then forgot about them one day and havent smoked since.
    Been tempted, and been offered mopre than once. Just have one, go on. But I know Im an addict and just one would lead to one more etc. So I don't have it.
    Now if only I can do the same with Mr's ben and Jerry I can get back to my fighting weight

4. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I cant get the patches to stay on in the heat cos I sweat and they fall off and the nicotine lolly thingys make me sick.

5. Ophqui

Ophqui Valued Member

i VERY occasionally smoke the green stuff, like maybe once every couple of months at a party or something. These days i feel guilty when i do cos it affects my training (i dont think it has any real effects, but in my mind its bad).
    Never been addicted to cigarettes, although when i was 10/11 all my friends started doing it, so understandably i smoked a few.

6. Maverick

Maverick New Member

I'm not even thinking of quitting thanks, but carry on believing everything you see on TV :Angel:

http://www.yourlunghealth.org/headlines/quit_now.cfm

As for me, I'll continue to be the fittest smoker I know.

7. ZenPolice

ZenPolice New Member

I'm a little confused why you posted a link which clearly encourages people to quit smoking as soon as possible, when you yourself state you have no intention of quitting. :confused:

May I ask your age, and how long you have smoked?

8. Maverick

Maverick New Member

The link also states that giving up before 30 eliminates nearly all the risk of dying associated with smoking.

It doesn't matter how long I've been smoking.

9. ZenPolice

ZenPolice New Member

That's a little like playing Russian Roulette, isn't it? "As long as I quit before I shoot myself in the head, I'll be fine." The point of that article is that smoking poses serious risks to your health, and the sooner you can quit the better your chances of avoiding sickness or death.
    I would like you to remember you said that in about ten or fifteen years when you're still smoking and suffering from reduced lung capacity, a hacking cough, frequent boughts with bronchitus and other respiratory issues, bad breath, yellow teeth, and clothes that smell like an ashtray. There is a lot more to consider than "just" the risk of death (as if that weren't enough). By the way, if you happen to be unlucky enough to get emphesema before you quit, you will NEVER regain your health whether you quit or not.

I was lucky and managed to quit after 15 years of smoking. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. If you wait, it only gets harder and harder every year. If you think you'll just smoke for awhile and then quit on your 29th birthday and be perfectly okay, you have a rude awakening coming.

I never expected to be a "smoker" when I started. I just thought it was "something I did" but it wasn't really part of my life. I could quit whenever I wanted, right? WRONG!

Hey, I was a smoker and I know how it is. I enjoyed smoking. I don't have anything against smokers, I completely understand what it's all about. Let's not hide our heads in the sand, though, and pretend there are no consequences for our actions.

10. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

The link also states that giving up before 30 eliminates nearly all the risk of dying associated with smoking.

It doesn't matter how long I've been smoking
    Quote from maverik

Sorry mate but i cant read you bs any longer. You think that "hey im just gonna smoke a few more years, you know, just till i finish school, I can quit wheneva i want!" Sorry my friend but every day you keep smoking the harder it is to quit. I have been smoking for around 3years, not all that long, but already i realise that im hooked. If you want to test to see if your addicted, try a 23hr flight without smoking, then you will see exactly how screwed you are.
    I kept saying to myself, "dont worry, just wait till you finish school, then you can quitl, no worries, even though at the moment you cant go an hour without one."
    Also about "it reduces almost all the risk of dying associated with smoking", diying isnt the only problem cause by smoking, you can give yourself all sorts of problems later on in life, try getting a girl to kiss you when ur teeth are so yellow that they relfect uv rays. Or your sence of taste and smell are gone and your eyes which once used to be a gorgeous blue colour are now a fadded grey.
    Think mate, why is the death rate so high, if you can eliminate all risks of smoking?

11. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I hope that when you get lung cancer and are in need of a set of new lungs you dont expect to be put at the top of the doner list, ahead of people that only got lung cancer from breathing in your second hand smoke.
    I admit that i enjoy smoking alot, but the bad greatly overweighs the good. Remember you only have 1 body, dont f*** it up.

12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Where's the "I've tried smoking to see what the fuss was about; but was shocked to taste how sick it was!" option? :)

13. Ceicei

Ceicei Knowledge Seeker

Never saw a reason to smoke, especially since cigarette smoke is a trigger for me with asthma.

- Ceicei

14. Krum

Krum The Walking Bruise

Been 9 months since my last cigarette and i've never felt better. :)

15. Maverick

Maverick New Member

And I hope the people who inhaled my second hand smoke all club together and by me a better set of lungs with the money they owe me for the free nicotine.

16. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

It's honestly never appealed to me in the slightest.

17. OBCT

OBCT New Member

I quit 3.5 months back now, not through choice, for finances. It never affected my performance on the mat, and quitting hasn't shown any significant benifits, i would say a lower chance of developing cancer, but hey - car fumes, burning of other fossil fuels, nuclear weaponry testing (esp US Forces) and diminishing rainforests to process excess CO2, pointless wars to antagonise and insight guerilla warfare of a chemical variety, chances are i'm not going to be around that much longer anyway.

Should also bear in mind that thousands of chemicals are added to tobacco plant during its processing into a cigarette, many of which are carcinogenic. Tobacco itself isn't all that bad, but using cyanide, fomaldahyde and other low doses of toxins is pretty bad, and the marlboro fibre glass filter (now banned) wasn't the best idea (made the lungs bleed very slighly to increase speed of nicotine uptake, and increase rush). Having said that, inhaling smoke particles repeatedly over a prolonged period can't be healthy.

What next an attack on alcohol ?

My Grandad is mid 70's, he started smoking during his 20's when the RAF had a cigarette allowance, he stayed fit all that time, and still swims now, occasionally in the cold the arthiritus hurts his hands (boxing in his youth), but smoking never hurt his lungs, or affected his fitness perse, and neither did scotch or brandy.lol

18. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

Did someone say moral panic? ;)

Yup

Thinkin' about it.... esp after last night :D .

You gotta make the best of what you've got IMO, cos some people are just lucky. Ozzy Osbourne did terrible things to his body for 40 years and he's still......

..alive.

19. Krum

Krum The Walking Bruise

Heres a gif that relates to this topic.....

[​IMG]

20. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Started smoking 23 years ago in Germany when I was about 13 and my cousins were the culprits. I quit over 3 years ago now and still get cravings at times. If only it was not so damn unhealthy...not sure why but I loved doing it.

I realize now how bad smokers actually stink, and they will argue that to death (my brother is still a light smoker). Kinda funny to be on the other side of the fence now and hear the silly arguments for not quiting...