Do you have a creed to live by?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Mrs Owt, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I was going through my dojo handbook and came across this:

CREED OF ISSHIN-RYU KARATE

I believe that success is the result of intelligent effort and does not depend upon luck or cheating. I believe I will get out of life exactly what I put into it, therefore I will conduct myself toward others as I would want them to act toward me. I will not slight my work no matter what I may see others doing. I will render the best service of which I am capable and I know that success is always the result of conscientious and efficient effort.

It seems pretty common sense to me, especially the part about "succes is the result of intelligent effort and does not depend upon luck or cheating". Too many people make excuses for why they don't have the stuff or skills that they see others have. Maybe they should take that line to heart. The line that says "I will conduct myself toward others as I would want them to act toward me" seems particularly important to karateka. If you approach and treat people with a respectful and peaceful manner hopefully you can avoid any physical confrontations. I think if most people had such a common sense code of conduct to follow a lot of garbage could be avoided.

So, does your school have such a creed? I would be interested what qualities and features other schools would find important to include in their creeds. Or even if they find it valuable to include such a thing into their teachings at all.

2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

well...I think that there is a philosphy behind every martial art. How much it will be analyzed and stressed depends on the instructor, but also the students, i.e. their interests. I myself train Taekwondo. Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self Control and Indomitable Spirit are the five tenets of Taekwondo. Everyone should think about them and then about their own behaviour.

This is something we all should live by and I don't mean only martial artists. The world would be a better place if we all did. If you plan to do something good, bad stuff might happen, so what exactly can you expect when you originally plan to do something bad??? You don't have to believe in God, but everyone should believe in something that will keep them on the right track. Because a martial artist is not only a person who knows how to fight. There are other things too.

There has been a similar discussion in the Taekwondo forum, so if anyone is interested:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4441&highlight=tenets

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

The kyokushinkai Dojo Oath:

We will train our hearts and bodies, for a firm unshaken spirit.

We will pursue the true meaning of the Martial Way, so that in time our senses may be alert.

With true vigor, we will seek to cultivate a spirit of self-denial.

We will observe the rules of courtesy, respect our superiors, and refrain from violence.

We will follow our spiritual path, and never forget the true virtue of humility.

We will look upwards to wisdom and strength, not seeking other desires.

All our lives, through the discipline of Karate, we will seek to fulfill the true meaning of the Kyokushin Way.

4. Rhineville

Rhineville Valued Member

I don't think we have an official one at our club, but my personal one is:

Respect everyone until they give you a reaon not to

be as polite as those who you converse with

First walk, then persuade, then fight

and my signature
    \/

5. We have a couple of what could be called 'Creeds' in JKA Shotokan ...

Dojo Kun (Code)
    Exert oneself in the perfection of character
    Be faithful and sicere
    Cultivate the spirit of perseverance
    Be respectful and courteous
    Refrain from impetuous and violent behaviour

[​IMG]

The Twenty Precepts
    1 Karate begins with courtesy (a bow) and ends with courtesy (a bow)
    2 There is no first attack in karate
    3 Karate is an aid to justice
    4 First control yourself before attempting to control others
    5 Spirit first, technique second
    6 Always be ready to release your mind
    7 Accidents arise from negligence
    8 Do not think that Karate training is only in the dojo
    9 It will take your entire life to learn Karate; there is no limit
    10 Put your everyday living into Karate and you will find 'Myo' (the essence!)11 Karate is like boiling water. If you do not heat it constantly, it will cool
    12 Do not think that you have to win, think rather that you do not have to lose
    13 Victory depends on your ability to distinguish vulnerable points from invulnerable ones
    14 The battle is according to how you move guarded or unguarded (Move according to your opponent!)
    15 Think of your hands and feet as swords
    16 When you leave home, think that you have numerous opponents waiting for you. It is your behaviour that invites trouble from them
    17 Beginners must master low stance and posture, natural body positions are for the advanced
    18 Practicing Kata is one thing, engaging in a real fight is another
    19 Do not forget to correctly apply; strength and weakness of power, expansion and contraction of the body and the different speed of technique
    20 Always think of and devise ways to live the Precepts every day
    [​IMG]

I'd have though most of the ideals are the same throughout the Eastern Martial Arts if not most Martial Arts.

6. mountainsage

mountainsage New Member

My personal Creed

"Good enough isn't good enough."

Mountainsage

7. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

Not especially related to Karate, but these are based on medieval knight's codes of honour. I keep them on a card in my wallet:

I undertake to...

1) Trust in God and build His Church

2) Diligently and without complaint perform my duties, insofar that they do not run contrary to the laws of the land

3) Respect the weak, and constitute myself the protector of them

4) Never lie, and always stay faithful to my word

5) Refrain from the wanton giving of offence

6) Persevere to the end in any enterprise begun

7) Give generously of my time and resources to help support those in need

8) Be bold, and not become discouraged before my enemy.

9) Treat myself and others with respect

10) Be everywhere and always a champion of the right and the good against injustice and evil.

8. ranger

ranger New Member

i don't know if this a creed but as we refer to it as our motto

OUR AIM:

To Make Every Finger A Dagger,
    Every Fist A Mace,
    Every Arm A Spear,
    And Every Open Hand A Sword,

In The Protection Of Our Most Precious Right To Live
    And That Is With Human Dignity.

by the way, nice creeds you got there is it ok if we adopt them? :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004