Do you do a Computer Science based course and a MA?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by TheBorderer, Aug 7, 2003.

?

Do you do a Computer Science based course?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Was just on chat the now speakin to K_girl and when she found out I did Comp Sci she said "why do so many comp sci do a MA?"

So here's a wee poll for anyone who's doing or done a Comp Sci or similar course(could be interesting)... and any reasons as to why hey, feel free! :)

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I do MSc in computing, I'm writing my thesis at the moment. I did it because I'm a geek and I like playing about with geeky stuff, so I thought I may as well do it for a living :)

3. Wearing Grey

Wearing Grey New Member

I have my B.S. in Telecommunications Management (Data side, dealing with systems)

As for why I think I do MA and also love computers?? I love my computer to much that I get pale white and never see daylight. So I got off my lazy rump to get some exercise and self defense. Of course, I will probably only need the self defense if my computer suddenly grows a body and tries to attack me.

WG

4. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I have a Comp Sci degree, but I don't think it has any relation to why I do MA.

5. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Hmm didn't really mention myself in this did I?

BSc in Computer Science for,but if somehow at uni if I get real good results at end of third year, they might let me do a MEng in Software Engineering! ;) As for why... hmm... the club I'm in had a display at the sports fair day during my fresher's week, so I had a look round and decided to join! I guess why I do it... It helps me learn how to better co-ordinate myself (as I have a little medical condition that make my body not quite do as my brain tells it!) and it's enjoyable, all the folks there are a good laugh and good folks and I guess it keeps me fit a bit (and is forcing me to get fitter! Only a good thing methinks :D )

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

No - but i work in IT :D

System admin for 300PC network
    Web designer for same org
    Access app development & GIS integration
    Hardware acquisition, installation, support

No IT qualifications - all self taught :D

7. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Writing up my M.Sc for MObile phone software after a degree in Distributed Multimedia INformation systems with a smattering of Interactive Multimedia ...................

P.s. GIES A JOB, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! :D

P.p.s. Otherwise it's another research post! Gah! :(

EDIT: Tintin is on the same course as me too lol! Wonder how he got on at the aikido champs?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2003
  8. natxanadu

natxanadu Banned Banned

I have a computing degree, i do network support and stuff for a small ISP, I used to like computers, they bore me now !

9. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

I am studying software engineering at University of Glasgow. why do i feel we have been here before :D

10. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I used to work in IT. At a seminar, once, there were 4 of us sitting at a table at lunch. None of the 4 of us had ever met before. While talking at lunch, it came out that all 4 of us worked in IT.

I've met a lot of other computer geeks who train in MA.

Mike

11. Jonny Chee

Jonny Chee Valued Member

Wow! Seems like I am in the minority thus far! Although I have a hunch the only people who will read/vote on this poll will be people doing computer science courses (with me being an exception)! Although come to think of it, I briefly (for about two weeks) studied A-Level computer science at college.. but two weeks surely doesn't count?!?

12. inacan

inacan New Member

computers and me don't get along.

13. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

I'm probably going to do IPT next year at school. Does that count?

14. pest

pest Occasional Poster

i do both, eventualy i want to be a programmer. maby the rule "opposites attract" applys when talking about this subject?

15. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

not at the same time...

I finished my bachelor in Comp Sci in 1989, started MA in 2002.

But I still work in IT - software architect at Ameritrade Inc.

16. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

No, I'm doing a degree that will get me a job once I graduate! ;)

Col

17. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

me.
    Bachelors in Computers.
    -TkdWarrior-

18. saikyou

saikyou New Member

Im a ComSci student. why do most MA students are studying computer based courses? that is what i do not know....