Do you carry Weapons?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by killbill, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Munen Mushin

Munen Mushin New Member

If you carry a weapon (whatever it is) you should be able to use it in a proficient manner no matter what it is, without hesitation. So train,train & and train some more. :woo:

2. karate P.belt 2

karate P.belt 2 New Member

everything is a weapon so yes I do and at times comnig back from class I have used my bo :D

3. -Sky-

-Sky- New Member

while we're here, please let me stress that the best weapon you will have in 8 out of 10 situations will probably be your brain.

i know bare people who have straight shanked a random guy and have served time for it, regretted it, wish they had simply ran away from the situation instead

im wiv Mr.Mushin - train your brain boys and girlies. :D

4. blackpuma

blackpuma New Member

Ohhh... great story. Nothing like a good martial attitude.

:rolleyes: Ugh! Who has not come across those words? :rolleyes:

5. blackpuma

blackpuma New Member

In the one place that I go that the government gets testy about my sidearm, I'm likely to be seen with my big, stiff, 3' metal-shafted black umbrella... it's something reasonable for half-swording techniques (including thrusts), but not heavy enough for striking. It's no killing weapon, but I would hope that I could displace and strike well enough and fast enough to run away. :D

Kind of an odd item requiring an unusual area of training, but less likely to draw unhappy attention than a baseball bat. ;)

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

yep. having a weapon you don't know how to use proficiently is more of a danger to the user than the target.

7. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

I dont know wha\y but that just strikes me as very funny..... I can just hear someone saying "HITEN MITSURUGI STYLE UMBRELLA THRUST!!!!!!" amnd than proceeding to lay a smakedown with said umbrella. :D

8. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

I find incredibley amusing and insulting in some cases that KNOW if you carry a weapon for equalisation; that you are *looking* for trouble.
    "violence begats violence" type deal.
    What a crock of s**t.

I can tell you from personal experience that I have carried a knife most of my entire life(even in london ;-)) and I have never had the desire to kill someone with it.
    (even the ones who just need killin'!)
    In fact; back in the states, one of my favorite weapons to carry was a .22 magnum Derringer. It fired 2 shots. Lovely little thing. I didn't need a hand cannon! I even got the ever living crap kicked out me outside a pool hall in arizona with it in my pocket and I never considerd pulling it even once!
    Reason; I started started the fight(it was all alcohol related folks :D ) and the guy I started with beat my a$$ fair and square. Now if he would have pulled a knife or continued when I gave up,then things may have been different.
    For the record; I have 3 black belts and I am working towards my 4th and final one(getting old y'all!),36 years in the MA and 20+ years in various types of security businesses and one thing I have learned in my life; all this stuff of "my martial art skills will keep me alive" isn't always true for everyone,so therefore, you can't say that is a viable option for everyone.
    No matter how good a persons empty hand skills are in training; sometimes you just end in the wrong place at the wrong time and you are just screwed without a proper equaliser. And pocket stick or a flashlight isn't going to work for everyone.
    My personal fav that I would not hesitate to use in the right(or wrong) situation is pepper spray in one hand and ASP in the other. The ASP is awsome,in my opinion.

But that is my soapboxin done...

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

They were the weapon of choice for drug dealers in Liverpool a couple of years ago, Russian copies if I recall. Beautiful self defence weapon.

10. kabaroan

kabaroan W.O.R. / Kabaroan

I typically carry a folding knife with me. I use it everyday to cut open boxes and packages, I know I shouldn't but I also use it for opening staples. Its man's first tool and I use it as such.

My EDC was a Benchmade AFCK but I've since lost it. Now its a Benchmade Griptillian, but I'm not as happy with it as with the AFCK, but it does what I need it to do.

11. bulkathos72

bulkathos72 Valued Member

Well a knife does me good but my great uncle carries a poison bladed cane sword.

12. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

It kind of agree with you, to say that you want to end up in a knifefight if you carry a knife is of course a broad generalisation... It's probably true in many cases, though, how many people who pull a knife at someone is carrying a knife and fights with a knife? 100%! :D

When I carry knives, it's because I forget to take a knife out of my pocket/sack/etc; after a forrest-trip or somthing like that. I once was stopped at an airfield and had a knife in my pocket, that was kind of embarrassing, as I had forgotten that I had it there :rolleyes:

Back to you, Bammx2: what if someone you fight with discovers that you have a knife in your pocket, pulls it and stabbs you? What would your initial though be if you discovered that the one you was rolling around on the floor with had a knife in his pocket?

I get the impression that you carry a knife to be prepared for a situation where someone pulls a knife at you, but as you're closing that risk-window, you're opening another one at the same time?

I'm just thinking loud, I don't carry a knife (I think...checking...no :D ), but if that makes your day, I don't mind you carrying a knife :)

13. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

Naw. I carry a knife because I was raised a farming,hunting,country boy descendant from carpenters in the deep south in the US and it was always viewed as a work tool. A shotgun or a rifle was a means of survival for hunting. A hickory axe handle was an "educator" :D . A knife was rarely considered a weapon fisrt. It was always a tool and it always will be.

As for "discovering a knife while rolling on the floor"; I follow the LEO rule of thumb: "If his hands are outside of his pockets, keep them there. If his hands are inside his pockets,keep them there!"
    And there is NO chance of ANYONE getting my knife! I keep it buried in the bottom of my backpack; which I would more than likely be using to bash the crap out of someone with!
    I always figured if I had time to get my folder out of my backpack or my fag-bag,there was no real threat to speak of.
    My point to saying I still carry one was to say just because you carry a knife does not make you a criminal or a possible criminal element. You can't just generalise things and make a blanket statement about everyone.

I do understand completely with you statement and please don't think I was trying to inflame. I was just explaining in more detail for the ones who would assume otherwise...and you know they are out there :bang:
    :D

14. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

if i get into a fight and the guy pulls a knife i'd probably brick it and do my utmost to get out of there.

if i some how get that knife its coming back at you

i would go for facial scarring and hopefully for an eye

i would probably go to prison but in that situation i honestly wouldnt think nor care about that.

15. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Bammx2:
    OK, I misunderstood your initial post. It seems that we carry knives for (allmost) the same reasons. :love:

Incredible bulk: I agree with you, I would react similarily if I discovered a knife on someone I was fighting with; I would pull his knife and throw it in the river, or somthing

I don't (knowingly) carry a knife when I go out on a saturday night for exactly the reasons that you mention; If I meet you and ends up fighting with you, I prefere you give me a fair pommeling rather than pulling my knife and starts to hit for my eyes with my own knife :rolleyes:

16. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

dont throw the knife, clean the prints off, soak in bleach...then throw

ok i watch too much CSI :D

17. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

:D

I carry a folding knife. Never considered it a weapon though as I have had to use it for work and I have carried one for over 20 years.

If confronted with a knife, I am beating feet if possible. If not, I understand that I am likely to get cut. Question then becomes, who gets it the worse? No doubt that if I am capable of getting it away from my attacker, it would soon stay in them! Sure I may have to go to court about it but that is a far better alternative then dying IMO.

18. IronDragon

IronDragon Banned Banned

I carry a 1911

19. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Ahhhhhh!

Ching Ching Pow Kung Fu no doubt! :D

20. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

I carry a pocket knife... but as it's a mini swiss army, and not bigger than 1.5" (if it's even that!), I don't really consider it a weapon. I just use it for fixing things :D