Do you carry Weapons?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by killbill, Apr 20, 2004.

1. tellner

tellner Valued Member

What Federal law states that? Can you provide some sort of citation?

Again, do you have anything resembling evidence? The whole "high-capacity and not threaded to receive a silencer" is from the late and unlamented 1994 "assault weapons" ban. In that case anything with 11 rounds was "high-capacity". The Federal ban expired. But the last reading I did of State laws did not state anything like what you're baldly asserting.

True enough. There's also a little matter of Sovereign Immunity and the legal duties of the police. It's been ruled on with such monotonous frequency that it shouldn't even have to be said. But people don't know it....

The police are under no, repeat NO obligation to protect you or any other person. They cannot be charged. They cannot be sued. They can stand there and watch you get slowly beaten to death. As long as they make an effort to take a description and report it to their department for investigation they've done all that they need to. In fact, police have done exactly that. The court rulings have always been in their favor, every single time.

Standard police self-image is that cops are fearless protectors of the innocent risking their lives without a second thought. Reality is that their training is to pull back, wait for backup and protect themselves above all else. The advice given at the Academies and by Old Hands is "First you go home. Then your partner goes home. Then the civilian goes home. Then the bad guy goes home." If there's a risk of getting hurt you're third in line to keep breathing.

True that.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I agree with the view on pro gun people sincei was one of them but this thread has definately made me change my mind on that. No hopes of showing off a highly custom gun then... oh well.

3. shizuilong

shizuilong Valued Member

Well as it happens I'm not working for the police firearms department for leeds. But I'm an AFO(Authorised Firearms Officer) within the Police. Both pistols and automatic weapons come under 'prohibited weapons' as detailed in the Firearms Act and it's subsequent amendments. Also - I know that all police firearms are single shot only (i.e. one trigger pull = 1 round discharged) as it's part of the ACPO (association of chief police officers) requirements in issuing firearms to police officers :cool: this is because (without too much detail) after each shot fired the shot has to be re-assessed and if the threat is still present (dependant on circumstances) a second shot would be fired. we can't just blat 18 rounds at 'perps' from our MP5's/MP7's or G36's if we feel like it!!

4. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Title 18,922 et. al. State codes vary but overall transportation of loaded weapons is only allowed under special provisions (e.g. law enforcement).

Not here, victims first, then me, then the perp.

5. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Thanks...didn't have that one handy.

Unfortunately, the ban you are referring to only covered assault rifles and was also on a FEDERAL level, what I am talking about here is handguns and a state level. Though VA also covers High CAP and Silencer for rifles also. I can give the link for VA on this one, because like I said, this is a state by state one and that is where I live currently.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

"It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. "

ask for a gun link and I shall provide.

www.opencarry.org and www.carryconcealed.net are great resources.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  6. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Not a highly customized rifle...but you should SEE some of the pistols and revolvers some people carry here!!! They are sweet!

7. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

What a suprise! :)

But yea, i'll take you're word for it mate, nonetheless, regarding the single shot thing- I bet you can pull that trigger pretty quick.

8. TurboKC

TurboKC Valued Member

Chopsticks: can be just as deadly as a knife and if you happen to be stopped by police you can easily explain them away as a souvenir from the last chinese restuarant you went to, especially if you leave them in the packet.

Here in Britain before all the street urchins decided to be so blatant about carrying knives and guns all sorts of things could have been carried as weapons: a pint glass was (up until recently) a completely acceptable item to carry around with you until the authorities realised it was simply being smashed and used as an edged weapon when the occasion arose.
    Toilet chains also with a ceramic handle.
    Hammers and other heavy tools with the price tag still on are often left in cars. Normally you will be arrested for having something like that in your car, even things like broom handles, however when the tag is still on it is easily explained away as having been bought and forgotten to take it out with the rest of the shopping.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

That's not how a glassing takes place. The whole glass is smashed into the victim face. Breaking on contact. The more liquid in the glass the better, it adds weight. Almost as likely to injure the attacker due to the unpredictability of glass. What you do with what's left is up to you, normally there is that much mess that a second strike with the remains is unecessary.
    Same with bottles. Don't believe what you see in the movies.

10. locust

locust Like a biblical plague

I dont carry anything anymore but when i was in my early teens i always had a blade or tomahawk on me and by my late teens ,early twentys i'd started carrying a gun ,sometimes a pistol but more often than not my personal favorite my sawn off shotgun .Cant beat it for pure intimidation plus you dont have to have great aim.After spending quite a few years in some of the states finest institutions i realized just how pointless carrying a wepon can be.
    If something kicks off now and i cant avoid it MA does the job

11. TurboKC

TurboKC Valued Member

Yeah I know, but what i meant was it would be carried around in a pocket or in your jacket. It wasn't considered an offensive weapon until the police realised just why people had an empty pint glass on them. Used to be done in London all the time until all the kids decided to carry knives anyway.

12. fivepaknh

fivepaknh Valued Member

Unless burglaries, rape, muggings, and assault never happen in your country then there is a need. I’m sure the crime rate is lower than our, but I wouldn’t say a weapon is never needed.

In most of the states where they have the least restrictions on guns we also have some of the lowest crime rates in the nation.

I’m fortunate that I’ve never had to fire my weapon in combat. My unit is scheduled in the distant future for deployment. However, being in a commo unit I’m not likely to have to fire my weapon. I’m in the process of trying to get into the mountain infantry unit near me, but they’re at 130% strength. They’re scheduled for Afghanistan this year. I know there will be a few people trying to get out of that deployment. That may open up a few slots for me to join.

I have several infantry friends that have deployed over, one four times with the 2/75th Ranger, and most have used their weapons. So far none of them seem to have problems coping with that fact. It was just something they had to do.

13. fivepaknh

fivepaknh Valued Member

How exactly did Gov. Palin hurt the image of gun owners? By not being ashamed of hunting? By posing in pictures holding a firearm? Should hunters and gun owners be ashamed of themselves?

14. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

European's generally have a very different view to guns that America. We also tend to find shooting animals for sport mildly offensive. So seeing a politican with a gun in europe would effectively end their career. Whereas in America she his heralded as a future, leader regardless of ability.

The Bear.

15. fivepaknh

fivepaknh Valued Member

For those of us that supported her, it had nothing to do with hunting. For me it was the fact that she was the only person on the ticket with executive experience and she was a true conservative.

16. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I'm sure you would feel the need to carry a gun in Norway, I was only talking about the general attitude among norwegians. And the general attitude among norwegians is that if you carry a gun, it's because you're on your way to a pistol-club, because you're a member of a violent gang about to shoot/defend yourself from a rival gang, because you're involved in drug traffic, because you're police, or because you're in the army.

If you strapped on a gun when you were going out in Norway, and told norwegians, they would probably think that you was paranoid and/or criminal, and they would couch up some polite excuse, then stay as far away from you as possible.

Very few criminals in norway shoot civilians in Norway, even police in norway is seldom shot at. The most deaths in norway is from internal struggle amongst criminal groups, hunting accidents or from family tradgegies.

(I'd allso like to add that hunting is in norway not regarded as offencive, so Norway have different attitude towards hunting than the rest of Europe-if Polar bear is correct in his statement. As an excample; as far as I know Norway is one of the very few countries where whale-hunting is legal)

As far as Palin is concerned, she was portrayed in Norwegian media as a conservative Republican, and was generally regarded as somewhat far off, not because of her hunting-wievs, but because of her statements on Geography, anti-abortion and anti-gay-comments.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Generally in the UK you don't need a weapon. However as we seem to be importing American Gang culture wholesale then I fear this will change.

The Bear.

18. Moi

Watch that boom as the recession hits. Having little chance of a job gives you little to lose by breaking the law. I remember growing up on Merseyside during the late 70's.

19. CannibalCrowley

CannibalCrowley Valued Member

Why is that? Do they not have problems with animal overpopulation, property damage, and crop destruction?

20. Moi

Most folk live in towns and cities. Country people have a different attitude.
    It's also a class thing. Hunting for anything other than vermin was an upper class sport. Normal people just couldn't afford it.