Do you buy clothes with self defence in mind?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by lucas2411, Aug 29, 2005.

?

Do you buy clothes with self defence in mind?

1. YES

31 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. NO

63 vote(s)
    67.0%
  1. lucas2411

lucas2411 New Member

When you buy new clothes do you think about how they would be in a self defence situation? For instance..."Are these pants too tight to throw a good kick?"....etc

I always worry about my levi's stopping a side kick dead in it's tracks!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  2. Topher

Topher allo!

Well i like WC-type elbows and was recently trying them out while wearing the jacket i usually wear. The arms are quite restrictive so cant get the elbow totally around unless i roll my shoulders forward "Del Boy" style before hand to raise the sleeves :p Pitty cos i always imagined elbows would be a techniques i would go to if at that range.

3. akitaka

akitaka Valued Member

I recently bought a 2 pairs of jeans that actually fit my waist size (28), from "Plugg". When it gets hot, the jeans stick to my legs and I cannot kick high; however, it won't stop me from "Plugg"-ing my opponent's knee caps, before making my proper getaway.

4. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

No, not really.

5. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

no

halmarks of dorkdom
    1. playing role playing games
    2. major startreck fan
    3. correcting my spelling
    4. carrying ma weopons around for "self defence"
    5. idolizing a long dead actor
    6. going to vegas to see the shows
    7. buying close to meet the demands of your self defense. (unless job related...bouncer, bodygoaurd, lawenforement)
    8. having more than 2 fantasy sports teams.
    9 asking women friends about what women want and how to get chicks (kinda like asking a cow about beef)
    10. thinking this icon is cute :bang:
    11. buying an expensive car to pick up chicks.
    12. wearing a t shirt 2 sizes to small as soon as you get a trace of muscle from lifting.
    13 picking a favorite color and making everything you were, ride and own that color.
    14. church more than 2 times a week(unless you have a raging alchol problem and this is the only way you can stay sober...through christ)

btw im guilty of and 1 and 10,

6. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

its smart not to wear something you can get tangled in, fall from or slip on:)

thats common martial sense hehe

7. lucas2411

lucas2411 New Member

mai tai, did you really need to make yourself look like a tool?

8. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

im not realy sure what a tool is. so can you help me out.

im going to assume its abad thing, well the beatyful thing about the internet is your all strangers so i really dont care if anyone thinks im a "tool"

but writing a post on what is dorky cant by any worse than standing in the mirror and buying an outfit wondering what it will do to my side kick.

when you look in the mirror in the store do you. drop into a stance, do a side kick as scream hi ya!

please excuse this if it makes no sense. its 2 am here and once again im drunk so if i seeem like a jerk forgive me

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

errmmm... no.

Most people don't bother to train in their street clothes. Things can change... areas bind because of belts, buckles etc. that wouldn't on a GI or a pair boxing shorts. So it's a good idea have some contact workouts with mates in what you normally wear. Chances are if it kicks off that it won't be when you're dressed like Karate Kid. :D

For a great conditioning workout - throw on a pair of BDU's (military camoflauge pants) and go for a 100 meter swim. Be prepared for a big wake up call about endurance. Swim 100 meters and then sprint 100 meters and then knock out a set of 50 press ups. Most people can't hang.

Your clothes can affect what happens in a scary situation. But that being said if you walk around like Johnny-survivor you're probably gonna invite problems. :D

I'd say probably the vast majority of problems happen after everyone had a few drinks... means you're out and about... and usually not in jeans a trainers. If you've got shoes with slick leather soles on them - get some rubberized bottoms put on those bad boys. Otherwise you will find yourself on the ground when you go to throw a kick or slip and crack your skull when you are punching while backing out of a mess.

And finally - needless to say - anyone that is dumb enough to wear Burberry plaid in large amounts (or any amount for that matter) deserves to be bootstomped. Especially the kind wearing it on a truckers cap that is hanging off their dome sideways. :D

10. lucas2411

lucas2411 New Member

I dont mean wearing full gi outside or rambo like tank tops with camo pants on!
    I mean, buying a pair of pants that give you more movement over a restrictive pair. Or getting some light shoes rather than heavy cumbersome ones! :bang:

11. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

one of my girl friend was telling me how hot burberry pants were. she then asked me if she buys them will i wear them. im like.... yeah to a 70s golf reunion

12. slipthejab

LOL!

Yeah Hong Kong being a former colony still has lots of carryover trend from the UK.. but I have to admit I never understood how some severly overpriced suitcase lining became so fashionable. :D

13. slipthejab

errmm.. did you totally miss the point of my post? :confused:

14. lucas2411

lucas2411 New Member

Yes slipthejab, i actually did. It seems you are talking about clothes to train in, im talking about casual clothing you wear to the movies or to a party. It would be nice if you could clarify.

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

No. I don't buy clothes with self defense in mind. Seriously, who walks around the store tossing about high kicks?

I tend to wear my clothes on the baggy side anyway as I've gone through some weight gain between quitting smoking almost a year ago and all the exercise I do. Plus I wear dress clothes only to work, which because of my odd shape I have to buy on the baggy side as well (getting big thighs and shoulders for my size...).

There is somethng to be said about awareness, though, in all fairness. So perhaps it's best to invest in a good pair of trainers?

16. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I wear my gi all the time...its the only way to survive on the rough streets of Leeds.

17. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i dress like a pimp, so as long as i have my gold ring with my name on it (backwards so that when i crack someone in the face it leaves my name imprinted for everyone to see) i dont need anything else

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Since when I'm home I'm in my dobok almost all the time indoors. Jeans or shorts outdoors is the rule.

19. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

How can anyone be so sad

20. slipthejab

To clarify... lol... the text in bold is the most relative to the question you asked. While not exactly covering what to buy (I ain't yer mom) it is germain to the topic. As is the rest. Come on bro... that wasn't that hard to follow. :D