Do secret techniques ( still) exist ?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by soggycat, May 19, 2004.

1. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

squarepusher13z

Birthday:
    May 13, 1988

:rolleyes:

2. RobP

RobP Valued Member

" must now go back to all my Chinese Sifu’s and the few other non Chinese Sifu’s ( who had Chinese teachers ) and tell them they have either lied to me or that they have been duped themselves "

A distinct possibility.

3. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Btw, could you also tell the Chinese Sifus that the legendary chinese Immortal ma masters couldn't fly.

Oh, and while you're there, let them know that they can't stop bullets with charms and meditation. I heard that's been a rumour for a few hundred years as well.

4. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

Tong Bei

Oh look,Tong Bei another ancient esoteric Taoist martial arts that keeps secrets and spreads propaganda
    :rolleyes:

http://www.geocities.com/ycgf/tongbei.htm

……But even when they taught in public, the masters still withheld some skills. Most masters only taught high level skills to some disciples in their private classes.

………Shi style masters even do not like to offer general information, like lineage lists, to martial arts scholars.

5. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

Now you are being silly.
    Nobody can fly, not even Martial Arts of old or even Yoda.
    What you see in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is a martial art skill called " Heng Kung" loosely translated as " Lightfootedness", which is the ability to jump great distance/ heights....thereby giving the appearance of flying.

But of course you wouldn't know about such subtleties if you continue to get your information form non Chinese speaking Martial Artist / teachers

6. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

I know a secret technique! Ill tell all of you it! But you must promise to use it only for good!

All you have to do, is close your eyes, spin around 3 times, jump into the air and scream 'WATERMELON' then turn your back to your opponent, and a huge fireball will fly out your butt and incinerate him!

But, SHHHHHhhh! Its super super secret, so dont tell any non-MAP members.

7. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Sorry, you don't speak Chinese so you can't possibly know any secrets.

And remember folks, "it isn't flying, it just looks like flying".

Kung fu fantasy land.

8. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

MA is divided into two camps: one is the class where you hit harder to get better and the other is where you hit differently to get better. The latter is more complex and layered and often the teachers are secretive, hence their skills and methods are, by definition, secrets.

Some of those secrets are common knowledge and others are not. The example shown above of the secret breathing method that was available in any bookshop doesn't impress or depress me at all. By getting it from the teacher, you're plugging into the tradition via a rite of passage, inheriting valuable knowledge.

People get annoyed that masters don't lay all their cards on the table for 'consumers' to pick over and masters are annoyed that nobody gives a monkey's for respect, hard work and humility.

Get over it.

Rgds,
    David

9. nzric

Amen

10. RobP

RobP Valued Member

"The latter is more complex and layered and often the teachers are secretive, hence their skills and methods are, by definition, secrets."

Except for the ones who issue huge ranges of video tapes I guess.

11. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

The secret tradition of Systema

http://www.systemalondon.org/
    “ Do all the special forces in Russia learn the System?
    No, very few people in Russian special forces are exposed to the System in its entirety. “

http://www.systemauk.com/system.htm
    “ These are the roots of The System, nurtured in tradition and, until relatively recently, held in secrecy by the Communist state. “

http://www.systemauk.com/artIMR1.htm

“ At his home in Moscow, he and his wife have two kids. He is teaching his son Systema, a martial art native to Russia, which has been a heavily guarded secret even from other Russians since 1917. Only Spetsnaz soldiers and top government bodyguards were allowed to receive training in Systema. “

12. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

H-y-p-o-c-r-i-t-e

13. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

14. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Lol, read again - "held in secret by the Communist state".

The Communist state doesn't exist anymore - THAT'S HOW AND WHY WE ARE LEARNING IT! No secret! And certainly no "secret techniques" like how to run across tree tops.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2004
  15. nzric

shhhh RobP - you're not supposed to tell anyone about that until they're a 12th Dan Mega Grand Student Gold belt with red dots

16. RobP

RobP Valued Member

You get Gold Belts?? Damn, we only get camo ones!