DIY Manrikigusari?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by dra_uk, Jan 15, 2004.

1. dra_uk

dra_uk Lost in Translation

Hey,

Many years ago, a chap I knew made a manrikigusari. He used three feet of chain, and on either end he had, attached with a keychain ring, what he described as a 'concrete bolt'. This was a bolt about 2-3 inches long and had a nut attached. The head of the bolt had a hole through it, through which was threaded the keychain ring, which in turn was attached to the chain.

I live in the UK, and as these are illegal, I have no plans on making one... :D I've just never known what a 'concrete bolt' is. Any ideas? Thanks!

Cheers,

dra_uk

2. shonuff

shonuff New Member

3. Darren

Darren Valued Member

Are they illegal? You can buy 9 section chain whips... (kung fu weapon)

4. dra_uk

They are illegal. They lsited ny name (as either a Manrikigusari or Kusarifundo) on the Home Office's list of Deangerous/Offensive Weapons.

Other hits include hollow Kubotons containing throwing spikes and push daggers. Hey ho, what fun!

dra_uk

5. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Tapcon is a brand of masonry screw, maybe thats what he was talking about. Usually they are painted blue.

6. dra_uk

They weren't blue, nor were they plastic, nor, unfortunately, were they screws.

They were bolts about 3 inches in length and they had a nut attached. I always assumed that the head of the bolt came pre-drilled, but perhaps I'm wrong. Is this ringing any bells for anyone?

Thanks!

dra_uk

7. Darren

Darren Valued Member

8. dra_uk

The steel whip is not on the "hit parade" - have a look

I just lifted that from another site... Enjoy!

dra_uk

9. dra_uk

So, I'm guessing I'm not making myself terribly clear here.

The manriki that this guy made had these stainless steel bolts on the end, not entirely unlike the attached photo.
    [​IMG]
    There was a nut attached to the bolt that was the same length as the bolt itself.

Through the head of the bolt, there was a hole, through which was threaded a keychain ring, which was attached to the chain.

What do you think? :D

Cheers,

dra_uk

10. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

My view as an engineer:

I'm picking it was prob like a dyna bolt which is similar to the sleeved bolt arrangement shown on the website.

For safety I'd be using one which had a nut that didn't unlock [nylock nut is one that we can get here]. The nylock nuts have a nylon insert inside around the thread which deforms once you have tightened the nut and make it impossible to come off unless u wreck the nut. You can sometimes get them with holes thru for use if you need to pin/dowel them.

The danger of many of these "home-made" devices is that ppl use the wrong strength or design of fitting. Eventually they wear and come loose, unfortunately the results are not pretty...