DIY grappling dummy!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Bon, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Taken from a post @ mma.tv:

"Do it Yourself Wrestling Dummy.

The first thing I do is measure a kid's skelton. I used my daughter as she is taller than my son. I mainly measure the length from the top of the head to the pelvis, then each upper arm, each lower arm, each upper leg, each lower leg, and the shoulder width.

I get a piece or two of thin PVC pipe found for real cheap at any hardware store. This costs maybe 3 bucks.

I cut up the PVC with a hacksaw and vice to the sizes measured. I drill a hole at the appropriate place on the end of each cut PVC piece. I use the vice to hold the PVC in place while I drill.

I then use 10 of those circular spring steel key rings that can be found at hardware stores. These are about 25 cents a piece. I feed these into the holes I drilled into the PVC pieces to make articulating joints. There are only 9 articulating joints, but I use two rings where the shoulder attaches to the spine for extra mobility in that joint. The spine is a long single piece and the shoulder attaches at the appropriate place somewhere in the middle. The joints: knees(2), elbows(2), hips(2), shoulder/arms(2), shoulder/spine(1).

This looks sort of like a skeleton at this point. I then cut to size some of those cheap plastic foam fun noodles that are swimming pool toys. I use these to cover the upper arm, upper leg, shoulder and spine. I leave extra material above the top of the spine to be the "head". I split the foam down the middle like a hot dog bun. I then wrap up this part in duct tape - lots of duct tape. I also bridge each articulating joint with the tape to add more realistic resistance.

I use one normal sleeping pillow for the torso wrap and again apply lots of duct tape.

I use foam insulation pieces made for PVC on the lower arms and lower legs. Again wrapping with lots of duct tape.

It looks pretty much like a fleshed in skeleton at this point. I use an appropriately sized insulated canvas work suit (Walls or Carhart) from the local farmers' store. I put the skeleton inside this, and tape up the hands and feet. I also tape up the neck so the suit stays in place better. I put a few wraps of tape around the midsection and upper legs to keep the suit in place better.

And there it is. It takes no more than two hours to construct and costs $50 if you have to buy the coveralls. $5 otherwise.

I can hold it out to my side by the top of it's head and the boy can then take it down again, and again and again. He drills takedown, half-nelson or crossface to turn over, and pin. All going for fluid motion.

It's good for double legs, single legs, hip toss, judo throws, and just plain beating on. He likes to toss it around when I'm not around too, and I imagine his moves get a bit more creative then. The worst thing that will go wrong with this is a busted key ring, which can be replaced in about a minute.

This has proven to be a worthy project - I made one for myself a couple of years ago and it's still going strong.

The one I made for myself has two pillows for the torso, and one pillow each for the thighs. I also used fun noodles for the lower legs. I also bundled up some newspaper and made a more bulbous head for chokes, wrapped with lots of duct tape (of course).

Don't skimp on the duct tape - this is a rule to live by and one of the true secrets of life. "

The URL I got it from is,

http://www.mma.tv/TUF/DisplayMessages.cfm?TID=1842&P=9&FID=24&c=1

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Errrr..............

I just use a punchbag

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Same here. Sometimes I tie a belt around it to give it arms for Juji, and practice the set-up really fast.

Col

4. Basic

Basic New Member

Same again, I just use a 6ft kickbag, well its made for hitting get your mate to hold it up and shoot on it and it never screams when you hit a suplex.

5. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Do you do groundwork with your punchbag?

An official BJJ grappling man will cost you a small fortune, so for us poor folk that don't mind compromising I think that this DIY dummy offers some food for thought.