Disable martial arts? Really?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Truth Junkie, Sep 19, 2009.

1. DragonSpawn

DragonSpawn Ronin

way to come down on someone for stating an opinion you don't share. Should we not let people post who you disagree with? Maybe you should join a forum where you're the only member, or just turn off your computer and start talking to yourself.

2. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

lol....

i think some things are acceptable on a forum and others aint...

everyone is entitled to an opinion and voice that but if it is inappropriate then i guess due to the rules which we all agree too it may result in a ban :p

3. DragonSpawn

DragonSpawn Ronin

yea i know

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

If you'd seen the post that got deleted you'd probably have more of an insight into why jwt was pretty outraged.

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Cheers for the help ironized. Can't remember the CF guys name but he was one hell of a grappler

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

It always surprises me when people like Truth Junkie don't even consider the possibility of "self-improvement through challenging oneself" as a valid reason for martial arts training.

7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

A Scottish poem by the great Rabbie Burns.

If only god the gift would gie us

to see ourself as ithers see us.

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Lovely sentiment but ignorance is bliss when you're me!:cool:

9. ShadowDog

ShadowDog New Member

Well, even so, it depends on the type of disability the person has. Obviously this particular person can't comprehend that. I have a disability, but it doesn't mean I am in a wheelchair! Besides, I know some people that are in wheelchairs that could send me running for the hills!

Personally I found this post offensive, but at least it's a post to vent on! LOL

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

JJ Machado should go round TJ's house and choke him out using his disabled hand. :)

I recently heard a really good way of looking at disability...we are not "able bodied"...we are "not yet disabled". Sounds about right to me.

11. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

ive taught 2 kids on the autistic spectrum one of them being profoundly deaf. both with that little bit of extra coaching were just as good as any other child at thier grade. I do however think theres a limit to where SOME people with CERTAIN DISABILITIES should be allowed to grade to. Black belt for some disabled people isnt realistic

12. Southpaw535

As a quick disclaimer thing I'm NOT trying to be harsh to people who are disabled but I was thinking about training partners. The amputee in that mma video for instance, I have god knows how much respect for him getting in and doing it but if you're his opponent you can't fight back properly 'cos you'll look bang out of order. Point I'm trying to get to is I'm not sure that I'd be able to partner a disabled person past a certain point. I'm probably looking like a twit for saying that but isn't there a slight, harshness maybe, to the other students?
    I'm not talking someone who's deaf or anything by the way I mean people with severe disabilities that seriously hinder their training.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  13. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Oww I don't know I think you'd have a fair few problems rolling with this guy

:evil:

:D

Attached Files:

14. Dean Winchester

I have a son who’s on the spectrum he’s recently started training in Wado Ryu, he’s 8.

He’s doing really well picks it up quick as long as he’s shown what to do and not told, his auditory memory is very poor but he has excellent visual memory.

The main problem he has at the moment is when the class splits into grade groups when there’s the teacher and assistants all teaching at the same time, to different groups. He has a lot of trouble concentrating on his group because he keeps picking up on the instructions being given to the other groups, he suffers from sensory overload but I’m very proud of how he’s coping with it all.

He’s yet to do anything near sparring, the Dojo seems to ram home the kihon for a while anyway which is good, but our worry is that as his senses are more acute than someone who is neuro typical he’ll react more to contact than most children his age would.

Have to say though the club he goes to is very very good.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You have a son?! I seriously thought you were, like, 16 or something!

16. Dean Winchester

Git!

:D

I'm in my 30's and have four kids.

17. Southpaw535

Gotta say thats great to hear Dean best of luck to him :cool:

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

And I've no doubt each one is proud to have you as a dad :cool:

19. Dean Winchester

cheers

My eldest is is only a year younger than southpaw......dam I feel old now

20. Dean Winchester

There were comments on here, by our now banned troll, about people with disabilities doing better or more worthwhile things with their time than MA.

Well my lad suffers from concentration problems as part of his disorder, for those that don’t know the autistic spectrum can cover a wide range of “symptoms”, and he has very poor fine motor control. Now these two problems alone can be improved via training in MA.

Already with practice of his front kick his balance has improved as has his co-ordination, only to a very small degree but it has got better. I’m hoping that his ability to maintain his concentration will also improve over time. The good thing is the Dojo teaches by way of lots of repetition of a few key techniques which is perfect for someone on the autistic spectrum.

Now to be honest I can’t think of an activity that will improve his problem areas in such a complete manner as MA training, so I certainly can’t see what he could do that would be more worthwhile.