Differences in ITF

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by LewisHolder, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If we're going to go down the route of discussing sine wave, which we certainly can do, could we add the discussion onto one of the many existing threads about it please? I don't want do derail this thread with a detailed discussion of technical differences.

We've covered the basics I think, any more doesn't really have bearing on this thread :)

Mitch

2. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

We could certainly ad on to a thread. Did a search on tis BBS and the first page did not list a specific Sine Wave thread.

I am sure it might turn into much more, but I am curious as to what Van Zandt's perspective is so I can gain insight into the foundation for his comments.

3. LewisHolder

LewisHolder Valued Member

I'm relatively confused with all these differences.

Why did they break away?

As for sine wave, I don't know much about it however I heard that sine wave was developed by Choi himself in the early 80's so my question is why drop such a technique if it came from it's founder.

Who changed the black belt pattern?

I'll be sure to visit the club you linked.

4. LewisHolder

LewisHolder Valued Member

Is that bad or good?

5. Mitch

Many people do not believe sine wave to have any value. In any case TAGB did not drop it, it was developed into its current form after they left.

They left primarily when required to be personally financially liable for a tournament that they knew would lose vast sums of money, potentially bankrupting them.

Gen Choi changed the patterns in honour of North Korea, many would say for financial reasons.

MItch

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Sine Wave was touted as a method of improving power in strikes. I suppose in theory it could be like Jack Dempsey's 'drop step', a natural dropping of the body to put weight into a punch. But this is far removed from the over-emphasised version taught today.

Besides, speed is the most important factor in developing power. In Gen. Choi's book he puts forward a formula that states power is increased x3 if mass is increased x3, but speed remains constant; power is increased x9 if speed is increased x3, but mass remains constant. Speed is not increased by a dropping of weight into a technique (and certainly not by the sine wave taught today), but by a process called the stretch-shorten cycle.

In sports calling for a generation of maximum power in movement (before punching, jumping, or throwing a ball), you instinctively make a movement in the opposite direction. A prestretch increases power because muscles work best in dynamic concentric actions if you contract them from an optimal stretch. Therefore developing flexibility to increase muscle extensibility will let you exert force on the object (fist, ball, etc) on a longer path for a longer time, accelerating it more.

In my opinion, Sine Wave was a term coined to give the ITF a unique identity that separates them from all the other ITF-style organisations and flavours of TKD that exist. Sadly it failed and makes them look rather silly. Sine Wave is useless.

7. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I think you're still reading a lot in to this. If there is a great instructor with great students in a great class, that is what you should look for. Affiliations etc... Mean relatively little compared to that.

In simple terms, if the ITF-NK club in your area is better than the TAGB clubs, go to that. If a TAGB club is better, go to that. Go to the classes, ask questions and observe/report back for further input would be my suggestion.

8. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Sorry, not following - what sort of opportunities are you talking about? And how do they differ from other orgs?

Can't speak on the tournaments, as I`m not TAGB - but on one side.. most orgs do comps and on the other, is the poster looking for the more sport orientated side of TKD anyway - I didnt get that impression from his post.

I am only asking as I don't believe you can say 'join this org' if you want this and this and this... as orgs syllabus's (all of them) are severely limited and often lacking IMO... and it really comes down to the club and the club instructor in regards to what is and what is not taught and of course, how well it is taught. Kinda like exactly what Prizewriter has put below:

^^^^^ Agreed :)

Stuart

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Well, yeah. I said at the very start of this thread it all depends on the club and instructor. But the OP kept asking about which org is best, and in my opinion, it's the TAGB, based on the fact they treated me the best out of all the orgs I experienced.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Here's what I wrote in my very first post:

11. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Just for comparison sake, there is also a WTF school near the original poster:

http://www.wtkd.co.uk/

It might be easy to descend in to stereotypes and say "Oh those WTF schools are just all about sport", but that isn't always the case. For example, the WTF association in my neck of the woods has a dedicated honisul section as part of their grading syllabus covering a range of attacks against grabs, takedowns, ground escapes, weapons etc.... The local TAGB class I use to go to had none of that.

12. Mitch

And to be fair, there's nothing at all wrong with being a sports-focussed club as long as you are open and honest about it. :)

MItch

13. StuartA

Yes, sure. My posts were just based on when you started touting the TAGB.. and nothing wrong with that if your part of them and impressed with them etc. Was just wondering about some of the things you said :)

You still didn't expand on what sort of opportunities you were talking about? And how do they differ from other orgs?

Stuart

14. StuartA

Very few are though... open and honest about it... yet so many are really sport based and often in denial for some reason!

Stuart

15. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I actually think some schools don't realise they have descended in to the realms of sports MA sometimes.

For example, in the TAGB school they scoffed at WTF schools as just "sports", but all we did in class was warm up, patterns and sparring. And at that time the TAGB were doing a helluva a lot of comps of their own. I genuinely don't think my coach realised how far down the "sports" route the club was going.

16. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's semi-contact!? What else could anyone think?

17. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Interesting. You should note that what you state in your first paragraph is exactly the same as what General Choi taught. Specificaly, with exceptions, each motion starts with a backward / opposite direction motion.

As for your second point, I will say that our opinions vary greatly. Yours seems to ignore that the couple of pages that address sine wave also list "Saw Tooth Wave" and "Flat Wave" These three waves are metaphors used to describe the motion of the body. Sine wave is a smooth up nad down motion, flat wave is where the head remains level as seen in certain "Karate Styles" and saw tooth wave is a jerky / angular motion.

The sine wave is not the goal, but the result of flexing the knees slightly when stepping or to add power in hand techniques. So, it seems you prefer the flat or saw tooth wave and see no benefit to flexing the kness in a fluid motion.

AFAIAC when a boxer flexes their knees when punching that is the same as Sine wave. Useless?

18. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I think this one is really difficult to substantiate. Having said that I do sine wave and in all honesty I can say it certainly feels like I am generating more power when using it to punch. That may or may not be the case but it certainly feels like I am bringing the power from my feet when executing the punch. Again this may not actually be the case although I perceive it to be.

Baza

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Are you telling me you actually believe Sine Wave, as it is performed by the majority of ITF stylists who do it, is a useful tool for teaching how to add power to a punch? I hope not.

Nope. I was saying speed (and thus power) comes from the stretch-shorten cycle, not from Sine Wave.

Besides, there is nothing "slightly" about the stepping or knee flexion in today's Sine Wave.

Please don't try and compare Sine Wave (or even TKD as an art) to boxing when it comes to punching. Just... don't.

My point is this - Sine Wave is so over-exaggerated these days (for artistic purposes maybe, who knows?) that it has lost any usefulness as a training aid. Its usefulness at any point in its history was dubious at best anyway. Patterns have limited carryover to live application, Sine Wave even less so.

20. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

The concept it not unique to TKD If you read boxing literature, it is often stated that a majority pf the power in the punch comes from the legs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.