Differences in ITF

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by LewisHolder, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So let me get this straight...you have martial skills in ITF TKD but have forgotten or never been shown a low block and how it is applied in ITF TKD when blocking a low attack?
    Literally one of the first 2/3 techniques you will be shown when you start and a technique you will probably do in almost every lesson thereafter in some form?
    Knowledge that someone with 6 months of TKD experience would have?

I mean...that strikes me as odd.
    Like someone claiming some TKD knowledge or skill but being unable to tie a belt or bow properly.

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'm sorry but depending on the art and club then grade can mean much

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

ITF I think it's worth noting that everyone thinks their martial art is the best. Everyone says to themselves "Hey, why would anyone train anything else? I submitted a guy in fifteen seconds, why would I bother playing patty cake with a boxer?" That is, until that certain someone gets tapped on the nose and then lit up like a bunsen burner. The people you're talking to have, for the most part, long since passed that stage of their lives where they were myopically focussed on their first martial art and the kick buttery of their first sensei. They've sparred with people from different traditions and have come to realize the virtues of different practices through defeat after humbling defeat. I don't think anyone here has issue with your enthusiasm for ITF so much as your enthusiasm to the exclusion of different martial arts practices. It's relatively obvious that you're on a new high. That's good. I hope you retain that enthusiasm for many years and continue to be happy with your training. But the virtues you've found are not the sole provenance of ITF TKD and in fact, can be countered, minimized and destroyed by a variety of systems. Or vice versa. My one piece of advice in posting here would be "Don't yuck other people's yums."

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Well then he should be ashamed of himself.Irish dancing has much better footwork.You have to to deal with 9/8 and 12/8 times-all that slippin' and slidin'!

6. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

You and others in here insist on categorizing me into a group of people that I don't belong to. Lacking basic reading comprehension - reading things into my posts which I never claimed or implied.

For the record: I rate Muay Thai ahead of ITF Taekwondo in effectivness. It demands aloth more talent from a TKD stylist to make his fighting system work, than it does for the MT-practitioner.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Are you saying you can change the abdominal workout your instructor asks you to do, or that you can do site ups differently?

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

My buddy has a saying about PhDs.

If someone says something and their audience doesn't understand it, then the speaker is bad at public speaking.

If a PhD says something and their audience doesn't understand it, then the audience is stupid.

Do you have a PhD?

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm going to ask that, going forward, people focus on the content of this thread. There's quite a bit of commentary focusing on the people involved. Let's argue the points, not the poster.

10. itf-taekwondo

Today we changed back and forth between push ups and sit ups.

Whenever it's sit ups he says the number of times we shall do it, but that we can perform them which ever way we want (positioning of the body and feat).

We had 80 push ups and around 60 sit ups in the conditioning today. is this normal for ITF practice, under a korean?

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You'd have to ask someone who trains under a Korean instructor. I can't answer that I'm afraid.

I'm personally not a fan of sit ups and don't think they're a good core conditioning exercise.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074861362&postcount=19

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074862674&postcount=23

That's not to say I've never done them. We used to do up to 600 in one go when I did Shaolin Long Fist Kung Fu.

That though was in the 80s and I now know I'd get a better workout and with less fear of injury from something like planks.

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

A good fitness instructor will offer an easier and harder variation of an exercise, which is always best.

I'm not following this thread at all btw, just diving in the deep end so my information might be irrelevant to the conversation.

13. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i'm just curious. how much experience in itf tkd do you have? i don't care about your belt, but how long? because sometimes you really give an authoritative sounding answer. other times, you ask questions like this. isn't your dad like some kind of shihan?

14. itf-taekwondo

I am new in ITF. That doesn't mean I haven't done martial arts before (both Shotokan and WTF)

My father gets payed to travel around the world and hold demonstrations. He also recieves an income for sporting achievement from his home country. He doesn't know anything about Taekwondo. Which is only natural since he doesn't do it.

15. itf-taekwondo

It is his claim that in his organisation, he can grade anyone up to the maximum of 10 dan, since he is shihan. He doesn't care to have more than his current 6th dan. He thinks it's enough.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  16. Giovanni

what does that part mean? like how long have you been training?

17. itf-taekwondo

Not very long. How is that relevant to this discussion? I can assure you I kick harder and faster than 90% of the black belts in my current club. It's not even close.

I will also have double gradings this year.

18. Giovanni

why do i care how fast and hard you kick and whatever a double-grading means at your club?

it's relevant because sometimes you come off saying things in a really authoritative fashion. maybe it's just your style. just the way i read your posts, and i could care less about itf versus wtf, tkd whatever discusssions, but you posted in the aikido forum like you knew something about aikido too. and you seem belligerent at times when more experienced people inform you about the error of your posts.

maybe if you haven't been training too long, you should ask more questions?

19. itf-taekwondo

I know about Aikido through the internet and the fact that joint manipulation and throws in ITF taekwondo are said to be directly taken from Judo, Hapkido and Aikido. I reject joint locks and manipulations from experience of doing it in the club. As does the guys I do them with.

20. Giovanni

no, you don't know about aikido. you also don't know about hapkido or judo.

the point of starting from joint-locks and such manipulations in training in aikido and hapkido is simply to help users get the feel of mechanics involved and to elucidate principles, in a safe and controlled manner. in reality, those are low percentage techniques. sure, there's a time and place for any technique, but in most situations, those manipulations would not make the tool-kit so to speak. the founder of aikido himself said aikido is mostly striking in reality.

i've trained aikido. i'm a black belt in hapkido. and i train in judo and bjj now. just so you know who you're talking to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.