Did you know the Jitsu foundation....

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Epitome, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

When I did Aikikai Aikido we would go out every friday for what my teacher called third class, which consisted of a sushi bar and lots and lots of Sake.

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

This is why I say you have to be honest about why you train.

Most University clubs are just about the social aspect and not much about the training.

This is why I went 'off campus' for my training when I was at University. Of course, this is not to say that there aren't good competitve Uni clubs out there, just that there are few ;)

3. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

In my experience at university the people who are serious about learning to fight will go to the judo club over the jitsu club.

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

In my experience it was the other way around. People went to Judo to learn to compete, they came to the jitsu club to learn to defend themselves.

Many cross trained in both, myself included.

5. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

People go to CKD to learn to defend themselves too... doesn't mean it's where the smart money is.

6. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

True enough, where people go is irrelevant. However, the majority of jitsu clubs I've seen have turned out pretty tough, well-trained high grades with experience of dealing with attackers using all sorts of strikes and weapons, which is presumably what you want from a self defence martial art.

The politics at the top end which can slow high grade training down to a crawl as the fact that they're expected to start teaching whether they want to or not is somewhat detrimental, but the quality of training is generally a very good standard due to the close ties between satellite instructors and their own more senior instructors.

I wouldn't go back through choice because of a few issues I have with the politics and the training mentality concerning things like their warmups, but the training itself is generally pretty good.

Nothing like CKD in that respect! ;)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

In my experience everyone went to the TKD club because they were better at marketing (probably something to do with all the committee being in business/economics courses, there being a virtually guaranteed 'promotion' stream, the idea the belt colour=deadliness, and them using lots of cuties at the sports fayre table).

Of course, when I organised the cross training days (at one point I'd trained in all four of our uni MA clubs) it tended to a bit more interesting as to 'who could fight' ;)

And 'fighting' is such a subjective term anyway ;)

8. 22lazy

22lazy New Member

I've been part of TJF for about 2 and a half years. They're a fun and friendly organization, except at gradings where it seems to be policy that if you're a sensei you have to be an arsehole. Because nearly every uni has a club the social life is pretty good with National events including competitions and just visits to places like the lake district.

It's definitely not a McDojo, I can say this because:
    1. They're non-profit, and operate mostly at universities where you can pay typically £30 for 3 months training 2 hour sessions twice a week if you're a student and around £50 for non students.
    2. They don't hand out belts easily (except the first belt, yellow) and it takes at least 7 years to get a blackbelt.

It seems almost definitely taken from judo, as well as a few aikido and karate moves.

I think apart from a lot of their defence from weapon training their stuff mostly works but the problem is it lacks free fighting which is why I took up judo as well. They do a bit of randori which for lower grades is judo rules ground fighting. Some clubs do a lot more, and there is a little bit of stand up judo which isn't generally taught but they do a competition which I think originates from the fact that they used to teach judo as well a long time ago and that a lot of the dan grades also have belts in judo as well.

They do very good breakfalling which is mostly judo style, too much if you ask me. If you want to learn self defence they'lll teach you some nice stuff but you need to supplement it with judo and ideally a striking art too.

9. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Well I realize this is an old thread but an interesting topic never the less. The social aspect of jujitsu always bothered me because I don't drink alcohol. Watching my sensei and others down beer after beer was a test of my will power. After they stopped trying to get me to drink (against my wishes) it became a fun experience. We eventually expanded to going to korean resturaunts or japanese steakhouses. I didn't mind them gulping down sake as long as I could get a traditional asian meal. Oh, I usually had traditional tea with my meal.

Somebody's got to be the designated drivers. LOL

10. 22lazy

22lazy New Member

Lol I've never really seen people gulping down beer after beer except on socials arranged to go out where it's understood that's what some people are going to be doing. After a lesson most people stick to 1 or 2. At the general social events I've never really seen people trying to get people to drink against their wishes, but then I think the atmosphere would be different compared to where you are as I've only ever trained at London clubs.

So where did you start learning it and are you still with the foundation? I ask because it says you're in Maryland and I have no idea if there's a club there.

11. hardball

hardball Valued Member

American Jujitsu Association

I turned my basement into a studio and I teach private lessons by appointment only.

www.tommycaro.com

12. 22lazy

22lazy New Member

Oh right yeah had a look at your website. You don't mention the foundation at all. I'm guessing you didn't stay with them long.

13. hardball

hardball Valued Member

I'm not part of the foundation. I'm not in the UK, I'm in the us. I read part of this thread and commented because of the text about going out to drink. Sorry, If I'm off topic.

14. 22lazy

22lazy New Member

Ohhhhhhhh... That makes sense haha.

15. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Now you got me curious. I'll have to research the jujitsu foundation.

16. 22lazy

22lazy New Member

The name is actually "The Jitsu Foundation".

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  17. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Yea, I did the research and found them. Looks like a solid organization and a good place to study the Japanese system.

Again, sorry I strayed off topic. LOL

18. 22lazy

22lazy New Member

Lol well if you're ever in England On holiday come down to a session and have a (Nonalcoholic ) drink with us.

19. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Actually, there are some great non alcoholic beers on the market. I especially like the St Paulis NA but I'm open to others. Thanks for the invite. Hopefully, I'll take you up on it one day.

Cheers Mate

20. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Closed for pretty much nothing in this thread being on topic :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.