Did Bruce Lee ever lose a fight?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Darkstorm, Dec 7, 2004.

1. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

He also had many run-ins with Triad gang members in HK and i think in the USA.

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Now that "rumor" I have read about in several bio books. :)

3. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

wasn't he on his school boxing team or something?

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Something like that, yeah. In any event, I think (like aikiMac said) that one's generally accepted.

The Wong Jak Man fight is accepted. The sparring match with Sammo Hung on the set of Enter the Dragon, I've heard repeatedly. The fight with some nameless stuntman on Enter the Dragon. (Not sure I believe that one.)

A few dustups. Certainly more than I've had.

Stuart

5. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

a fight with sammo hung? never heard of that one. I think the one on the set did happen as htey hired loads of HK extras and one guy wanted to test his speed of kicking

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

A sparring match, yeah. Could be complete nonsense. I don't know.

7. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

That statement is so unfair to people who are busting their faces in competitions..

8. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

putting on my asbestos suit...

We've all heard of (and even heard from here on MAP) these guys who have jumped from school to school, never reaching the advanced levels of any style, and who after some years of doing so decide they know so much, it is time they create their own style that is so much better than everything else. Typically these guys get the ridicule they deserve. But sometimes Ed Parker introduces them to his movie star friends and then they become world famous MA icons.

I'm just sayin... Bruce Lee was a pioneer in many ways. One field he excelled in was dojo-hopping ego-maniac style. Don't get me wrong I love to watch him dance, that duet number with Dan I in the footage from Game of Death is AWESOME.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So... Lee deserves ridicule?

10. tommy

tommy New Member

Her had exceptional movement skils...after all he was a dncer first. Using those techniques in battle is another story. He was a small guy too, as I said, I don;t believe there is any record of him fighting. Obviously he may have and he may have been quite good...but I have never herad anyone say that had witnessed him sparring or real life fighting.

The movies are entertaining yes, but from a martial point of view they are cheesy. My personal opinion I guess

11. tommy

tommy New Member

wow...sorry about the typos....!

12. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

Chuck Norris perhaps gave him a run for his money

13. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many people believe in Bruce Lee today, and that "image" just like one of santa clause must not be broken. For many MA he is idol, and it should be that way. Thats the point. Maybe he was best fighter, maybe he wasn't. Bu you can't deny the importance of his work JKD.

14. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

ok, do any of you guys think you could "hold your own" with him in a fight...considering you think his moves are "cheesy" and he is just a "dancer"? :rolleyes:

15. tommy

tommy New Member

I said MOV"ies" are cheesy...not moves. put on your glasses.

That is an interesting question. It hard to say if he could take a real punch or kick or not...? he was fast and coordinated...as I said he may have been a very good fighter...I just don;t know.

I do know however, that most of the moves in his movies would not work...

16. CobraMaximus

I think prob if any grapplers/wrestlers got close with submissions and stuff lee would be stuffed. He wasn't built for strength but for speed so if you could match his speed and put him on the ground you'd have the upper hand if you had any sort of strength

17. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I certainly dno't think his movies were cheese, in fact i hold Enter the Dragon to be one of my favorites of all time.
    I think he would won most of the fights today also,
    he WAS lightning fast

18. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Dude he was powerful and very fast...why do u say he wasnt poweful?

19. CobraMaximus

He had a strong punch BUT in brute physical strength many people could easily overpower him. His punches were fast and strong but he has very little actual muscles on his arms

20. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

well, I didn't say that exactly...

but if somebody came here to MAP and wrote a post describing how they studied a few years of tai chi with their Dad and a few years of WC, and some western boxing as a kid, and a litel chinese KF in teh USA, etc... and then he creates his own style that _on principle_ takes all other styles as weaker or even useless... how would that poster be treated??? Certainly NOT as the next Bruce Lee!

But clearly he was onto something becasue JKD has survived. But could that have been more about Dan Inosanto and his experience and talent and hard work? How much of JKD's success can Lee take credit for (he can't take any credit he's dead) I mean be given credit for?

Bouillabaisse vs Emerils' fish stew.

Yes, Emeril is a great chef and his recipe for fish stew is certainly yummy. But bouillabaisse is an enduring classic with depth and history and tradition, while Emeril is popular and accessible but lacks real depth and sophistication.

So no I'm not saying Lee was a dojo-hopping ego-maniac, Im saying that what he did looks a lot like dojo-hoppnig ego-mania.

And he certainly DOES deserve to be ridiculed for those silly monkey noises!!!!! :woo:

note: I am still trying to get all the ingredients I need for Emeril's fish stew so please don't interpret this as any kind of expression of my own skill or talent.