Destruction/ Power testing

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Tosh, Dec 6, 2002.

1. ROBERT

ROBERT New Member

You have to practice your striking techniques in some way. And who doesn't love to break things.

Robert

2. Cain

Cain New Member

Umm.......I believe breaking boards hv other reasons as Tosh said

|Cain|

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I was trying to be funny (sorry ive got poor sense of humour)

I think breaking has a purpose.

If it doesnt why do people hit pads, shields, wooden dummies etc Are they not inanimate objects?

4. Cain

Cain New Member

Ok Doc

BTW I was going thru the MAP archives n found a good post by ladyhawk, thought it might fit here well

5. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Cheers Cain that about wraps it up i guess! :D

6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Can u sumurise that cain and put that summary into a conclusion and sumurise that ;)

7. Cain

Cain New Member

Gee!!! The article simply suggests that breaking boards do hv a use, however, I hv not written the article, simply found it in the MAP archives :)

|Cain|

8. Cain

Cain New Member

The most impressive break I hv seen? Well.........at one demonstration at which my instructors had gone to [I had'nt] a BB in there broke an ice slab which was about 20 inches thick with his head........now that's wat u call using ur brain :D

|Cain|

9. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

I kinda like this one.

Ouch. I mean what makes you wake up and think.

"Hey, how about i stand the bricks up the other way."???

Crazzzzy!

10. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

I think I'd rather break those bricks the way it is in the picture rather than the long way. Looks like they would be more reinforced the other way, it's just that the striking surface would be a little bit more forgiving than end on end.

11. r4bid

r4bid New Member

anyone know aht 11U2 means in that article? is that 11.2 or something else? I am doing a project on breaking for school and need to know

12. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Oyama was the standard bearer in terms of breaking power. His was the standard of excellence. If he hit you, you would be going down. If you blocked him, your arm broke. That is true power!!

13. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

BTW, breaking board is one thing. A fat guy who puts his weight behind it or someone with a heavy arm, can chop a lot of boards. Breaking a suspended board (not supported), now that takes real striking power!

14. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Yeah alright... I did find a thread on "board breaking" here in the TKD forum! I love to break !!!

Just was wondering how many of you do break, how often and whether or not it is part of ranking requirements within your individual schools.

We have always included breaking in our curriculum from white belt on up....and our school does have "breaking classes".

The Black Belt breaking classes have a habit of getting very imaginative as far as breaks go....but being proficient at board breaking is a lot like being good at telling a joke its not what you break; it's how you break it.!!!

Power AND Speed!!! We call them "speed" breaks at our school and I have personally done a few of them with a 1 inch board with elbow strike, hook punch and roundhouse .

Right now I am working on a 5 board break. I have only done 4 boards so far.....
    Just went to the lumber yard this weekend and ready to tackle the next class! I'll let you know how I do!!!

15. Mark Davies

Mark Davies Valued Member

I LOVE POWER TEST!
    Ok its true that 'boards don't hit back', but in the course of my extremely dodgy professional past I've had to use my training VERY extensively. One thing I know is that if you hit someone full pelt in a boney area theres a good chance you're gonna break your own attacking tool. Power test to be done properly requires that you have a properly conditioned attacking tool. If your only breaking one or two boards fully supported it only demonstrates that you have accuracy, focus & confidence in your technique. But breaking more than that really requires conditioning, & so does effective use of human weapons in self defence. All the Masters I know & have trained with have very well conditioned hands & feet, I always think of Grandmaster Rhee Ki Ha's mountain range that he had installed to replace his knuckles! My Instructor got a Gold medal at the ITF world championships, for hand destruction, doing 6" with reverse knife hand. He has a very well conditioned attacking tool there & he did'nt even have to do any work on it! He was working offshore on an oil rig & a steel door got blown off & fell on him severing his thumb. After having it grafted back on it was all hard & calloused. There are easier ways I think............
    Speed breaks are ace, I love 360 jumping reverse turning kick.

16. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Hey Mark welcme to the forum!

Arbroath Scotland eh? Which association are you with?

17. Mark Davies

Hi Tosh, thanks for the welcome. I'm with UKTF. I started with UKTA back in 1984, but moved with my instructors when UKTF was formed (they were amongst the founding members). You?

18. craigwarren

craigwarren Valued Member

Hey mark, im kinda in the opposite situation from you, im in the UKTA now but up until i went to uni i was in the UKTF (6 months or so). Have you noticed any major differences, i can't say i really have aside from the fact that when i was at the UKTF gradings where more of a club thing, the club always had its own gradings when an international instructor would come along (perhaps master sutherland) and the only people who where graded where club members.

Now im at the UKTA i've been to 1 grading and there are more planned, but its quite interesting that these gradings are MUCH bigger things, large groups from many different clubs grade at the same time, this may be because our gradings are with a grand master or it may be a UKTA thing, have you noticed any differences?

19. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Irginally BITF back in the day when M. Hutchinson was in charge. Then got caught in many political arguments and associations. Now keep my nose out of it an enjoy BB seminars with GM Rhee.

Did I hear correctly that Master H has moved out to Canada?

20. Mark Davies

Hi Tosh

Master H moved to canada? Not that I've heard. I know that John McKissock (4th Degree from edinburger) is moving to spain to instruct, & Darren Anderson (4th degree from englandshire) is taking over some organisation in south africa, but I've nae heard anything about Master H.
    I know what your saying about politics, I've learned to keep my nose well out of that slamming door. I'm not bothered what association anyone is in, we're all in the Martial Arts together & can all learn from each other.