Demonstration for an MA designed specificaly for people with dissabilities:)

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Joshua Powell, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Joshua Powell

Joshua Powell A white knight

Hey all:) I have been attending a MA class mixxed of Karate and Jujitsu for several weeks now, and my first demonstration with the class will be July 22nd at Sloans Lake in Denver Colorado:) If you live in Denver, or the surrounding areas and would like to come see it will start at 12:30 PM. That's all the information I have now, but I will get more next week:) I am really looking forward to this:) The MA program by the way is called Red Dragon society. Hope to meet some of you there:)

2. Joshua Powell

The demonstration is in less then 3 days:)

3. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Um, how can you have a Martial Art designed specifically for disabled people? There are all kinds of disabilities, ranging from mental to physical. What kind of disability does this art cater for?

4. Battle Sword

Battle Sword Valued Member

demonstration for an MA designed....

Good question! :Angel:

5. Joshua Powell

It is just as i've said. This martial art "program" is made for everybody that has dissabilities. Completely modified versions of Karate and Jujitsu;)
    http://www.mountaintiger.org

6. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Well, the website says Karate and Judo, but that's really here nor there.
    I still dont understand how a Martial Art can be modified to suit all disabled people. The field is just too varied. From people in wheel chairs, to people with mental problems. In what ways has each art been modified to suit these people?

7. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Though your demo is not in my area sir I hoping that you have a great turn out! Please, let us know how it goes. If you could share some vids or a syllabus I would love to show it to my master. Kinda "spreading the word" if you like! Have a great time!

8. Joshua Powell

I don't know what your looking for, so don't know what to say. I gave you the best explanation I can give...sorry if it's not enough.

9. Joshua Powell

I will have a great time:) And if there is anything that I can bring to show you I will:)

10. Joshua Powell

It's the day:)

11. Joshua Powell

It was great:)...unfortunately the demonstration is only once a year, so I hope they have smaller ones as well.

12. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Good Job sir! Hope that you get your wish!

13. prowla

prowla Valued Member

The web site says "Therapeutic Martial Arts for the Developmentally Disabled", and the pictures show people without apparent physical disabilities (ie. standing up with all four limbs present and correct).
    I don't think the web site says or implies all disabilities, and like you would question how you could specifically develop an art for all disabled people. (By implication it could not be specific.)
    But that said, I would not like to give the impression that I am knocking it!
    It looks like a good thing to me - coordination, smiling faces, and so-on.
    Good luck with it.

14. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

This is the guy who claimed its for everybody with disabilities. So I asked a simple question.

15. Joshua Powell

I know it was a simple question...I tried to give you the best answer that I could. The reason why I say it is for people with all types of dissabilities is because my dissability is not mental, it's physical.

16. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

I can understand that, but I'm just asking, (i don't want to offend anyone with this example) how can a martial art that has been adapted so it's useful for someone with MS, apply to someone who has lost their legs?

I don't see how it can be for all disabilities, since the range of disabilities is huge.

17. Joshua Powell

I don't think it's offending first of all. But the way that you can modifie it for a person that has lost the use of his legs, is to particularly work on the upper body. Like my friend and brother Clay Johnson who is also a member of MAP:)

18. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I guess the important thing is that you're saying "you can modify it", which implies it hasn't been "designed specificaly for people with disabilities". Unless it's been designed to be modified for each case, in which case it's hardly specific.
    So I guess we're commenting on the semantics of the wording.

On top of that, you said that it is "for everybody that has disabilities", but evidently that cannot be true because you could not use it for a paraplegic or somebody who is so obese they are bed-ridden to pick out a couple of forinstances. No matter how much we would like to help them, I severely doubt that a karate/jujitsu based MA has anything to offer.

For sure is sounds like a good, positive thing :), but I think perhaps a bit more care should be taken with the wordings.

(Now what I need is an MA specifically designed for overweight forty-somethings who drink too much beer and ache all over! :) )

19. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Might I suggest Pint-Fu? :D

20. Joshua Powell

For sure is sounds like a good, positive thing :), but I think perhaps a bit more care should be taken with the wordings.

Sorry...One of the problems that I do have is trying to find the right words for something...i've actually been getting frustrated because you guys kept asking questions to the nature of this thread...and I tried to come up with the right words to describe it, but I couldn't. I'm sorry I got frustrated. I am working with finding the right words.