defending yourself / running away

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Solomon, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

*ahem*

my philosphy of self-defense

AVOID FIGHTING IF POSSIBLE. IT'S POINTLESS. GOING CLUBBING, HITTING ON GIRLS, OR WATCHING A MOVIE ARE ALL BETTER OPTIONS.

ONLY use your training as a last resort. If you MUST use it, use whatever you know to end it as quickly as possible with minimal damage on either side (knocking the aggresor out is a good idea tho).

2. GCS15

GCS15 New Member

Guns

If they have a gun do what they say.

Some of you are giving such bad advice you should be ashamed. Making assumptions on other peoples skills is very bad. If you have ever seen the results of a gunshot wound you'd be advising differently. Got a gun and want my wallet? It's yours

I call for the forum moderators to censure any advice regarding disarming firearms. This is such a dangerous area. If a fully trained, gung-ho, battle tested SAS to the core soldier can get wounded in a knife fight against an untrained thug a "I am Bruce Lee reincarnated" stands a good chance of being the next person I pick up in my ambulance. Let me tell you the survival rate is POOR.

Moderators - if you want to censure me on this go ahead. Guns are BAD news. No macho BS please relating to weapons which equate to making the baddies choose between shoot / don't shoot or threaten / potentially kill.

Just my opinion and my experience. Hey I'm getting better at firearm injuries so your chances may improve but then again why take the chance? Your injuries may exceed the skill of the most experienced A&E team but what the hell. Have fun

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  3. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

I wouldn't go that far...

4. GCS15

GCS15 New Member

Not doubting your ability to handle yourself but would you accept full responsibility for someone taking action regarding advice in this thread? I know that I wouldn't like to. " Your honour I'm not GCS15 and I would NEVER advise people to take on an armed assailaint. I can't be responsible for 15 year old Johnny's actions acting on that advice"

I read a quote regarding firearms. Can't recall from where but it goes a little like "when talking about guns small men talk loudly and the big men shut up". It's a nice equaliser that strips you of all your training and brings you down to being made of flesh and bone where basic anatomy and physiology rule "air goes in and out and blood goes round and round. Anything else is a bad thing" pretty much sums it up.

I am no IT expert but I am sure a well financed mother or father could hire a forensic IT expert to determine the real person behind a user name. Hey they did it for MP3's so why not for the person who advised their child to fight a person armed with a knife?

My opinion

5. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

I'm saying that theft is not the only reason a person will point a gun at you or thrust a knife at you. If their only reason is to kill you, you're dead anyway, so if the option of running away is unavailable (e.g. cornered, open field with the other guy being a better shot than Golgo 13), then wouldn't you rather take the slim chance of survival than just stand there and, with a red felt pen, draw crosshairs on your forehead?

note: this advice is only for when escape is no longer an option

Now for the censureship...

Advice is just that, advice, now although I might not agree with how a couple of people would go about the situation on this thread, advice, unlike orders or command, has the option of you not taking it. One's opinions, no matter how much you disagree with it, should not be censured (except for those that were specifically mentioned in the Terms of Service), because let's face it, Martial Arts instructors will teach you disarm moves at some point, so it's undestandable for their students who are on MAP to relay the information.

My opinion.

6. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

I presume this is all trolling, but just in case any-one would take any of this advice;

If the police bring you in for anything, ever (even making too much noise at night or urinating in public on the way home from the pub, i.e.you don't have to be a hardened criminal to see the inside of a police station), they will ask you to turn out your pockets. It's illegal in most places (certaintly the UK) to carry a concealed weapon like that. If you ever use it on someone you're totally screwed. Attacking with a knife inherently risks killing the opponent - I assume most MAPers would have a problem with that. If you had a bright career planned, it might be scrapped now.

This has to be a joke.

Interesting??? Something tells me you've never taken a good headbutt to the face before.

Good, depending on the ammunition type and the gun caliber etc. somebodies body will most likely make a very inadequate shield. If somebody is shooting off a gun (especially if it's not particularily aimed at you) then you run, keeping low, zig zagging, and get around a corner or if you have to, take refuge behind the wheel of a truck/car before getting out of there. People who are experts in guns and situations involving them all say that running and taking the actions outlined above will be of most help.

Than his trigger finger?? He/she will probably stay out of your effective range anyway. Do whatever you percieve to be the least dangerous thing. If they want your wallet, give it to them. If they just want to kill you, and you think you're so close to them that running away would be more dangerous than attempting to disarm - then go for the disarm.

Congratulations. I wonder how many of those fights you could have avoided or actually actively encouraged?

I presume you want to fight to abolish racism?

Alot of people read these posts, many of whom you don't know. Someday they might end up in a sticky situation and recall advice given on forums like this. It's just a case of being responsible in your advice.
    Being macho is not a good goal for a martial artist to have. I'm glad to see so many people reply with a simple 'run away' because it really cannot be overstated enough. People always say stuff like 'Well what if I'm cornered and there's a tiger on either side of me and Linford Christie is trying to attack me with a knife. I can't run away then, can I?' Maybe not, but realistically running will be the best option in almost all scenarios (or maybe a fluster of parrying movements followed by running :) ). Going around trying to come up with new and more extravagent scenarios where you absoloutely have to use your MA skills shows that you're thinking aggressively, and that thinking isn't good for stopping fights it's good for breeding them. Actually carrying a knife on you is worse.

run

7. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

I know I'll get a moan about this one, so I'll just put what I feel to be true lol,

Right then firstly, I've always been taught from day one not to engage in any fight outside the class structure.

If I had to defend myself and I knew the person then I might just go against what I'd been taught if it ever happens (where's an evil smiley when you need it lol ). I would first make sure they had the warnings they deserve and let them know that I wouldn't be going down without a fight and I'd make sure they would come off worst.
    I do have respect for all of my past teachers and always will but they all know that you can only be pushed so far before you fight back.

I know that self control has a lot to do with it but when your in the situation then sometimes all you have learnt in the classes goes through the window and you just go in like the rest.
    (sorry)
    lisa xx

8. GCS15

GCS15 New Member

Surgingshark - Good Points. Difficult to disagree with them. Thanks