Defence lab misconceptions

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Whit, Oct 9, 2016.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

If memory serves you are not far from Mitch and I know that he teaches both family friendly TKD and high quality self defence. He was also using a particular type of armour before DL caught onto it and asked them to make it in their green. :)

2. Whit

Whit Valued Member

They are small local gyms i wont name for obvious reasons, one of them is decent, one is less so. They both advertise as "MMA" gyms, i've seen them teaching BJJ and elements of Muay Thai. I say questionable, while there are some good nice guys that go there, i would say a good amount of them are steroid heads, its that kind of gym. I have a friend who's into mma and wanted to go try it out and when he was training they thought it was funny to keep leg sweeping him from behind he never went back after that.

Funnily enough we actually went down to the decent one and did sort of a knowledge swap day, from what i could get from them they were very interested but the offput was that the cost of what they do now is included in their gym membership.
    There used to be a Judo school i don't know if it's still running.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Bearing in mind I have a generally low opinion of TKD I would train with Mitch in a heartbeat.

4. Whit

Whit Valued Member

I've never actually used that particular armour, its currently too expensive for me to pick up.

5. Ben Gash CLF

If they're not providing you with armour could you please describe your sparring to us (video would be even better)

6. Whit

Whit Valued Member

Described previously in the thread, I can film something either thursday or sunday.

To be honest the larger classes probably do already have that, Im annoyed that they dont buy it for their instructors.

7. Whit

Whit Valued Member

Where is Mitch based?

8. Ben Gash CLF

Southwell

9. Ben Gash CLF

If you mean post #6 it doesn't tell us much. What protective equipment do you use, what level of contact, how do you address clinching and ground etc?
    Video would be nice, thank you.

10. John Titchen

Realistically an organisation has to be huge to have the overheads to just give out Spartan suits to their instructors. I'm not a big fan of one suited person v unsuited person(s) as a training method in any case. I have 10 Spartan or equivalent that I use in courses and I believe Mitch has 5.

11. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  12. Whit

Whit Valued Member

A good question is why has he cut the thumb off of what is supposed to be a sealed suit.

13. John Titchen

Texting.

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That's a seven-a-side game of Ultimate Football Fighting Championship (TM).

15. Whit

Whit Valued Member

So ordinary National league football?

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Is that Australian football? They're crazy.

17. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

[​IMG]

18. Whit

Whit Valued Member

Nah its one of the lower down leagues of Uk football.

"The giants of Charlton play host to the titans of Ipswich, making them both seem normal sized."

19. Whit

Whit Valued Member

I should have also probably have mentioned what i've been doing.

Last year (I started late last year)
    Learn the frames from standing and how to punch and still stay covered
    Learn to use the frame in the 4 man box (4 people on each compass point) and get punches off from called directions and to get out under pressure
    Quarter and half turns while keeping covered
    Use of punches to close distance
    Learning to go from standing to kneeling to sitting to lying down while keeping covered
    Climbing/ climbing from a received kick, this is what i meant by a climb
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0sApBfWW1o"]Self Defence- How To Get Up Off the Floor Quickly - YouTube[/ame]
    basic cinche work and a throw
    2 - 1 work with an attacker and a wingman that comes from either the side or behinds
    1 - 1 and 2 -1 wall work staying covered and how to get off the wall and away
    This year so far

All frame drills i did last year but emphasised from kneeling
    Escape from a side mount
    More cinch work
    Now covering kicks ie taking a roundhouse leg kick / giving one and using that as an enter to close distance.

I've not covered everything but thats what i remember off the top of my head

20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Looks like getting your guard passed on purpose by baiting a head kick, transitioning to a bad low single leg, to bad standard single and then transfering to a bad double leg, and then transferring to a standing clinch instead.

If you climb them and they fall on you, you now have someone ontop of you, not a great plan vs 1 and especially vs multiples.

This is my plan - make distance and get up -

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thp7ipnjyTI"]BJJ Self Defense Lesson 4: The Technical Standup - YouTube[/ame]