defence against MT kicks

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by prfighter, Sep 7, 2007.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yet again... you've failed to realize that any disagreement with your stance on what you theorize might work against an MT kick isn't a personal attack on you. :rolleyes:

Man a basic understanding of how arguments work would really improve your chances of convincing anyone of anything here at MAP.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Are you sure you're almost 33?
    Calling a clip daft and pointing out that a video is compliant is pretty easy going , get a thicker skin already.

3. slipthejab

BWHAHAHAA!!!!

'He called my video daft!! Wah Wah Wah!!!!'

4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I tried that very technique in a British title match i had MANY years ago,i got the jump several times but just couldnt time the kick,if i had i think it would of been lights out for my opponent! unfortunattly i got beat over the 5 rounds on points :)

5. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

I didn't like your tone, and it wasn't just you dismissing the clip, it's a bit of frustration on my part that instead of being mature yourself, and saying something along the lines of, "Vunak is a great instructor, we have to take what he teaches seriously, but I think this technique won't work under pressure, it's a low percentage move. Maybe if you practiced it for years you could get it to work, but there are no quick fixes. Interesting option though..."

Instead, stomping on an idea before it's even given a chance is NOT appreciated and not good for anyone.

6. slipthejab

lol... we haven't worshipped Vunak and you're upset by that. :D

7. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Actualy it was more i found it amusing that somone who constantly harps on about aliveness and attacking percieved larping would post such a compliant clip.

8. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Well, I didn't have a choice. I can't find more alive clips.

But I've experienced this technique in alive sparring (not like what was shown on the clip) when my training partner reflexively knee checked me and sent me into agony.

I guess that's why I advocate it. I've had it pulled on me alive.

9. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Oh yes it hurts when you catch a knee like that to the shin or inside area of the shin,but imho like much of what ive seen of Vunaks stuff it is a low percentage movement :)

10. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Perhaps destructions in general are low-percentage, including knee checks. He really hypes them up on his material. I think he has a logical framework, though, and there's not a low percentage in the heart of his system: Straightblast, headbutts, knees, and elbows.

11. slipthejab

Not that the heart of his system has anything to do with this thread. :rolleyes:

12. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Well as far as im aware Mr Vunak doesnt teach defence and counters to the knee and elbow attacks he uses,not doing that limits the training of your students as you cant play a game of attack/defence/counter to develop a well rounded skill,perhaps im mistaken and he does teach defence to the knee and elbow?(the head butt/blast has no relevance to this thread) :)

13. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

There aren't counters to the knee check or counters once the opponent is in close after a straight blast and hammers your face with elbows. Instead, you learn to only throw hard kicks when the opponent is not expecting them so that he/she can't check you, or to control the distance so your opponent can't elbow you, etc.

You can spar that way, and he advocates this: one attacker (he calls it the "feeder") throws the strikes, the other guy defends. Sometimes the feeder gets a jab or kick in, other times, his attacks are destroyed. Then you switch.

14. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I understand his mentality but i dont buy in to it Flashlock, my prefered method is to a)teach and train a attack then,
    b) teach and train the defence and counter to the attack,then,c)
    isolate drill spar,
    and d) integrate the technique into sparring with other atacks etc included,if there is a problem ie checking the kick isnt coming of in sparring then isolate again and so on,just my way :) .

Ive probably taken the thread of topic sorry guys,its just im not a vunak fan,from the first time i seen him in the early 80s till now. :)

15. Effejy

Effejy Valued Member

Flash, u seem like a fair fan and supporter of vunaks, and seeing that ur profile says ur in melb, u wldnt happen 2 b training with this mob wld u?
    http://www.jkdacademy.com.au/

just curious.

Soz if i've taken the thread off topic

16. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Fair enough. No offence, but who are you? I'd just like to compare your MA CV with his...

17. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

I can't afford him! But my training partner was his student. He has some good clips on youtube now.

18. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Non taken :)

Im just a regular Muay Thai coach Flashlock,ive spent 35 years in Martial arts,most of them teaching and training full time,25 years in Muay Thai,studied more than 2.5 years(total) in Thailand with imho some very good coaches,and definatley with some very good(famous) fighters,(none of whom use Mr Vunaks knee check).

I was British champion for a short while a long time ago so i can say ive been there and done that,ive also produced several british champions and take lads to Thailand to compete.

Im also a instructor of Harimau Pentjak Silat,(training 19 years).

I first trained with Dan Inosanto on his british Seminars around 1982/3, and studied with a top UK JKD/KALI instructor Bob Breen.

Paul Vunak,Cass Magda,chris Kent etc were not(as far as im aware) active instructors at that time.

Sorry to go on a bit but you did ask!. :)

19. slipthejab

To gain insight into Flashlocks attitudes I think my signature pretty much says it all.
    :D

20. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Sadly i think your right Slip,a long time ago a western boxing coach asked me a question...."what is the main thing for a fighter?"

while i thought about it he told me the answer "attitude" he said attitude makes the difference,
    perhaps Flash needs to check his to learn the many lessons to be learnt from guys on this forum :)