Defence against Drugs & Alcohol

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by KickChick, Nov 6, 2003.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Alcohol and drugs are usually involved in most sexual assaults – usually on both sides of the equation....(about 64% of criminals arrested are under the influence of alcohol or drugs)

How you would handle an attacker whose been drinking or taking drugs?

How you are going to defend yourself if you are drunk?

Many of your MA/SD techniques (eye gouge, kick to knee/groin...etc) designed to hurt probably won't because the drugs in his system are inhibiting pain responses.

So what do you do?

2. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

Break something, dislocate something. Preferable the knee to take away their abilit to move, not nice or pretty but the only chance of stopping people high on something. the eye gouge may work due to the tear response of a damaged eye, blur his vision enough to allow you to escape.

I had to arrest someone who was off the planet once, who wanted to fight. I hit him with about 15 knees to the thigh and groin, he never even blinked. Same when i cs'd him had no effect at all. Went to a grapple and with the help of a large rugby playing colleague we managed to cuff him after a 10 minute struggle.

3. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

My best thing would be to choke the guy out or punch him out.
    Painful moves wouldn't work so why try?

4. Floorismyfriend

Floorismyfriend New Member

I say give him more drugs and alcohol until he is too stoned to stand up. Then very quickly go for RNC. After which you call him a cab and send him home.

5. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

hmmm, that is a tough one. I was watching the news and this guy who was stoned on PCP took 8 shots at close range and still kept goin until a cop got in a head shot. Then you hear little scrawny guys snapping handcuffs as if they were kids toys.

...how do you stop someone like that? that actually bothers me since there are so many drugs around here. if I get into a brawl with some guy and beat him till both my hands are broke and he doesn't even blink, what then? I guess I could always bite him

6. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Even bad guys need major bones, consciousness and breath to fight so depriving them of these essentials is one (three!) way to go. Whatever else is true, these are the bottom line.

The only drug I know which saves you from all sensations of pain is morphine. Everything else is less frightening than is often hyped. Correct me if I'm wrong (I've never done PCP) but isn't someone on PCP a shaking wreck who will only wreak havoc when ppl get physical with him/her? A last note on PCP "angel dust", have you considered where that strength comes from..?

With most states of inebria (except awe-inspiring hallucinations), you can break ribs, nose, fingers, toes and maybe even limbs without noticing until after the comedown. Collar bones, sternum, spine and god leg breaks would all be effective immediately.

Gross strikes to big targets like thighs and upper arms won't register though they will leave bruises. I've tested infilicting pain to volunteers in various states of otherness and don't see the problem. Knuckles to temples and behind the ear, throat, collar, ribs. Claws to "funny bones", armpits, back of neck. Disorientation caused by simultaneous strikes to opposite sides eg a double slap to both ears at once as if clapping. There's stuff lower down, too, but you don't want to be there and the knee is often to big a weapon to score effectively.

What do I do when I'm too drunk? Occasionally, I find myself drunk to the point where my coordination and awareness is woefully inadequate for coping with any trouble. My answer to that is to kick myself for being a fool and worry a lot until I get home. Avoid fresh air, if you can ;)

Rgds,
    David

7. Floorismyfriend

I never had to defend myself while drunk before but I heard BJJ is the most effective art due to the fact that blurred or double vision doesnt greatly effect you while your on the ground. There are exercises in BJJ where you put on a blind fold and you try to defend yourself on guard. Other martial arts are too dependant on sight to be effective as a self defense.

8. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Its not just blurred or double vision, alcohol effects your most basic functions, like speech and motor function. From what I know of BJJ (which is little I admit) its a highly technicial art, which may be hard to pull off when drunk.

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

One other thing I'd like to bring up in this thread is what should a woman do if she fins herself under the influence of a date rape drug (Rohypnol) which is basically a tranquilizer similar to valium. which produces a sedative effect, amnesia, muscle relaxation, and a slowing of motor responses.

Women say they feel the effects of taking this within 20-30 minutes after it’s been and the effects last for several hours.

First of all, women must to watch their drinks when at a bar, do not accept drinks from strangers,or drink from punch bowls at a high school / college frat party.

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

There aren't rude enough words to describe people who'd try and 'date rape' somebody. Sod prison, I vote we punish them by getting 6 of the biggest guys in their wing do to the same to them.

11. Cain

Cain New Member

Choke them, they'll simply go to sleep!!!!! ;)

|Cain|

12. Anne

Anne New Member

It's one thing to groundfight without sight, I imagine it's quite another to ground fight under the influence of whatever it may be. I suppose one could say that if you've practised extensively then you don't need to think about it, but the lack of coordination would make it very difficult.

13. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

if you find yourself feeling dizzy and drowsy in a club/bar and haven't consumed enough alchohol for it to be prominent DON'T LEAVE THE PUBLIC AREA, especially not with anyone you just met or don't really know that well. You can always ask the bartender to call you a cab, and they will. Then ask the cab driver to make sure you get in your house ok.

Other then that I can't think of anything else to help.

14. Floorismyfriend

True it is a highly technical art but it would probably do alot better than most striking martial arts. You could be drunk out of your mind but you can still start your car and drive slowly which is alot like bjj. BJJ doesnt really rely on sight or reflexes which are both greatly affected by alcohol. When I am drunk i always remember where i live or what my name is or how to apply a heel hook if necessary.

15. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

ALL arts rely on relflex to some extent.

By the way, do you know how many people get seriously hurt driving drunk? Its probably not as high as the number of people who think they can fight properly when drunk, but doing either while under the influence will still get you in some serious trouble. You think you know how to do it, but you don't, and someone (usually you) gets hurt.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2003
  16. Floorismyfriend

Dont get me wrong I myself have never driven drunk or suggest anyone else should. I am just stating that I I have come into contact with people who have driven having consumed 5 shots of vodka and made it home without incident. Although I am sure if they continue they will not live past 20. The act of driving wwhile intoxicated I would imagine would take alot more concentration than fighting in guard. Since your already on the ground you dont have to worry about losing your balance from doing a roundhouse kick or spinning backfists which by the way are very difficult to do while being drunk out of your buttox.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2003