defeating the ego.....a rant

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by royalrd, Dec 13, 2009.

1. royalrd

royalrd New Member

Hi Mar...Dudelove, I did start writing a response to ap owen before christmas, but was overcome by a wave of apathy at the prospect of continuing such a back and forth for the sake of it(no offence owen, I'm sure you know what I mean).

As far as my experiences go, well, I think we've a great deal in common. I've actually come into contact with several of SD's ex-students over the years, none of which hold him in high regard, he certainly has an interesting method of teaching. If you want some detail about me or a chat then feel free to PM me.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Ego must be avoided in martial arts. I have actually met some people who think they are as good as ME!!!

3. old palden

old palden Valued Member

Thread winner!!!!!

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

None taken. None to be had really. I wasn't even addressing this specific situation, which does indeed sound whacky. I was only addressing the overall idea that any mention of eliminating the ego meant "cult." In other words, there are spiritually legitimate examples discussing eliminating the ego which shouldn't be painted with the same brush as a bunch of small-minded, manipulative clowns. That's all.

Stuart

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

But do they have a pony tail?

6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Fish has and it is longer than mine. I must have a word with him.

If you have stopped learning,no matter how long you have been training,it is time to drop the ego.

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Well we all have ego's they just vary in how we show them. I personally used to spout off at the mouth way too much (still do at times). Nowadays I keep my opinions to myself and love to listen in on others who may be having a firey conversation. I tell the girl I date, don't ask me a question unless you're really sure you want to hear the answer, you may not like it.....I got tired of being PC a long time ago....

8. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Exactly the same here.

I refuse to say stuff I don't mean just to be socially appropriate.

9. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Consider where personality attributes come from... they come from things we've absorbed... like attitudes about certain issues... they come from experiences which have happened to us... our personality is a combination of influences and our genetic makeup... which really is more or less simply a gift bestowed upon us by our parents (our body being that gift)...

It's absurd to think you can destroy your ego. The trick is trancending your ego. It means seeing the world on a deeper level than the average idiot... seeing a bit of yourself in everything... or seeing everything as a bit of an extention of yourself.

The ego can be a bit of a pain, and should be restrained from time to time. Mindful awareness is good for us. So is meditation.

All things in moderation, of course. Thus... a middle path is best.

10. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

The way I see it, ego isn't a problem. Ego is essentially our self image, and can be a powerful motivator to excel. Suggesting that we suppress our egos is counterproductive.

The problem is when the ego is out of proportion to reality. My goal isn't to be flawless or without fault. It's to be aware of my flaws and have a realistic self image, both in terms of what I do well and where I fall short. In other words, my goal is to have as small a blind spot as possible. Some people have very large blind spots, and that's a big problem whether it's in martial arts, business or in one's personal life.

11. Kwajman

Like a fat girl in a crop top thinking she's hot eh?

Or any guy over 25 in a speedo swimsuit?

12. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Not exactly. I'll say maybe. It's less to do with actions and more to do with self awareness. Does the fat girl know and understand how she looks to others? If so, it's not a blind spot.

As a more accurate and relevant example, how about a 45 year old aikidoka who's trained for 25 years, but never sparred. He can execute techniques with precision and skill and may have a tremendous amount of confidence in his abilities, but ultimately, because these skills have never been tested in a spontaneous, unchoreographed manner, there is no functional, rational basis for his confidence.

Or the guy in an office who is continuously causing problems for other people, but has absolutely no idea that he leaves a negative, emotional wake behind him everywhere he goes. He's the guy who complains loudly to others about things that he himself is guilty of doing. Every office has someone like this. Michael Scott on The Office is the gross caricature of this person.

13. Crane Strike

Crane Strike New Member

I think it is important for martial artists to have a good role model, usually an imagined person with lots of great qualities and drive. The mythical Bruce Lee is a good one for me. If you believe in perfecting yourself and are constantly exposing flaws while developing the empathy to see where other people are coming from, the ego will be naturally diminished.

Ego is different that character and drive, in my opinion.

14. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

You don't think that Bruce Lee was driven by a large ego? I guess we'll have to disagree. I would suggest that the key to Bruce Lee's success was that his ego was in proportion to his ability, both large.

15. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

the ego is the self. Unless you're an arhat, good luck with that.

16. neil bailey

neil bailey Banned Banned

For all of those trying to make pernicious inferences at my friend and brother Simon Das, I suggest you all wind your necks in, because you're severely showing yourselves up. These type of comments have no place in our society and it's chemically inbalanced individuals like this that further exacerbate all of the problems that the good people of the world are trying so hard to defeat.... You claim to be martial artists and yet are lambasting a man of wisdom and true beauty, a man that you all know very little about and a human being that I've been so blessed to meet. I can not sing Simon's praises enough and those that are making these unfounded accussations possess real affirmations of insecurities, so please stop projecting them upon others and purify your own hearts and egocentric minds. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones! I'm far from complete as a human being and one still have many short comings, but that's what makes me human. All Simon has ever tried to do for people is to liberate their hearts, souls and minds and free them from the ties that bind them and for this many of you ridicule him. How ignorant can you be? This is a man of humbleness but a man of greatness at the same time. I see a great deal of Djinn activity in these forums, but for all of your attacks on my dear brother you will never weaken his heart or soul, for they are not your's to dilute. Let me share this with you also, an affront to him is affront to God and affront to yourselves also. These type of puerile jibes are better placed in a playground. You're all entitled to your opinions, but in time you shall see that the words contained herewithin are true. All things shall come to pass.... This may sound like a convaluted diatribe, but those making these defaming reamarks let their own true colours shine through....

US Marshall and Dude Love are only here to lambast my friend with pejorative undertones and verbose rhetoric. I suggest that you contextualise your words better because from what I have read so far it is a complete inverted pyramid of piffle! If you have any backbone or gumption whatsoever, then you would air these hostile views in public with simon and his true friends. I can assure you he has many..... But like little bambinos you sit behind a computer screen shouting obscenities and trying to demean such a lovely human being. All one can say is that Mr. Das came into my life and changed it for the better, he instilled love, compassion and beauty in a heart that had been led astray. He showed me the path and always gave me the choice on whether to accept it or not and for this one shall be forever indebted. Many in this forum are cerebrally challenged and I would suggest engaging your minds before you next try to read/write/speak, it would make a refreshing change. So much hostility towards one man suggests to me that you feel challenged by him, his work and his presence. We are all one consciousness experiencing life subjectively but if we all adopt this type of parochial vision and continually put up barriers then how the hell do we ever expect to learn from others? There is no place for this mentally regressive attitude, wake up people before it's too late.

Peace

17. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

......yeah people shouldn't make fun. Yall settle down....!

18. Kwajman

WHats the old saying? If you can do it its not bragging.....

19. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

It doesn't sound like a convoluted diatribe it IS a convoluted diatribe. If commenting on the dubious teachings of a martial arts instructor is an 'affront to God' I strongly suggest that you might want to seek out a better God.

In terms of verbose rhetoric I am afraid you win the thread hands down. Using big words does not make the content of a post intelligent or well argued. The fact that you have had a positive experience with the man in question is great for you but it does not mean that therefore he must be the great man you believe him to be. Maybe you are easily swayed? Or maybe he was just nice to you and not nice to the other guys? As per your theories about hostility, I suppose they could be correct but then isn't it also possible that he invokes such hostility because well, if the accounts are accurate, he is a bit of an eejit.

The fact that one of his students came on here and threatened posters and that you are now on talking about Djinn activity also makes me inclined to believe that his instruction isn't really that beneficial, at least to people's online personalities.

20. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

"Let me share this with you also, an affront to him is affront to God and affront to yourselves also. "

I'll have to check w/God on that one.I'll get back to you.

Actually,thanks for letting us know what's an affront to God.Glad you're in such close communication with him to know that.

Oh.....which god?

"This may sound like a convaluted diatribe, but those making these defaming reamarks let their own true colours shine through.... "

As do you.

"Many in this forum are cerebrally challenged ..."

That's why you joined,right?To feel at home?With the chemically unbalanced.

We've seen you before.The individual who comes on to defend their holy man/teacher w/more bilous accusations than those leveled at said teacher.

So after dissing MAP members w/accusations of everything as well as the presence of djinn activity-(I suppose it could be worse,the Shining One himself could have dropped by)-you end your run on rant w/the word "peace"?

Right.Hardly sounds like that's where you're at.And I'm pretty sure a reasoned debate is out of the question for you.You'd rather spew.

Last edited: May 27, 2010