Dangers of elbows?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Topher, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Topher

Topher allo!

What are the dangers of using an elbow strike to the head in self-defense? I’m not the strongest person but even I can hit pretty hard with an elbow. They are easy to perform and effective, which does make them useful, but the last thing I want to do is severely injure, [or even kill someone]. It has to be a real dangerous situation in order to justify that action.

Is there real danger in using them?

2. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

You can severely injure or maybe even kill someone with an elbow,but remember this is a self defence situation so do you really care what happen's to them,they are trying to steal your stuff or harm you,why should it be a problem what happens to them.

I wouldn't be worried at all

3. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Good post Twist. Remember that in a real self defense situation you can't afford to mamby pamby somebody. They're coming at you with intent to hurt or kill. You need to put them down quickly and definiatively.

Yes elbows can do a lot of damage. Kill? No more than other techniques. Really, killing someone is more a function of situational luck (or lack there of) than anything else (provided that you're not stomping the person into next week).

- Matt

4. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

you hit the nail on the head with that, you can't afford to 'not kill or maim' the other person, i use elbows for specifically that reason. powerful and quick. they'll end the fight and if need be deliver a lethal blow. i.e.-throat or temple.

5. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Same as any strike to the head. All pretty much have the potential to seriously injure or kill.

To avoid the more serious damage learn to target below the cheek bone.

6. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

Thank You Matt. Also,you wont have much time to be upset and it's not like your in a ring fight,there are no rules on the street,they'd kill you,do what must be done to protect you or others,if an elbow is appropriate for the situation it should be used,your bound to break into sprint after they go down anyway,so you may never find out what happens to them.

7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I think elbows are a very useful short range attack, but if it's an attack to the head, you are likely to be leaving your ribs wide open for a strike if it's not covered.

8. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

"I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6"

My last instructor said as a woman I would have more strength using empi (elbow strike) than punching. I have to agree and have included this as an integral part of my training.

9. nunchukpaul

nunchukpaul Banned Banned

Although i wouldnt say an elbow strike is easy, if your in range to elbow them then chances are there in range to elbow you ;)

10. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

The same thing could be said of any strike. Yes, they would be in range, but your perogative is to plant that elbow up in their grill before they can do anything to you. Fast, and furiously.

11. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

I think you guys are missing one, pretty importent point (besides Mel).

The Law.

12. Melanie

Cheers Greg :D

13. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

I've used elbows before.... I don't know about the killing thing but they're definitely great at opening a wound (blood! so if it's a junkie just run away). Lots of moves are dangerous, use them in dangerous situations.

14. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Elbows cut people's faces more. They are more likely to brake teeth and jaws (than a punch) too.

About the death thing? If the guy falls and hits his head maybe...

15. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Yes! The danger of killing someone is mostly from them falling and hit their head. We just had a case of that here. You will be hard pressed to kill someone with a couple of elbow strikes. Elbows are indeed one of the best self-defense weapons. I tell all my students especially the females to mostly forget a closed fist punch and concentrate on palm heals and elbows.

16. Topher

Topher allo!

That's one of the points of my post. In the UK your likely to get sent down for protecting yourself.

I guess it just knowing when to use them and when not to. If it’s just a simple attempted street mugging, would it be worth it consequence? Saying that, if you don’t take the chance, you could be the one injured.

17. Melanie

Easy - don't assume anything - they MAY just want you're money - you'll know. But accidents can happen, if they are brandishing a knife and physically trying to remove the money off you you would treat it one way, if they were just trying to threaten you with their presence you would treat it another way.

Like I said before "I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6". This is all theoretical afterall. Who knows really what we would do until it happens? I would hope that I could either talk myself out of it or control and restrain, if not, I then would have to take it a step further and hope that I could outwit them...

18. Weasel

Weasel New Member

Plenty of people have survived multiple gunshot wounds. I wouldn't worry about your elbow being teh lethal.

You should not be putting yourself in situations where you are fighting over something so trivial that you are worried about your opponent's welfare- I can tell you right now that he isn't worried about yours.

Either fight only for life and limb or be prepared to kill for less.