*Cue Epic Trmpet Sounds*

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Seventh, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

So do you guys use resistance training? Or is it purely kata and then randori once you've reached a certain level or randori from the start?

2. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Our student gradually progress to Hikitategeiko, this is done by introducing them to tanto Taisabaki and how to structure a technique. We then move onto kakarigeiko fast light practice to build speed and fitness. The next stage is Hikitategeiko this stage is about applying technique on a non compliant opponent. Resistance training as you call it is not just about resistance. As good competitive Aikidoka should be able to blend with the opponents movement. Ideally the best way is set up your opponent with movement to either apply a physical kuzushi of a Psychological kuzushi by making him move in a way that is easy to apply a throw.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PCD669Mz4c&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]‪Nariyama tsukuri and more‬‏ - YouTube[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGR_6z_1xwE&feature=related"]‪Itsuo Haba randori class 1979‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

We have a similar concept in bjj in trying to blend your movements to the opponents resistance and direction of resistance.
    One thing I'd find interesting is to know whether you train like this for competition too?
    Or do you have two guys go at each other?

4. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Just learned Ikkyo!
    Quite like it, and I'm a fan of Ikkyo Ura (apologize if I get this wrong) where I:

• Move my grabbed wrist in a circular motion so my hand does a halfish circle upwards
    • Cup the uke's elbow, making sure to grasp firmly
    • Pushing the uke's elbow towards the him/her to unbalance, then bringing it down
    • Stepping behind the uke and pivoting around (kind of like doing Irimi Tenkan) bringing him/her to the ground
    • Pinning the arm and applying pressure if necessary.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7CkYOJ2tyo&feature=related"]‪Doshu Moriteru Ueshiba Ikkyo Ura‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Having fun in Aikido!!

5. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

You've learnt it already!?!?!

The "20 year technique" mastered in 2 weeks?!!

This guy is going places ;)

6. Seventh

Lol!
    Nah, I haven't masterd at all lol :)
    Still bump into mistakes, mostly involving me pivoting to fast before I actually unbalance him/her first. It's mostly timing and some details of the technique that I need major practice on.

Still though, I'm having a lot of fun!!

7. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Seventh..

Have some thought on the following concept;

Every tenkan begins with irimi ~ either physically or mentally. - What does this mean to you, even now at this formative stage of your learning ?

When you practice the various forms of ashi-waza (foot work) which is encompassed in the term taisabaki ..when one does "tenkan" where one simply pivots through your leading leg to make a 180 degree rotation, this action actually stifles a primary tenant of aikido which is, to always be on the move.

When you consider the strong weapons influence within aikido, standing on the same spot - even if your are moving in a rotational motion isn't advisable yet, so many aikido dojo teach it students, as defined methods, both an irimi-tenkan and a tenkan means of movement.

In relation to the above; also think about / research musubi - meaning 'connection' between you and your uke.

None of the above is style specific so regardless of what method of aikido you study, all of the above is relevant.

Regards

Dave

8. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Seventh, good to see a new motivated student!

I know you are motivated and excited to learn new these and achieve your belt gradings. This is a good attitude, but please do not put pressure on goals such as these. Simply focus on what you are doing, train as hard as possible, and let these things come to you as they do. Studying the martial arts is a lifelong process, I find it best to think of it in that way and make it a part of who you are.

An issue with disucssion on the internet about aikido is that you have to realize most of the people on here train with somewhat different approaches to technique. Asking how to do a certain variation of a technique is likely to entice a lot of varying opinions. Not saying this isn't a good thing, just saying be prepared to get answers that might not be condusive to what your sensei teaches.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you train in Canada?

be well, enjoy your training!

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Learning and understanding are two different things ;)

10. Seventh

@Mr. Humm

To be honest, I have no idea. So far to my knowledge "Irimi Tenkan" is a movement that is executed to evade, as well as to be utilized in techniques (though I apologize if this isn't correct). The only thing that really comes to mind is that for Tenkan (movement) to be committed, one must execute Irimi first, though I'm not sure what "Irimi" is separately.

I can kind of see what you mean, though I'm not entirely sure. When I stayed stuck on one foot pivoting and not moving, the uke's momentum unblalaced me sometimes. Instead, I should move with the uke and blend with his/her's momentum while simultaneously bring him/her to the ground to execute the technique but not unbalancing myself.

I don't completely understand, though I aim to gain the knowledge and understanding to better further my understanding and skill in Aikido. I thank you very very much for the words of wisdom, and I greatly appreciate it! It has got me thinking for sure (though it kind of hurts my head XD).

@Mr. Afhuss

I am interested in gradings but to be honest, I'm much more intrigued and determined to practice and develop an understanding of the techniques I know now as well as explore what Aikido has to offer then just gradings.
    Yeah, I've witnessed that, though as Mr Humm said, Aikido still shares the same basic principles and basics, regardless of style. To make a comparison, kind of like WTF and ITF Tae Kwon Do. There different, but they still have the same basic core principles and techniques which make them Tae Kwon Do.

Manitoba.

@Mr. Aikiwolfie

I am in complete agreement!

Thank you very much MAPers for the comments and help!!

11. Seventh

WEEKLY UPDATE:

Some stuff we went over during the week.

1. Rolling
      I practiced rolling both forwards and backwards from a kneeling position, as I am just starting. I'm not doing to badly and the senior students (Sensei is on vacation) are saying I'm coming along nicely. It's still obviously not perfect. I have a tendency on the front roll to do a flip instead of a roll. Other times I roll over my head (BAD) and end up sprawled across the mat. However, I'm getting better. I do end up bumping my shoulder a bit sometimes and make a bit of a thump. The senior students say that I'm not rounded enough and told me not to worry, as it will dome with time and practice. I do get dizzy after doing a lot of them though.

Being immature, when I'm doing to rolls, I feel like a ninja badass and have the urge to shout "Do a barrel roll"!

2. Posture
      We worked on posture a bit. We practiced moving forward with proper stance with a resistance band around us and a partner pulling back enough that there would be resistance. That way we could notice and unbalance in our steps. We also balanced on one leg and straightened our spine. We were supposed to be balanced and grounded on one leg so that we could move our other leg with little compromise in our balance. Finally, we stood in a regular standing position. Our partner would push with some force (not trying to tackle us or anything) and we would try to redirect the force down our spine into the opposite foot.

I did okay on most of them, though I'd be lying that I didn't screw up. I still have a lot to learn and practice.

The senior students said that you should be trying to do this in a real encounter or anything like that. It's not a technique. The focus of the exercise is to improve posture and balance so when doing techniques, we are more solid, won't be unbalanced, and won't be wasting power. It's more like a base to the basics.

3. Footwork
      We practiced some Irimi Tenkan. The senior instructors pointed out that I was lifting up my back leg to much and was shifting my leg to early. They said this was bad because someone could easily kick your leg and unbalance you, risking the chance of you falling over. They then kicked my leg lightly to show me, and right away I felt myself being unbalanced.

4. Some basic techniques
      We practiced Sumi Otoshi (if that is correct). We first get grabbed on the wrist, make a small step towards to outside of the Uke, pivot so we are facing the same direction as the Uke. The Uke comes around and then tries to punch you. You however do a Atemi (a slap to the face in this case) while also cutting your grabbed arm down and towards to Uke's point of unbalance. Learnednthat the Uke's legs are the two points of a triangle and that the third point is where the Uke is going to be unbalanced at. We then step forward after we feel the Uke being unbalanced from the Atemi and cutting motion and push down and forwards with both hands on the Uke's arm ending up with the Uke falling backwards onto his bum.

Now I was a little skeptical of this technique as I thought I could easily land a right hook when coming around. I asked politely if I could seriously punch at him (not trying to knock his teeth out but having the speed and intent of a serious punch). He said yes. We did the technique and when I came around I launched a hook.

I didn't even get close to his face. I threw that hook with intent. He just threw the Atemi, making me lean and rear back, setting me off balance. Combined with the downward cutting motion to my unbalancing point, I was quite close to landing hard on my bum. Had he gone faster with full force I would be with no doubt be lying on the ground hurt with a chance of a split head had this been on concrete.

I did it a couple of times and did okay. I have the obvious problem of going to fast before properly unbalancing the Uke, which I know is a big no-no in Aikido. My main problem is not cutting my arm down and towards to the Uke's point of unbalance.

I still have a lot to learn and to practice.

Overall, very very fun!! I'm enjoying Aikido fully and am now waiting painstakingly for the next lesson!!

12. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

Awesome sounds like your doing just fine and in good hands

13. Seventh

Thanks!! I'll keep updating you guys every 1-2 weeks on my little journey XD

14. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Seventh,

I only studied Aikido briefly from a friend, so I really cannot comment on the technicalities of the art. However, I would like to congratulate you on beginning your studies.

Also, since you've obviously taken notes so far based on your posts, may I suggest that you continue to take notes on what you do when you train. It may be handy to look up things later, and I suspect it would be interesting to reflect on what was covered when after you've trained for a while. There was another thread here titled "Trust the system" where someone commented about the order in which things are taught. If nothing else, you may learn to understand your sensei's teaching style.

There's usually an order to things, especially in arts with ranks. It standardizes the rank testing and allows the rank indicator (belt, sash, whatever...) to serve as an approximate indicator as to what the student can be expected to know.

Also, you may wish to look into the book "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere". I found it very useful while studying Aikido back in the 1990s and it is a wonderful (in my opinion, anyway) introduction to the philosophy and theory behind Aikido.

15. dentoiwamaryu

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  16. dentoiwamaryu

17. querist

Interesting. I will look into that a little more. I know some folks around here who study Aikido, so I'll talk with them.

I still don't see what's wrong with "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" from a technical standpoint, but I only studied for a couple of years, so I'm hardly an expert on the subject.

18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

It's basically the Ki Aikido Bible. Which automatically makes it evil. the spawn of Satan! :evil:

I saw a video of him once teaching people how to roll properly.

19. querist

Jimminy Freakin' Crickets... I guess I had best go to the Aikido section and find out what is so evil about Ki Aikido.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011
  20. dentoiwamaryu