*Cue Epic Trmpet Sounds*

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Seventh, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

If MA isnt for combat... is it stil an MA?
    All i know is that we did "americanas" (dont remember the judo term) in the NINJITSU class and the pressure point stuff works quite well to loosen peoples control when rolling. So i class it as jujutsu cos of the techniques in common, even the sensei did. Screw the Ninjas.
    As for Aikido
    - Killa_Gorillas what did you mean by restrictive and regimented?
    - does it have an excess of kata to learn like karate. i hated that when i was a kid. i like application and testing. Randori.
    - Have you ever tried Shodokan style Aikido? I if its different as Tomiki was a major influence on the Judo world. And the matches look quite similar to judo but with differing techniques.

2. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

The subject is far to broad to compact like that.

Define combat in the context of a martial system.
    • Sport fighting
    • Point sparing
    • Actual warfare
    • Historical transmission

3. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

How did this thread become an argument about ninjutsu and jujutsu?

Welcome to aikido, Seventh. I hope you have as much fun with it as I do.

4. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Thanks Matt. With the greatest and utmost respect, I don't really see how debating about jujitsu and ninjitsu or what the definition of combat in a martial system is related to my lack of Aikido knowledge.

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Hence im asking:
    For Aikido
    - Killa_Gorillas what did you mean by restrictive and regimented?
    - does it have an excess of kata to learn like karate. i hated that when i was a kid. i like application and testing. Randori.
    - Have you ever tried Shodokan style Aikido? Is it very different from regular aikido as Tomiki was a major influence on the Judo world. And the matches look quite similar to judo but with differing techniques.

6. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

Nice one Seventh. Keep us updated on how your training progresses

7. Seventh

Thanks. I have a lesson tonight, and I'll let you guys know how it goes!
    I love how MAP is so friendly :)

8. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

No one's arguing, you'll know when I'm arguing. :)

9. OwlMAtt

In the most literal sense, every technique in aikido is learned as a kata. But I assume you mean long sequences of moves performed alone; there are none of those in aikido, except sometimes with weapons. How much application you're going to learn depends on the style and the instructor. There's aikido that is effectively cooperative tai chi or yoga, there's aikido that could be mistaken for riot cop training, and there's everything in between.

Most styles of aikido I'm aware of spend a small minority of their time on freestyle/randori training, especially at low levels. Most aikido schools that I am aware of use a six kyu ranking system, which means testing happens much less often than in karate or taekwondo.

10. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

In Yoshinkan we have the kihon dosa, which are the 6 basic moves that form the foundations of every technique. These are essentially a kata and mostly performed solo, but there are partnered versions too.

we also have 10 kyu grades, I'd say the regularity of testing depends upon the school

11. Seventh

I suck at rolling forwards. Damn near crashed into my Sensei ;_;
    That, and sitting in Seiza (kneeling) is a tad uncomfortable, though I hope I get used to it. Also, coming from Tae Kwon Do, the Atemi we did felt weird, though I'm sure I'll get used to that too.

Besides that, yesterday's class was a blast! Can't believe I have to wait 4 days. Argh!

12. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

Remember though Aikido is only a set of principles and not based on how it looks. With regards to Atemi, its also just a principle, your teacher may just make a fist towards ukes face or ribs, they may make an open hand strike to the face but thats just a principle of striking. When you get the basics it can be any strike you are equipped to use, knees, headbutt, elbows anything goes in Aikido

13. OwlMAtt

I was going to say something like this. Atemi is something you can play with once you have more experience in the art. If, in a few years, you have developed a feel for your own aikido, use atemi that feels right to you. I have some background in taekwondo, and there are definitely times when a taekwondo-style knife hand strike feels like the right thing for the job.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  14. Seventh

Oh yeah, I know. It just felt weird doing it, since I'm striking in a slightly different way. That, or because I was dizzy from rolling XD

15. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Congrats on finding a good school

The entering methods will help you alot in terms of TKD sparring if you go back that direction. Enjoy the journey.

Also, If I'm not mistaken "nage" is roughly equivelent to "throw", Tori may be the term you were looking for; but as alway check with your instructor. Eastern Languages don't always structure like english in terms of adj and noun order. :)

16. Seventh

Thanks a lot!!

17. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

The whole of the Tomiki/Shodokan/Shidokan system is Kata based. Kenji Tomiki & Hideo Ohba followed the Judo model by grouping techniques into various Kata, this allowed a structured curriculum. Many other Shihan have also codified Aikido. Kenji Tomiki was a professor in education and was exposed to both Kano Judo and Ueshiba. Both Tomiki and Ohba were both students of pre war Aikijutsu, Aikibudo. Ueshiba was well known for not teaching with a structured approach, Tomiki and Ohba thought that by introducing a structured educational approach to Aikido this would allow it to be taught to young people in university. This was the late 1950's. Tomiki continued to teach at the Aikikai until around 1960.

Our association has an 8th Kyu and 8th Dan grading curriculum.

18. Seventh

...What does "Shihan" mean?

19. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

20. Seventh

Don't completely understand it, but I greatly appreciate the help!!